iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honey Locust

Started by D6c, August 10, 2017, 07:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Ran across this honey locust out in my timber yesterday....nasty wicked thing that needs killed.
I have several other fairly large ones that don't have quite as many thorns and was thinking of dozing them out.

Does honey locust have any value and does anyone saw it?

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tule peak timber

We recently sawed some for a customer- very pretty wood !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

fishfighter

I have a bunch growing on my place. Sawed up a died standing tree. Nice lumber and somewhat hard. Guess do to it was on the dry side.

dgdrls

paul case

I have sawn a lot of it into pallet stringers and ties. Worked good.
I dont know how the logging end went with all them thorns but they were all gone when they brought me the logs.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Not all Honey Locust trees have thorns.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Carson-saws

Although Black Locust is preferred, I am pretty sure Honey is 2nd running for L.E.E.D.  Definitely pretty stuff, but I am sorta partial to Osage Orange.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

D6c

Quote from: Carson-saws on August 10, 2017, 10:42:31 PM
Although Black Locust is preferred, I am pretty sure Honey is 2nd running for L.E.E.D.  Definitely pretty stuff, but I am sorta partial to Osage Orange.

Not familiar with "L.E.E.D"
I also have a ton of old hedge (osage orange), most too big to use for fence posts.

Brad_bb

Honey locust is my second favorite wood.  I also love them in tree form.  They give some of the best filtered shade.  If you don't like the thorns, prune them up out of reach.  As they get older, they will have less thorns on the trunk.  Young trees have a lot.  It's a defence mechanism for the young tree.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Carson-saws

D6c....L.E.E.D.  ...USGBC or Green Building
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

OffGrid973

Little tid-bit of knowledge is that Honey Locust is one of the few natural species that has fluorescent characteristics.  Yes it glows under a black light and I think it is my #1 favorite wood to work with.  Get it on the mill, spray with a hose and send some pics ! 
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

ozarkgem

I saw it whenever I can get it. It is a HARD wood when dried. The old planer just screams. It is a really pretty wood. I would think 2" slabs if its wide enough.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

TKehl

We've got a fair amount, but only a few are large trees.  Looking forward to milling some.  Has just been good for firewood and flat tires thus far.   :D

I do think that to get the real value from it, it needs to be direct/specialty market, finished product, or at least closer to that.  I'm betting volume buyers will tell you, "yep, it will make a tie or pallet wood."

Does NOT have the rot resistance of Black Locust.  Not horrible, but not in the same league as Hedge or Black Locust.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

TKehl

I should also add that it spalts NICELY judging by the firewood I've split.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!