iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I have a test for machine operators.
I toss a quarter on the ground, Tell them to pick it up with no dirt. If they can do that they can get near my mill.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

Can you pick it up with no dirt? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Resonator

A good operator with a tight machine can do a lot. The guy who put in my septic system used the 4' bucket on the 45,000 lb. excavator to screed sand to final grade level within 1/4". A good youtube video: "Dirt Ninja - Eggsrta footage". Operator picks up uncooked eggs, and sets them on top of traffic cones using an excavator with a thumb, without breaking them. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Yup Peter this guy was showing one of the hands how he could pick up quarters off of the ground.  First time that I had ever seen it done.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WLC

When I learned how to operate an excavator years ago the guy teaching me threw a stick on the ground and said pick it up with no dirt.  That was fairly easy and only took a couple of minutes.  Then he threw a fifty cent piece down and said pick that up with no dirt.  That one took a while, but I finally did it.  Just wish I still had the muscle memory to run one efficiently and skillfully.  I can grub out stumps with the best of them though..... :)
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Yeah, ok, Magicman.  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

fishfighter

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 14, 2018, 05:35:42 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 14, 2018, 01:21:45 PM
Can you pick it up with no dirt? :D

Yes, I can, easily.

Heck, I went thru that test and when I did, I made change of 5 nickels'. :D

Kbeitz

I seen a person pick up a dime off a cement floor with a forklift truck.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Quote from: WDH on February 13, 2018, 07:38:37 AM
DUG,

I bet that if you sawed them into posts that you could do well with them.

I probably could I can sell locust posts for $2/BF and for some specialty cuts I can get $3/BF for it.  Thing is RN they are in my way and I need cash flow so I'm looking for either a wholesale market to get em gone or sell the whole load to another sawmill.  I did have a broker ask me to quote him out 17mbf of 4x6 locust cants but I dont have enough logsto do that and its hard enough to find that I dont wanna get involved with it.  The outside lumber people want 5/4 for decking.  There is a medium sized circle grade mill over the border in VT who is interested in buying the whole load but the trucking might kill them cause I'm looking for $.50/BF picked up but I might go down to $.45 if they come get it within the next week or so just for cash flow.  My friend was telling me over the summer he sold $40k worth of locust logs to a guy all the way in CT iirc he got $.45/BF picked up and the guy bought just about the whole tree he even bought the branches, he sells them to his customer who make these weaved handrails pretty neat stuff.  Theres another guy who pays like $.60/BF but is really picky on grade and I guess took too long to load his trucks and was slow to pay so I'm gonna stay away from that guy lol. 
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 13, 2018, 12:31:58 PM
Quote from: WDH on February 13, 2018, 07:38:37 AM
DUG,

I bet that if you sawed them into posts that you could do well with them.

I was thinking the same thing, Then I was thinking what it would cost to put that load in my yard.  ;D

Send a truck you're only 3 hours away the concentration yard guys around here ship logs all over the world and the canadians buy up our logs too and truck em all the way to canada lol
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Theres a good even mix of 8' 10' 12' and 16'
Boy, back in my day..

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 14, 2018, 12:37:15 PM
I have a test for machine operators.
I toss a quarter on the ground, Tell them to pick it up with no dirt. If they can do that they can get near my mill.  ;D

If you can do it with a 4 stick back hoe that has 2 inches of slack in every direction you are a good operator. On a new machine with joysticks you are probably good at video games too

Peter Drouin

Some with 2" of slack would be hard to do for sure.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

longtime lurker

neah, its like doing a trim with my old 8K... she got some hippy hippy shake and wobble in the bull tilt but I can make a grader driver cry for want of work.

We deteriorated together and i think the slop is normal now... get all confused when i gt on a machine with tight pins and fast hydraulics :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

WDH

I can't even pick up a quarter with no dirt with my fingers  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, a carpenter/builder/contractor showed up and wanted some cookies for a bunch of table center pieces for a wedding, in August.
I told him that these were going to crack and that there was nothing you could do about it.
He didn't want to hear that.

But I cut them anyhow. I hope he and she likes them.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

That is a nice whack of cookies even though they will crumble crack.  You may be sawing another batch in late July. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The thicker they are, the more certain that they will crack.  I cut these about 10 weeks ago and tried stickering them with thin stickers to slow the drying.  Out of 140 cookies, maybe 3 of the walnut cracked.  None of the ERC cracked.  I saw them about 1 3/8" thick and that seems to work best.  Thinner and they cup.  Thicker, more cracking. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

I have been sawing nails  :).

Big old ERC log that came out of a pasture.  At least it is a pasture today.  I have found out that they was an old home site there years and years ago  :) ::).  ERC and walnut are the worst to attract bullets and nails for me.  There were indicators in the butt that metal was present.  Stubborn me tried to saw the log anyway.  After $50 in blades, I desisted. 

WDH

One more thing.  Still consorting with the  smiley_devil.  Orchard pecan. 

At least there are not any nails  ;D.

Darrel

No nails and its purdy!  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

@WDH,  If at first you desist, consort again.   8)

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 15, 2018, 08:07:56 AM
Yesterday, a carpenter/builder/contractor showed up and wanted some cookies for a bunch of table center pieces for a wedding, in August.
I told him that these were going to crack and that there was nothing you could do about it.
He didn't want to hear that.

But I cut them anyhow. I hope he and she likes them.

Jim Rogers

He just showed up to pick them up. It took me an hour to cut 34 of them and he only ordered 25, but due to the cracks already in some of them near the butt piece I figured I'd give him some extras, just in case.
I charged him $2 each for 30 of them and he was upset with the price. Oh well you can't please some people.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Kbeitz

Professional bowel makers put there blanks in garbage bags with sawdust
to keep them from cracking until they dry.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!