iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade tracking/tighting and shaft diameter

Started by mikalnau, August 29, 2017, 12:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikalnau

Hi! As stated in another post, I´ve just begun to collect the parts for my sawmill build.

I´ve seen a lot of youtube-videos, and the same amount of different solutions on how to track and tighten the blade. I´ve attached a photo of what I think look like a good and simple way to track and tighten the blade (creds to Larry Sbrusch on Youtube).

1) Can anyone see any obvious downsides of doing it this way?

2) Is it sufficient to have tracking on just one of the wheels? Should this be the drive wheel, or the other wheel?

3) The setup shown is with 1" shafts and pillow blocks - is this sufficient? I`ll be running with 19" wheels, and want the mill to be able to run with a 10-12 kW electric motor. Im mostly worried for short bearing life if I go for too small bearings...

grouch

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd hate to have to adjust tension and tracking with a setup like that. Way too much fiddling and not enough separation of functions. You need isolation of movements so that each can be made as precisely and simply as needed.

Adjusting tension needs to be simple so that you can do it every time you are done with the mill or change the blade. This should not affect your tracking adjustments or you're going to leave the mill to rust or avoid changing the blade when it needs it.

You need a separate means of adjusting in each plane for tracking. This needs to be done in tiny amounts and you need to be able to lock each adjustment as you get it right.

[edit to add:]
I'd search the Forestry Forum rather than youtube. Higher signal to noise ratio for sure.
Find something to do that interests you.

Pabene

You need to be able to adjust the tracking on both wheels. (With just adjustments on one wheel, you have to be able to adjust the axially position for the other wheel.) In my opinion a 1" diam. shaft is to week, I would go for a 1,5" dia. For the blade tension function, you need to have some kind of slide with a spring as transfer the tension force to the wheel slide assy.

Den-Den

I agree that tracking adjustment MUST be separate from tension adjustment.  Only one wheel needs tension adjustment but both need tracking adjustment capability, (one of them needs convenient tracking adjustment).

1" shaft and bearings is not adequate, you will have flex in the shaft making tracking a nightmare and the bearings will not last long.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

mikalnau

Ok, thanks! I realize that tension adjustment should be separate from the tracking adjustment.

What I dont realize is how to have an adjustment of both on the same wheel ??? Pictures of good ways to do it would be greatly appreciated!

Meanwhile I found another video (Youtube again, sorry for that  ;D), see picture below.

So if I understand you correctly:
I can make a tension adjustment like this on one of the wheels, and a tracking adjustment like originally shown on the other wheel, as long as I use a shaft thick enough to be able to adjust the axially position of the fixed wheel without causing damage to the shaft or bearings ?

grouch

Each wheel needs to be adjustable for tracking. Only one needs to be adjustable for blade tension.

Try looking at these:
Kbeitz
fishpharmer
rbarshaw
mrector
WmFritz
Find something to do that interests you.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!