iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would like to say hello.

Started by Merlin, January 02, 2014, 06:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Hello all. I have been lurking this site for the past 2 years as I have been searching for a mill. The members all seem very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. I live in Nova Scotia where I have a small 40 acre plot with horses, cows, chickens, border collies and of course a wonderful family. I work as a high school teacher teaching chemistry and physics, but whenever I have the chance, I am in the woods hauling firewood and logs.
So that's a bit about me, will hopefully have my own mill in the near future as I have run both a hydraulic WM and a manual SMG mill.

Happy New Year to you all.

Cheers,
Merlin
2018 LT15 Wide, 2012 Kubota M8540 w FEL, Norse 390 logging winch, IH 484 w FEL, several Stihl Chainsaws. 115 acre family farm with NFLD ponies, a few beef cows, 1 Border Collie, a very understanding wife and 2 great kids.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

kelLOGg

Welcome!

Quote from: Merlin on January 02, 2014, 06:24:42 PM
I work as a high school teacher teaching chemistry and physics

Those were my fields, too, before I retired.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mesquite buckeye

Welcome.  ;D  Now bring on the pictures. 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Birchwood Logging

John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

drobertson

Howdy Merlin, glad you hopped on, two years seems like a long time to lurk, it only took me reading one post, that said, Happy New Year to you as well,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Planman1954

Hi Merlin! Welcome home...
Maybe you and Magicman can get together and exchange tips!  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Bill Gaiche

Welcome Merlin. Keep us posted on your hobbies. bg

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Possum Creek

samandothers

Good to have ya join!   Hope you find the right mill!   Of course whatever you buy and works for ya is the right mill.

jmouton

welcome to  ff  merlin

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Merlin

Planman, I don't think I would have anything to offer Magicman in regards to tips. He seems to be the all knowing man!

drobertson, it was a long time. But I really don't have much to say or offer. But I felt like I should at least say hello.

Mesquite, I'll try to add some pics from the gallery, but they may not work.

And to the rest of you, thank you for the warm welcome. I'll try and get some pics off my laptop later when we were milling this summer.

Cheers
2018 LT15 Wide, 2012 Kubota M8540 w FEL, Norse 390 logging winch, IH 484 w FEL, several Stihl Chainsaws. 115 acre family farm with NFLD ponies, a few beef cows, 1 Border Collie, a very understanding wife and 2 great kids.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nice Tractor Merlin!
If a question on Chemistry or Physics comes up.......I'm betting on you!  :D

Welcome to the Forum.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sawdust Lover

Welcome Merlin, Keep us posted!

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Nomad

Welcome Merlin.  That looks a lot like... um... snow.  You're obviously not in Poston's neighborhood!  Or mine either, for that matter.  I won't hold that against you.  Welcome anyway! ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

YellowHammer

Looks like you have a beautiful place.  Welcome
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jimmy Mc

Welcome.
You have a very nice place. And I love your tractor. Keep the pictures coming.
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

thecfarm

You need bigger trees behind that tractor.   ;D  Welcome. How many hp is that? Nice winch too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

arnold113

DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Merlin!

Nice introduction along with the pics!  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fat olde elf

Welcome Merlin !!! Spent some time in your part of the world.  Spoke at a Flowers Canada convention in Halifax in the 70's.  Made it to Peggy's Cove ! Canadians are wonderful hosts ! Say your prayers.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

SawyerBrown

Welcome Merlin!  You're a brave man -- not just from logging and sawing, but for teaching high school science!!  We don't have nearly enough teachers with real-life experience, thanks...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!