iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me pick an attachment

Started by Salty Sawyer, February 10, 2019, 06:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty Sawyer

So I finally gotten busy enough to justify a new tractor with loader. I've been loading my Norwood HD 36 with an old Ford 3000 with 3 pt hitch pallet forks since I've had the mill. I've got a new 50hp Massey Ferguson on order from the factory with a 1800 lb loader with third function forward. I'm pretty much sold on some sort of grapple. I know it can be done with a set of forks but you lack the amount of control I'd like to have. I'm trying to decide between grapple forks or a log grapple, something along the lines of a Ingland or Frostbite grapple. I like the idea of grapple forks but see a few down sides. First no matter the weight rating you are likely to bend them. I've welded on mine now 6 times and have seen several bent pairs on skids steers from prying into log piles. Second I've heard the grapple function is way to fast on most of the grapple forks. I like the idea of a log grapple because its doing what it's designed for so I see less chance of breaking it. Also they are about 300 lbs lighter then grapple forks so we are gaining more lift. The only downsides I see are the cost of having to buy two attachments and having to switch them when I have to move lumber. If anyone has any input on either method or a particular brand of fork/grapple I would appreciate it?

PAmizerman

This subject has been covered here several times. Use the search function to find plenty of good threads.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Salty Sawyer

Thank you. I have already spend several hours searching and reading previous threads.

doc henderson

does you massey have a flow control to the aux. hydraulics?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Oliver05262

He probably can't get a flow control on the factory setup, but it's easy enough to make a  restrictor fitting or plumb in a needle valve. You only need to restrict one hose because it will work whichever way the oil is flowing.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Salty Sawyer

Correct. I would have to plumb in a restrictor valve of somesort.

Tin Horse

Not sure but isn't your Massey equipped with the 3rd function kit. If so your set. I just bought the Frost bite log grapple a week ago. Wish I'd bought one years ago. I find it safer and fast for sorting logs for the mill or wood processor. Been using forks prior. I got the 3rd function kit from Michigan Iron and Equip. Installed in an hour or so. Real happy with it so far. 8)

Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

YellowHammer

The third function valve system is key, either stock or aftermarket for a grapple.  The VR Long Valve kit is what my New Holland dealer put on mine.  Very nice, with full control plus feathering.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Salty Sawyer

I'm having the WR Long kit installed by the dealer. For those of you using the Frostbite style grapple how much precision do you have picking up logs? I've watch quite a few videos but they all just show grabbing logs out of a pile. Are you able to pinch just one log on the end? Like to unload a high sided trailer or set  a single log on the mill? Are you able to pick up a single cant or slab off the mill?

YellowHammer

I don't have a frostbite grapple but I'm sure it is nice.  I have a split jaw grapple so the upper jaws work independently so they won't torque on tapered or unusual objects. It also lets me pick up several small objects at the same time, such as stumps and debris.  If you are going to use it for grubbing or cleaning the ground get one with a round bottom float bar to keep the teeth from digging in too far into the ground when driving at high speed clearing roots.   With the VR Long valve you can feather the pressure to the grapple by moving the joystick to a near float position, if you have one, thus reducing the hydraulic pressure to the system, and allows you to control the closing pressure for delicate objects.

Once you get the feel of it, you will able to perform surgery with it. ;D  Picking a cant off the mill is easy.  Putting logs on a mill, no problem.

I can strip poison ivy vines off logs with mine, peel bark it the log is shedding, pull up fence posts, etc.

Balance is an issue as you can pick a log way off to the end and unbalance your tractor, so be aware of that.  Remember to grab the center of a heavy log, not to the side, or your tractor will start to tip.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mitchstockdale

Quote from: Tin Horse on February 10, 2019, 10:43:56 PMI just bought the Frost bite log grapple a week ago.
I see you are in Canada who sells the Frost Bites up here and how much to they run....i have been looking at Landpride and HLA for my 52 hp Kubota and they run about 4 to 5k, But would really like to look into a Frostbite.

Tin Horse

Quote from: mitchstockdale on February 14, 2019, 04:09:38 PM
Quote from: Tin Horse on February 10, 2019, 10:43:56 PMI just bought the Frost bite log grapple a week ago.
I see you are in Canada who sells the Frost Bites up here and how much to they run....i have been looking at Landpride and HLA for my 52 hp Kubota and they run about 4 to 5k, But would really like to look into a Frostbite.
The Frost bite I bought came from Grenville Quebec. Hakmet equip. They are only a couple hours from me so I picked it up. They were real good to deal with and have a lot of nice stuff. Check out their web site. I paid $2000.00 plus tax. I do like the versatility of Yellowhammers grapple but they do weigh more. For smaller tractors that weight affects lift. If you get it and can afford the 3rd function switch on the loader arm it's great.

Bruno of NH

I have a frost bite and the long kit.
I can do a lot with it.
Pick finished beams off the mill with a very light touch.
End pick logs out of the piles. 
I have broke the weld on the quick hitch mount.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tin Horse

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 15, 2019, 06:46:46 AM
I have a frost bite and the long kit.
I can do a lot with it.
Pick finished beams off the mill with a very light touch.
End pick logs out of the piles.
I have broke the weld on the quick hitch mount.
Bruno; What is the long kit? I asked about accessories and they only mentioned the bolt on rock plate.
Mike.

loganworks2

The long kit is the 3rd function valve that operates the graple. 

Tin Horse

Quote from: loganworks2 on February 18, 2019, 06:27:44 PM
The long kit is the 3rd function valve that operates the graple.
Thanks very much for the reply. I wasn't aware it was refered to as that.  I got that so I'm all set. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!