iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plentyful pears

Started by tyb525, September 07, 2008, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

So just tonight I happened to glance at our two pear trees out in the field, and wouldn't ya know it, they're sagging to the ground with pears! So I go get a 5 gallon bucket, and tell my mom, and we  go out and start picking. Almost all the pears were good, hardly any bad ones.
Filled up the bucket, so I went and got another one and a paper grocery bag, and a ladder. We filled those up too, and decided that was enough for today.

There are still tons of pears in the tops where I couldn't reach. I'll have to get our big ladder for those.
We got almost two bushels.

The two trees are about 10 years old or so, about 15 feet tall. This is the first significant harvest, in the past it's just been a few here and there.

I just wish our apples trees produced like this.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Don K

I see lots of pear preserves in those containers. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Those do look like great pears. What do you have planned for them?

thecfarm

Nice looking pears you have there. Enjoy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Home Canned Pears (Raw Pack)

5 pounds (10 to 12) Pears
1/4 cup lemon juice*
2 quarts water
Medium Syrup

Medium Syrup

3 cups sugar
4 cups water

Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Makes 5 1/2 cups.

Directions

Peel, halve and core pears. Mix lemon juice and water. Soak pear halves in solution during preparation to prevent discoloration. For raw pack, pack in clean, hot quart jars allowing 1 inch space at top of jar. Cover with boiling Medium Syrup leaving 1/2-inch space at top of jar. Be sure all pear halves are covered with syrup. Seal according to jar manufacturer's directions. Place jars on rack in canner. Process quart 25 minutes and pints 20 minutes in boiling water bath with boiling water two inches above jar tops. Remove jars from canner. Place on thick cloth or wire racks. Cool away from drafts. After 12 hours, test lids for proper seal; remove rings from sealed jars.

Say when

Tom

The coons and deer got mine.  I have the best tasting Baldwin pears in the world when I can get to one.  :-\

The tree was picked clean again this year.  Not a one left on the tree or the ground.

tyb525

I'm not sure what we'll do with them. Pies, preserves (thanks for the recipe Roxie), general eating. We might sell some too.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bd354

DanG yellowjackets love mine.

Thank You Sponsors!