iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kimchee

Started by woodbowl, September 26, 2008, 09:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

Now, I'm from the deep south, raised on turnips and cornbread, fried chicken, peas and okra, collard greens, sweet taters ect. When I was in the army over 30 years ago, a buddy of mine bought a small jar of kimchee. He had just got back from Korea and thought he would gross me out with it. He fixed some rice and explained how it goes together as a meal. My first thought was what is that mess! He unscrewed the jar and it started bubbling from the fermentation. He said that in Korea they put it in containers with the korean cabbage, peppers and other spices then bury it in the ground for a while. I reluctantly tasted it and probably said something like it's ok. A little while later I tasted it again and it it wasn't bad, but a little dab'll do ya. Well, I tried a little more and a little more. Next thing I knew the jar was gone. A little time went by and I started having a craving for some more. I went to the orental food store, bought a gallon of kimchee and set it on the table. He came over and almost died laughing. I was shoveling by this time, without rice or anything.

I still buy it and eat it on a regular basis. It is one of my favorite foods.  Now, what's a redneck doing eating kimchee!   I've already heard all those jokes.  ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Mooseherder

Quote from: woodbowl on September 26, 2008, 09:11:50 PM

I still buy it and eat it on a regular basis. It is one of my favorite foods.  Now, what's a redneck doing eating kimchee!   

You was low on Phosphorous? ;D

Lanier_Lurker

Well, look at the various pepper juices we southern folk soak our collard, mustard, and turnip greens in before we eat them.   8)
Now I must admit, I have never heard of anyone fermenting any of these greens, but the spicing them up - oh yes.

tyb525

Actually sounds good - I'll have to try it sometime.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Kansas

I love kimchee-the spicier and hotter, the better. Unfortunately, it doesn't like me. I can eat just about anything, but something about cabbage tears me up if I eat much of it at all. Sauerkraut does the same thing-love it, but have to take it in small amounts.

CLL

Love collard greens, blackeyed peas, turnip greens, especially with smoked ham hock. My wife teaches Tai Chi and her master was Korean. Tried kimchee and its ok, but like sauerkraut better.
Too much work-not enough pay.

zopi

yah...wotcha wanta ruin good kraut fer?

I made a batch of kraut once..2 gallon crock...lasted ten years..nobody in the family will eat it but me..

It occurs though that a couple of chipotles tossed in with the kraut while it ferments would be interesting..

Anybody ever make dill kraut?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Learaway

i like kimchee, try it with crawfish.
i need crawfish frozen ,any ideas.boudine too
cajun food is  at the top of my list for flavor.

Tim L

As I remember , It was spicy but not bad . Of course I was there as one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children and it may have been an alcohol related incident !
Do the best you can and don't look back

Thank You Sponsors!