iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I fired a guy Friday

Started by CTL logger, February 12, 2017, 07:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTL logger

Been in business for myself for almost 20 years never fired anybody. My truck driver has been rubbing me the wrong way for the last 4 or 5 months. Mostly not hauling as many loads as you should be able too, and not maintaing the truck. I found his replacement and let him go on Friday. I was all ready for a big argument and he said ok and cleaned the truck out and left. The new driver works circles around the last one, didn't realize til i got a guy who wants to work how worthless and plain lazy the other guy was.

livemusic

He probably knew how worthless he is and expected it sooner than you gave it. Some people just are going to be mediocre, or worse.
~~~
Bill

sawguy21

Look after the new guy, he sounds like a keeper. I have seen too many good people become indifferent because the boss is.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kderby

This caught my eye!  I fired a guy a few months ago.  This is a feeling/situation I know.  Small town and he had lot's of "kin" but my worker went peacefully as well. 

There had been some conflict at work.  I had offered "Mr. Trouble" several options for change.  The change he wanted?  He wanted me to fire one of the other guys.  Sure, I'll terminate the other guy (who is doing his job).  Then I can hope you will actually step up and do your job?  Months later the other guy is still doing his job and Mr. Trouble is long gone.  I hired him because he had prospect.  I really wanted him to seize the opportunity to stay.  He just didn't want to be here and I am better off without him.   

There are job "makers" and job "takers."  I had always been a job "taker."  Now, I am the one saying,"your hired" or "I'm going to have to let you go."  It is very interesting to be on this side of the coin.

KDerby

CTL logger

Quote from: kderby on February 13, 2017, 02:45:40 AM
This caught my eye!  I fired a guy a few months ago.  This is a feeling/situation I know.  Small town and he had lot's of "kin" but my worker went peacefully as well. 

There had been some conflict at work.  I had offered "Mr. Trouble" several options for change.  The change he wanted?  He wanted me to fire one of the other guys.  Sure, I'll terminate the other guy (who is doing his job).  Then I can hope you will actually step up and do your job?  Months later the other guy is still doing his job and Mr. Trouble is long gone.  I hired him because he had prospect.  I really wanted him to seize the opportunity to stay.  He just didn't want to be here and I am better off without him.   

There are job "makers" and job "takers."  I had always been a job "taker."  Now, I am the one saying,"your hired" or "I'm going to have to let you go."  It is very interesting to be on this side of the coin.

KDerby

Good way too look at it. I tried and tried with this guy he just never got the job. His last week he tore the driveshaft out of the truck told us to let him know when it was fixed and he'd be back. This isn't why he got fired it just topped it off. He was nothing more than a steering wheel holder and that was questionable at times.

CTL logger

I've driven truck for 23 years and never did this. It was on flat ground when it broke he was spinning the front axle after it broke i was sitting in another machine jumped out walked 200 ft to the  passenger door opened it said you broke the driveshaft! He looks at me and says what?

sealark37

Not to worry.  He is at the Unemployment Office this morning filing for his bennies.  He can't believe that you took so long to cut him loose.

Ken

Fortunately I have never had to fire anyone. Most of my employees had been seasonal in the past and many did not get invited back.  This past summer I was prepared to send someone home but he did me a huge favor and quit the same day I had decided enough was enough.  Best thing that could have happened.  Ended up with a much more reliable and productive operator for the harvester.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

dustintheblood

Had a guy working for me once who was a good enough fellow, but not the sharpest tack in the drawer.  I kept him busy doing the repetitive stuff, cleanup etc.

Building pallets one day, and I had another of the guys using the air nailer.  I'd told the 'tack' not to use the air nailer. 

It wasn't 3 minutes later I heard "bang bang ----ting".  Tack was shooting it off against the wall for giggles.

"Tack" was terminated with just cause.  He became someone else's liability.

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

CTL logger

Quote from: sealark37 on February 13, 2017, 01:27:46 PM
Not to worry.  He is at the Unemployment Office this morning filing for his bennies.  He can't believe that you took so long to cut him loose.
That's what i figured but he got a job for a guy i know hauling chips. I bet if the guy would've called me he wouldn't have hired him, he'll figure it out soon im sure. At least it won't be against  my unemployment.

chet

I once fired a guy before he even went to work. After I told him he was hired, he informed me he leaving town on an extended vacation of sorts for a couple of months. But he would call me when he got back. I told him don't bother.  :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

kiko

I use the element of surprise .   I just say, by the way today is your last day.

BargeMonkey

My opinion is always skewed because I see it from 2 sides with having a business and still working for someone. "This place will ruin a good man" is the saying where I work, as an employer if you don't want to spend the money to fix stuff or pay some of the guys enough to care then you get warm bodies. It took me 2yrs to finally acknowledge that sitting on my phone drinking coffee all day and only fixing stuff when it's finally broken, not how we do it at home.
Historically we don't hire or fire alot of guys. Guys either make it a week or 20yrs. We have lost 3 of our better guys in the last couple yrs due to health issues, one was with my father for 28yrs, I literally grew up with these guys. The problem is alot of guys don't realize what YOU as the owner have tied up, to them it's just a truck, machine, they aren't paying for the parts. They aren't out chasing work, to them it ends at 330.
Having a guy go quietly is a blessing anymore, wait till you get a guy go on Facebook and throw an epic temper tantrum for the world to see. We pampered one of the operators because we could send him on larger dirtwork jobs alone, we took on some bigger work just for him and instead of talking to my father like a man he throws his keys to another employee and becomes a keyboard warrior. I had a machine go down and waiting on the mechanic, I give the guy a choice of doing something else, he decided to go home, his wife is a drunk and proceeds to bash me online, Had a part time guy beg us for fulltime, chase down work and buy him a newer triaxle when money was beyond tight, that's why we didn't jump that day in PA yrs ago when I met you looking at that Timbco,  2wks later he decides driving isn't for him. They don't care. We will be at 22-25 employees by june, we take care of our good core guys. We get 5-6 slugs a month who want work, my stepmother was practically in tears in Oct because there was nothing we could do to keep this younger guy we had groomed out of highschool, the guys who care and want to work are rare by us.
My town supervisor is retired from IBM and very sharp. We got offered a "grant" with our latest expansion, it was 125,000 FREE and 250,000 @ 0%, but when you got down to the fine print it stated that for 5yrs, 51% of your employees had to be sourced from "job core" or from one of these places that helps mostly ex-cons and drug addicts find work, we couldn't throw it in the fire fast enough. 😂

ehp

I guess I see it more from the owner side , when I finished high school I took over the logging end of the business so had around 37 guys to look after plus run my own crew logging , I have zero trouble firing someone that needs to be gone , if I see the guy is having trouble at home or something but is trying I will do whatever to help him out , But some guys you cannot help , they just donot get the idea that I have to make money to pay them

coxy

what really ticks me off the most is I have fired my self a 100 times but I keep showing up for work  :D

Corley5

I hear ya Coxy.  I too keep re-hiring myself  ::) ;) :( :D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!