iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Education videos for milling grade and dimensional lumber.

Started by Matt Agee, March 07, 2018, 02:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Agee

Is there any good Youtube videos that show how to saw dimensional and grade lumber?  I'm sawing mostly white oak and poplar.  I'm mainly concerned with the pith of the tree and how to work my way around it to make the highest quality lumber.  Thanks from NE TN.

Resonator

I would start by watching: "Canadian Woodworks - Making lumber with a Wood-Mizer saw mill." It is a 6 minute time lapse video of cutting pine 1x8's on a LT-40 hydraulic, with step by step commentary of what he is doing. Although not a video, read the "Sequence of sawing" thread. In reply #9 Magic Man shows how he cuts 2x stock, and boxes the pith. Good luck!
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

double cut1

is any one cutting 2*4 2*6 and having it graded and selling it

PC-Urban-Sawyer

That is the business model of the large commercial level operators. The effects of economy of scale mean that you cannot reasonably compete in that market. Additionally the problems and costs of meeting the requirements to legally grade dimensional construction lumber, and the nagging issue of liabililty, make it a hard road to hoe for the typical small operator. Better to find some niche market where you can truly compete...

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!