iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on buying an MS660

Started by JohnG28, July 29, 2010, 05:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Ok, so I have an uncle who has an MS660 Mag.  The saw has been sitting around in his shop for a few years now, as he inherited it from the untimely passing of a friend.  He doesnt seem to really have any use for it, and gets by with his smaller arsenal of Huskys...359, 365...I was talking to him the other day and asked about it, I had thought(and hoped) it was an 046/460, but turned out it was the big brother.  Anyway, I have the bug, and am thinking about trying to buy it from him. As I recall it was in really good condition, almost new, and hasnt seen use in years.  Now I dont really have a use for a saw this size, at least not currently, but still am intrigued.  What do any of you who own one think of it?  Is it good to have on hand if its needed, or will a lesser saw suffice?  Any opinions are welcome and appreciated.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Buck

That is a serious saw.....not the weekend warrior variety.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Ianab

What sort of tree do you normally come across?

Like Buck says, it's a pretty serious saw, and probably overkill unless you expect to be taking apart 3ft dia trees. On smaller stuff it wont cut any faster, and just wears you out sooner dragging the extra weight around.

Having said that, my buddy has a Husky 3120 (120cc) with a 5ft bar, for a FIREWOOD SAW  :D Craziest thing is, he needs it, and last tree he took down for firewood, he still had to make the felling cuts from both sides.

Other thought, if you wanted to try some chainsaw milling, thats the sort of saw you need.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JohnG28

Well, first off, I understand that this is one serious saw, which is part of my reason for asking.  I have thoughts of possibly getting some sort of tree business together, someday, but Im far from that point, and far from anywhere Id use this saw much.  But Im thinking at some point it could become useful, and have also thought of trying some milling at some point in time.  Im not going to find myself in any big timber anytime soon, so its not a necessity by any means.  Like I said in OP, I thought it was an 046, which I could see justifying a lot easier, but not the case.  I guess the voice inside telling me I need more saws is what got me thinking here, and Ive heard that this saw is pretty bulletproof, so seemed like a good idea.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Buck

check out some of the stuff customsawyer has posted lately.  if that looks like what you have in mind you will definitely use it.  Bought right is half sold.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Ianab

If the price is right, then get it.

They are a big pro grade saw, but as long as you are comfortable wielding it then it will chew up larger size logs into firewood double quick.

Look after it and it will last for years, and have a good resale value as long as it's in good condition.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JohnG28

I appreciate the info and input guys, thanks.  Ill have to work on the price thing a little, he had said he was trying to get around $1000, but hes a little out of his mind, theyre running around $1100 brand new here.  Im thinking more around $500-600 would make it worth while, will see how that goes.  Again, thanks for the help.

Rocky_J

He's going to have to sit on it for a couple years until reality sinks in on the realistic value of the saw. On the other hand, some fool might come along and give him $1000 for it without ever checking new saw prices.

JohnG28

I agree completely Rocky, although I dont think he was 100% serious either, but I think he thought it was priced a little closer to an 880 new.  May just want to keep it around too, price it beyond what most will pay just to keep around, guess time will tell. 

Rocky_J

I know a couple guys who have bought or sold used 660's for around $600-$700. And I recently bought a very lightly used 880 for $1000 plus shipping, but that was just the powerhead without bar and chain. I spent another $300 for a 42" bar and a couple chains.

My own personal opinion on used saws is to pretty much consider the bar and chain as garbage (or a spare at best). Figure the cost of a new bar, chain and sprocket into your cost structure since it will be a rare instance when all three are in very good shape. Seems like very few saw users ever think about the sprocket. Replacing all three will ensure that you're starting out with a cutting system free of defects or problems.

JohnG28

Thanks for the price references.  I was thinking the same about the bar/chain, seem to recall the bar might have been bent, although I do believe it still had most of original paint and Stihl logo still in good shape. I think it was a 28".  Hadnt thought of the sprocket though, thanks for mentioning that, appreciated info.

s grinder

The guy can't be serious for a $1000.00,just purchased a new MS660 with a 32" bar for that price,was a special order and the guy couldn't come up with the money.Was sitting in his show room for 5 weeks.I'm in the stump grinding business and needed a big saw,nobody stocks saws this size in my area.

Al_Smith

A grand is a tad steep for a used 660 .

On that size of saw it would make sense to just hang a 36" bar on it and be done with it .Smaller bars ,say 24-28" can be handled about as well with a 70-80 cc saw range .To each their own though .

One fellow of whom I won't mention his name although he had a love affair with Stihl used an 066 with a 20 inch to cut firewood .I personally thought he was nuts but perhaps he was killing two birds with one stone .Cutting firewood and exercising at the same time .He was a skinny little dude though so it must not have worked like he planned it . :D

logger444

don't buy it. saws are not designed to sit around. the saw has sat for years and now your not even sure how much you will use it. if you encounter big wood call a friend with a big saw.

JohnG28

I dont think Ill be buying it, just dont think Ill have much use for it.  I do have it in my posession right now, has a 25" bar on it, and it sure does seem like a beast of a saw, ran it a little today.  I borrowed it because I may have a tree to drop for a buddy, think its an oak, about 30" dia.  I also think the rim drive is pretty worn, threw the chain off running in some light wood, thanks for the advice there Rocky. Bar isnt bent, not bad shape actually, but may have jacked up a brand new Stihl chain on the chain catcher, better than me being jacked up though. Maybe he will just forget I have it and Ill hold on to it a while.

Rocky_J

Throw a new rim sprocket on there just for giggles. Only $3 (or $8 if you buy one from a Stihl dealer) and your chain will not stretch out as quickly.

JohnG28

I was thinking about doing that, especially since I may have some use for it, for the moment anyway.  Is it ok to use the chain if some of the drive links are gouged slightly, didnt look too bad but I didnt look it over closely, had things to do.  I just dont want to mess the bar or new rim up. 

Rocky_J

The 'quick and dirty' method of fixing a chain with buggered up drive teeth is to put it back on the saw just loose enough to where it will still move on the bar, then fire up the saw and run it full throttle for about 10 seconds. Then stop the saw and readjust the chain properly. You're now ready to go back to work and the buggered chain is fixed.

JohnG28

Thanks for the tip, Ill check the chain out when I get a chance, dont think I beat it too bad.  Im a little anxious to put that saw in some big wood, I want to see how she really rips. 

Al_Smith

You can fix bent and screwed up links with a vise and a file if you have to .Get them straight and file the burrs off them,they work just fine . There comes a point though if a bunch of the drivers are damaged .Hang the loop on a nail in the shed and use another .

oldsaw

Hey, I've got a nice 16" bar for mine.  Okay, I lied, the bar is a piece of crap, but it is 16".  I use it where I don't want to ruin a good bar.  Seriously, it's a lot of saw to haul around.  I use mine primarily for milling, but it does get to do some normal bucking and falling when things get bigger.  Most of the cutting I've done over the past couple of years has been pretty small, so my ported Husky 350 has become the workhorse, even taking the place of my usual "grab and go" Homie Super XL.

I love running that little Husky, even more than the Husky 262.  None are as fun as the 066, but that only lasts for a little while.  Eventually, the weight gets to me.  Bad back wins.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

HolmenTree

A strong 660 or 066 is always handy to own. For a tree removal business or cutting some oversize firewood, the big Stihl is a must for a stump saw or noodle splitting those big blocks for easier handling. You'll have to remove the clutch cover, leave it at home and shim up the bar nuts with some washers.
I wouldn't pay any more then $400 for a used 660, $300 if well used.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

metalspinner

After listening to you guys,  I'm feeling better and better with the deal I got on an older 066.  2 bills with no bar or chain.  Like I said, it's an older model and probably too worn out for everyday use, but the few times a year I pull it out, it has performed just great.  The 36" bar was another hundred, plus a chain or two. :)

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

JohnG28

Well I've been holding on to that 660 few weeks now and haven't heard anything about giving it back....maybe my plan is working, or maybe he's gonna give it to me for my wedding this weekend.  Although Im not so sure the Mrs will be so thrilled.  Im still waiting to get to that big tree too so good thing I still have it.

Mark K

Bring it up to the woods John and we'll put her through the paces. Congradulation's and good luck for your wedding this weekend.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!