iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steep ground harvest of large cherry, poplar, beech

Started by Jasperfield, March 30, 2010, 12:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

I own both of these sites and others similar.

These instant sites are in WNC at 4200', North facing slopes of 23%-90% with deep, dark topsoil and very limited access to trails/roads. Last logging was about 1930 on site "M", and about 1960 on site "H".

The logging area within Site "M" is 60+ acres containing cherry, yellow poplar, and beech of average dbh's +/- 20", 24", & 22" respectively. This site also has some red & hard maple.

The logging area within Site "H" is 36 acres and consists primarily of yellow poplar which has average dbh's of 19". Access onto and within it is somewhat limited.

I am interested in harvesting in a manner that will yield the the best return in dollars while concurrently leaving a healthy forest.

My Question is this:What type and weight equipment will be necessary to most cost-effectively harvest the timber? I am interested in this question because it will help determine the firms I contact for consideration. My time horizon for harvest is soon, but not necessarily "right now".

I've been thinking that the primary felling equipment would consist of a tracked tilting-cab swing-machine with a feller-buncher that has sufficient weight to cut the trees and then place them on the ground for export to a landing.

I will retain a Professional Forester and consider his advice.

Thank you for your replies.

DirtForester

Quote from: Jasperfield on March 30, 2010, 12:22:24 AM

I will retain a Professional Forester and consider his advice.

Thank you for your replies.

Let your forester deal with these questions.  That is what they are there for and do best.  Ask for a competative bid from the loggers.
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

Ron Scott

Ditto! Retain a profesional forester for the on site advice.
~Ron

stonebroke

In the northeast, this would be a chainsawjob. Then a dozer to prebunch and a cable skidder to get them to the landing. The loggers around here do it all the time. We have some nasty hills.

Stonebroke

DirtForester

Quote from: stonebroke on March 30, 2010, 11:10:37 AM
In the northeast, this would be a chainsawjob. Then a dozer to prebunch and a cable skidder to get them to the landing. The loggers around here do it all the time. We have some nasty hills.

Stonebroke
Correct, and if the timber is that valuable, it would be worth it to hire a dozer or excavator to scarf out some side hill skid trails.

stonebroke

Quote from: DirtForester on March 30, 2010, 11:42:59 AM
Quote from: stonebroke on March 30, 2010, 11:10:37 AM

Stonebroke
Correct, and if the timber is that valuable, it would be worth it to hire a dozer or excavator to scarf out some side hill skid trails.

I am glad somebody agrees with me at least some of the time. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Stonebroke

ford62783

im with stonebroke there we do it all the time here i dnt use a dozer to bunch them u just get what ur cabe reaches and less chance of a felerbuncher rolling over but in my opinion it would be the most profitable that way to may take longer but over time it would be more in ur pocket cause the bigger the company the more over head and the more they need to suffice there payments
timberjack 240e

acl2

If a guy bids on the timber he is going be confident that he can get the timber out with the resources he has. Just let the rest up to forester. 

timberjackrob

i live in south central ky and we log some pretty steep ground. ihave also visited western nc many times,what we have here is kansas praire compared to what you have. almost all felling is done with chainsaws here.i dont think any kind of felling machine has any bussiness there.chainsaws and cable skidders or dozer with winchwould probably be the best but i have never run a felling machine how steep of a slope can they operate on safely
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

timber tramp

90%?, thats vertical! Do you guys have yarders over on the left coast?    :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

timberjackrob

i have never seen a yarder operation in ky or any where for that matter. hes not kidding about 90%slopes in western nc. i have had to hook cable to trees before i cut them to keep them from falling off bluffs or to the bottom of a 400ft holler several times here in sc ky yes we have hollers in ky not hollows
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Bobus2003

Quote from: timberjackrob on March 30, 2010, 10:48:20 PM
i live in south central ky and we log some pretty steep ground. ihave also visited western nc many times,what we have here is kansas praire compared to what you have. almost all felling is done with chainsaws here.i dont think any kind of felling machine has any bussiness there.chainsaws and cable skidders or dozer with winchwould probably be the best but i have never run a felling machine how steep of a slope can they operate on safely

I was asking a Feller Operator this question a few weeks back.. He told me his Timbco 425 EX will go places that will make you very uncomfortable, If you can even get the Skidder there. He was cuttin on a slope, that as the skidder was backin up too the bunches, if the blade wasn't to the ground the rear was lifting off the ground

BaldBob

Quote from: timber tramp on March 30, 2010, 11:13:26 PM
   90%?, thats vertical! Do you guys have yarders over on the left coast?    :) TT
No it is not anywhere near vertical - though it may feel like it when you are climbing it.  A 100% slope is 45deg. (vertical is 90deg.), so a 90% slope is 40.5deg.  e.g. this symbol / would be about a 115%slope.

stonebroke

So you can actually walk up 90% slopes? some slopes around here you have a hard time climbing up and down.

Stonebroke

Horselog

I'm sure there are many mechanized systems that would be quite capable of harvesting the sites you describe, but I would suggest considering low-impact horse logging as an alternative.  I admit I am biased because I am a horse logger, but I think it would be worth your while to look into.  As mentioned, operators with expensive equipment can be motivated to work faster and potentially leave other considerations, such as site impact, as secondary.  Horses are very maneuverable, and when used in conjunction with the modern open face, hinge, and latch felling technique can be the ultimate in low impact, addressing your concerns for forest health while harvesting the timber economically.  Check out my website, www.sinkingcreekhorselogging.com, as well as www.healingharvestforestdfoundation.org for more information.  If you have any more questions let me know.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

acl2

Jasperfield

Years ago it was logged with horses. They make a characteristic wide channel in the ground and those are present today.

I'll use someone who customarily uses the swing-type tracked harvesters like Timbco. If we have to build some road it'll be minimal.

Horselog

What do you mean a "characteristic wide channel"? 

Horses can easily handle at least 45 degree (100%) slopes, and in some situations can handle steeper.
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

240b

Any kind of FB w/ tilt will be able to cut where a wheel skidder can't go.

Horselog

If you have a forester involved, he should know that cherry isn't doing that well right now.  From what I know of the market now is not the time to cut cherry, better to wait for it to go back up.  It could make a big difference.

Also, be careful to consider that if a forester is paid as a percentage of the sale then he could be motivated to cut more than would be good for forest health.  This doesn't necessarily have to be the case, but it is a major temptation.  Not every forester works on percentage, and the ones who work by the hour you know would not have a conflict of interest.

I'm still not sure what you mean by "wide channels", but the kind of horse logging I was recommending to you is a style where there certainly wouldn't be any "channels" created.  Just the fact that horses are used does not guarantee a quality harvest, which is why I specified "low-impact" horse logging in my previous post.  I would guess that any previous harvest with horses could have been one where minimum impact was not a consideration.  And sometimes they made chutes for the logs to slide down the mountain, certainly not something that we do. 

You were asking what equipment would be most cost-effective, but you seem to have made up your mind already.  Obviously you can do what you want, but I'm wondering why you care which method is used as long as it is done in the proper way?
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

DirtForester

Working by the hour does not remove conflict of interest issues..  Who is tracking the hours?.  Is the forester there more than he really needs to be?  Etc.  You know where I am going here?  It is the forester's charecter, not his pricing structure, that you have to be wary of.  IMHO.   

Horselog

You're right, by-the-hour can be conflicting too.  But lump sum pricing would get rid of any possible conflict in relation to money on most jobs.  And ultimately you do want a forester with good character for other reasons too.
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

240b

Why not just find a contractor with a good reputation and is willing to work with you. They are out there you just need to look. these aren't the guys driving the flashly trucks and running the fancy equipment.

Horselog

My understanding is that we're talking about foresters, not loggers.
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

chevytaHOE5674

A forester who is paid on a percentage of what is harvested is more apt to harvest more of the larger trees and perform a High grade. This is not always the case but can happen.

A forester paid by the hour can cheat you on the hours but he will not benefit from a degradation of the timber and the land, so your timber should get treated better.

Find a reputable forester with reference and let him do the work. Equipment used will be reflected by who is bidding on the sale. Guys who are interested in the sale will have the equipment to handle the slopes.

As for horse logging "channels" I will bet he means from the butts of the logs digging into the dirt as they go. This could be alleviated with the use of some sort of an arch to keep the butts of the logs off the ground.

Ron Scott

If you are going to hire a forester, you need to have faith and trust in the person you select. Certified foresters must follow a code of ethics among their peers just like most professions or they don't stay in business very long. If they are practicing good forestry in an ethical manner, it shouldn't matter as to what the payment method is.

I've also seen the trenches caused by horse logging when the butt of the log is left to drag and tear into the soil while being skidded. The trenches can become excessive and remain for some time and be cause for eroision of fragile soils if not handled properly. I recall one landowner having to go back with his farm tractor behind the horse logger and level out the horse skidding trenches. In this case a rubber tired forwarder would have been much less impact.  ;)
~Ron

Horselog

It is precisely because of situations like the log butts digging in that I refer to what I do as "Modern, low-impact horse logging".  I use an arch or other means to lift the butt up and it negates anything like a "channel".  The word "modern" refers to, among other things, the fact that I use an front end suspension.  "Low-impact" refers to the fact that post-harvest site condition is more important than production and other considerations.  The idea that using horses doesn't guarantee you a quality harvest.
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

Ron Scott

Well said, and that's the way to do it for low impact.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!