iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A convenient clamp for bowed cants

Started by kelLOGg, December 10, 2013, 05:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Here they are posing in front of a cherry log. They are made from spare screw clamps and re-bar with a flattened end to pierce lumber

I wanted to saw off the bottom inch of this slab under which you can see a crack of light.

I drive the flat into the slab and crank the screw. It is not much of a piece of wood to demonstrate it on but it is the first bowed piece I have since I made them. Works pretty nice. I'll see how it does on a larger piece when it is available.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

KelLOGg, always screwing around with something.  :D

Pretty good idea.....if it works for ya.......run with it.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

LeeB

Be sure and let us know when you saw into it.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

drobertson

Heck yea! better than the waste that might otherwise be chunked,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kelLOGg

Quote from: LeeB on December 10, 2013, 05:29:36 PM
Be sure and let us know when you saw into it.  :D

It is another band magnet to be on the alert for. :o
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Pretty cool.  We need something to handle those pecan logs  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

I remember the last time that you stacked pecan  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

fat olde elf

No matter what Poston says, Bob K. is a real innovator. Good work Bob !
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

xlogger

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

Those I saw for like it too, because they don't have to sit on the board to keep it flat while I'm sawing. ;D

It should be able to close a 2" gap in a bowed cant - if I'm lucky and the cant isn't too big. They were easy and quick to make. With a welder, oxy-acetylene and spare screw clamps they were done in 1 hour.

redbeard

I can see several other options for those clamps. Holding irregular crotches and natural curved short logs good thinking Kellogg.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

schmism

so the idea is that if you saw a cant with parallel faces that has spring/bow in it.   that you can then sticker it with some weight and get it to dry straight?

I was always under the impression that stress in trees (leaners etc) only made crooked cants more crooked when they dried.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

kelLOGg

It may or may not dry straight but it at least has constant thickness, so it may still be useful for siding or roofing or any application where nailing in place will keep it straight. IMO.

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

kelLOGg

Well, I just removed a 1/4" bow from each end of a 6 x ~7 x 16 pine cant with the clamps. Worked very nicely. Sorry, no pics. I was in a rush to finish before the "polar vortex" ushered in colder air.

Keep warm,
Bob

Brucer

Quote from: schmism on December 11, 2013, 11:44:48 AM
I was always under the impression that stress in trees (leaners etc) only made crooked cants more crooked when they dried.

Green wood is not as stiff as dry wood. If you can get a green piece to lay flat using weights or clamps, then there is a good chance it will remain straight after it has dried (no guarantees, though). I've found that if the wood gets wet again after it's dry, it will try to revert to where it "wanted" to be in the first place.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WDH

Quote from: Brucer on January 06, 2014, 09:57:14 PM
If you can get a green piece to lay flat using weights or clamps, then there is a good chance it will remain straight after it has dried (no guarantees, though).

Yes, that is why curve sawing in softwoods works.

backwoods sawyer

A high speed curve saw is an impressive machine to see in action, basically several thin kerf edger saws moving to the curves of the log, logs are fed thru end to end, machine dose the rest. The boards coming out the other end look like wet spaghetti. The 16' curved boards were a challenge to get thru the unscrambler's at the sorter and stackers. After kiln drying and trimming the lumber in the yard was nice and straight.
These little clamps are a simple handy way to hold the cant solid. I like to leave the stack in place for the added weight on the last cut as well, but would put those clamps to good use as needed.
There will always be a percentage of trim loss, the less the better.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!