iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

applying tung oil to jewelery chest

Started by flip, January 10, 2007, 01:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I am in the process of building a jewelery chest for my girl friend.  I am using some mohogany with walnut accents and like a previous thread I am extremely finishing challenged.  I was told tung oil would look great so I got some and read directions, yada yada.  I have used a lot of pre cat laquer and had great success with other woods.  Any of you have good experience with the tung or best methods to apply?

Thanks as always

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Radar67

I use tung oil on some of the bowls I turn. I apply it by wiping it on using an old t shirt or some similar cloth. Let it dry 24 hours, then sand and wipe on another coat. I continue the process, going through progressivly finer grits of sanding until I have the finish I desire. It's a lot of work, but the finish product is great. If you can hand sand and wipe a finish on, you can get a professional finish. Just don't rush the drying process.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Onthesauk

I've used a lot of tung oil over the years and like it because you can go back and rub some in a year later just to touch up something.  Foodsafe so can be used on bowls.  Only problem I've ever had is shelflife, got to keep the air away from it.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

flip

Does the tung have sealing qualities like a laquer or polyurethane?  I am after a natural looking finish that is not glossy.  Will I have to reapply tung every so often as upkeep (does it evaporate out of the wood)?  I am also considering wipe on poly, also had great luck with this.

Radar67

Yes, tung oil does seal the wood. The wood soaks the oil in and the oil hardens when it dries. It will bead water on the surface. The gloss or semi-gloss is obtained by the level of sanding you do. For semi I sand to 400 grit, then use 0000 steel wool between each additional coat. You do not have to reapply the oil unless the item gets worn or scratched, then you reapply to the damaged/worn area and have a perfect match every time.

I've used wipe on poly myself...and I prefer tung oil over it for quality of finish. Try it on a scrap piece of wood first to see what you can do with it.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

I was going to make the same suggestion as Stew, apply some on a sacrificial piece of wood. Nothing worst than using something to find out it's not want you want on your wood.  I know sometimes ya get into a hurry, but take your time and do it right. ;)

I have a finish I've been using on my butternut because it makes a hard glass finish, butternut it quite soft otherwise. On that desk I'm making, could you imagine using a pen and it left pen marks in the wood? #$#@#  :-X :-X :-X  And no, wood wasn't meant to be covered up with one of them rubber mats.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill

I've used tung oil on the walnut of an old Springfield - great finish and no problems taking it outside for a walk or two in the woods in the fall.

;D

Fla._Deadheader

We used Tung Oil on all the Fiddles we used to build. It was kinda "Kid proof". It was easily repairable if messed up by rough handling. Wiped on, rubbed in. let dry. Do more. It leaves a Satiny finish, not glossy.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

flip

Excellent, thanks for the replies and Jeff, thanks for the new topic.

Flip

brdmkr

Flip,

After you have built up the finish that you like with the tung oil, give this a try.  Following the last coat of oil, get a good quality paste wax and apply the wax with 0000 steel wool.  When the wax dries, buff with a cloth.  I think this adds a great finishing touch.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

SwampDonkey

I'de buff with wax also, since the base is tung oil.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

I like to try home made finished when I am looking for an oil finish. Here's my favorite.

Mix up equal parts of tung oil (100% pure,), a spar varnish, and turpentine. Aplly it on a test piece and see if you like it.  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

flip

RESULTS!

2 coats tung oil, rubbed with furniture paste wax=1 happy girlfriend ;)

SwampDonkey

Ya done real good Flip. Sure is a lot of cutting and fitting to it. A person wouldn't realize it until they tackled such a project. That mahogany is almost like cherry in color, but a lot heavier. ;D

Norwiscutter

If my wife see's this I am in trouble...

Great work... most of took a lot of hours.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

flip

It didn't take that long.  If I would have written down my ideas BEFORE I started it would have been quicker.  Dresser and chest are next...I am going to get a load of cherry in kiln this weekend and start next week.  Dad has a new shop on his house so between him working on a desk and me on this we wasted more time getting out of each others ways :) More bull shooting than working.  At least this time I have plans.

Thanks for the kind replys and information guys.

Flip

Patty

The jewelry chest is awesome Flip.  8)    Next job is to fill the chest up with fine jewels!  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

brdmkr

Looks good.  I really like tung oil finishes 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

pigman

The jewelery chest looks nice flip. I tried tong oil on a project once and got a splinter in my tong. ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!