iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lifting Tongs

Started by sawguy21, January 19, 2008, 10:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

Yesterday a customer that had ordered a set of skidding tongs from my partner called, he was wondering if they would be suitable for lifting as he wants to load logs on the trailer. I advised against it due to liability concerns and got him a price on lifting tongs which are somewhat more money but still under $300. He has elected to stay with the cheaper ones ::), this is a private operation and does not fall under WCB. I wonder if a disclaimer on the invoice 'this product is not rated for the customer's intended use' or something similar should be included.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Normally that kind of liability falls on the manufacturer not the retailer but in this day and age I see nothing wrong with stating on your invoice that it must not be used for anything than than it's intended use.

beenthere

Likely they will work for lifting, but I'd recommend that a safety chain be added. Regardless if it is a lifting tong or not, no-one should be in any place where the log can drop on them.

Other than price, does anyone see any apparent difference between the skidding and lifting tongs? The lifting tongs look to have a sharper hook angle to me. Possibly the steel quality is better in the lifting tongs, but lifting shouldn't add more forces to the hooks than does skidding (twisting, bumping, etc).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!