iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some log moving advice.

Started by JAG, September 09, 2016, 08:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAG

Hey everyone, I need some advice on moving logs. The new job I'm at has much steeper slopes then what i had for the last 6 years at the other job, and very rocky. This is in Northern CA so the ground is still relatively soft. I run a Lucas 6-18 and 8-30 and cannot mill where the logs are felled. Other than just milling where i drop trees i normally either use chains (for short distances), or a LogRite tractor arch. The terrain is way to steep for any of that and these logs are a bit big to try ether of those options. Range is about 26"-28" up to 36"-42" DBH. Is there anything that is the middle ground from a tractor arch and a Tiberjack cable skidder? Any help would be great. Thanks
Lucas 6-18, MS046, MS660, MS390,

711ac

3 point tractor winch?
Some have 12k or more of (single line) pull with around 180' of winch line.

JAG

Thanks 711ac, we have a tractor with a three point hook up. I'll start looking them up.

David-L

Try to pull straight on with tractor winches, they can tip a tractor with a big log being pulled quickly. Skidders can tip to but are more stable. Bucket on the ground for tractor logging pulling big ones in. Good Luck.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Ed_K

If you buck the logs where the tree fell, you can get away with a 3pt hitch 6k winch unless you wanting 40' lumber. I skidded a lot of 33' logs with a Fransguard winch and a 2 wheel drive 55hp tractor. If they got to be to much I made 2 logs.
Ed K

Puffergas

Some kind of cat might be worth thinking of.

I like the idea of a swing saw. The 6" is somewhat affordable but i would like to be able to make 8" boards but but the 8" swing is rather pricey.. How do you like your swing mills?
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

47sawdust

If you do use a tractor and winch on steep ground make sure your tractor is well secured before winching.Too large a log or hitting a stump or rock and the tractor will be going downhill.Stand clear of the tractor before engaging the winch.Common sense and good forethought will keep you safe.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ed_K

Yes on the well secured. Most new 3pt winches you can put the base of the winch into the ground. Also lock the brakes, I curl my bucket to max dump and push that in also.
Ed K

711ac

Quote from: JAG on September 10, 2016, 01:10:48 AM
Thanks 711ac, we have a tractor with a three point hook up. I'll start looking them up.

While your shopping, a few snatch blocks are indespensable, and a self releasing one will speed things up.

JAG

thanks guys, 711ac ya i snath blocks are a must, puffer gas i like them a lot they are very portable and simple, a lot more simple then moving heavy logs up steep hills.

dgdrls

Lewis winch with some snatch blocks, you can par-buckle them up most any slope
or straight line pull them,  anchor required ;)

D

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

schmalts

On the popular auction sight there are a bunch of W-874 PTO drive winches. They are made for military trucks and are surplus. Anyone have any ideas if they could be adapted to a tractors PTO??  I cannot find specs of what the shaft input speed and power needs to be but it is a pretty small shaft so I would guess a tractors 540RPM PTO would power it well.  I am not sure what they mean by "worm break" on some of the descriptions. If it is an off on clutch that would be needed as I do not know how else you could turn the thing on or off besides the tractors control.  Any ideas?

Puffergas

On my doodlebug I had a standard pto winch. Worm drive with a brake on the end of the gear. Round cover had arrows to show the direction to tighten, if I remember correctly. Yes, use tractor clutch to engage winch.

Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

ppine

There are practical limits on slope for using conventional yarding equipment.  Typically it gets a lot more difficult with slopes much greater than 30 percent.  You do not mention the steepness of the slopes you are working with.

The normal response to steeper country, is a cable show.  Commercial scale yarding would include some portable spars with a an overhead mainline and a moving carriage like you can see on "Axe Men."

For smaller scale operations, it is possible to use winches and snatch blocks and maybe a cable yarder.

There is a lot steep country in the West, and cable shows are the norm in a lot of places.

Forester

Rural

On my small (30 acre) property just about every log is going to be at the bottom of a steep slope and inaccessible directly and must be winched. I have a home built hydraulic winch on a midsize 35hp tractor which will pull the tractor back with bucket dug in, I generally cut logs to length where fell  depending upon size and weight (and slope) but the biggest problem I have is the log digging in, a companion with a big bar (or peavy) giving the log a roll usually helps ..... we are not a commercial logger and not in a  big hurry. For a really tough one we will chain the tractor to the nearest tree and double line it, as others have said in tough places a snatch block to get a straight pull and to direct the log around objects is essential. Have tried a skid plate under the front of the log but it rarely stays put so more work than help!
Can hardly ever remember backing up to a log to haul it out in this rugged property, just finding a trail to get close can be a challenge.... LOL

47sawdust

About logs digging in....I have had success hanging my snatch block from a tree,a small aluminum ladder helps to gain more height.Others have used skidding cones with good results.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

John Mc

Quote from: 47sawdust on September 13, 2016, 05:47:16 PM
About logs digging in....I have had success hanging my snatch block from a tree,a small aluminum ladder helps to gain more height.Others have used skidding cones with good results.

Or made a skidding plate (or used the hood from an old VW beetle).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JAG

PufferGas did you build that doodlebug? That looks like a warpig if i have ever seen one.

PPine, yes the yarder is a go-to around here but with this very small amount of trees needed to be taken it seems to much to get into, i dont have one nor know where to get my hands on one. sounds like a strong tractor winch or a winch buggie might be worth trying.

ppine

Puffergas is showing one of the good old style gypo rigs that works everywhere.
Forester

schmalts

Quote from: Puffergas on September 12, 2016, 08:45:52 PM
On my doodlebug I had a standard pto winch. Worm drive with a brake on the end of the gear. Round cover had arrows to show the direction to tighten, if I remember correctly. Yes, use tractor clutch to engage winch.

Looks like it came off the mad max set

Puffergas

It was an easy build. Removed the old bed. A fella down the road had the wrecker bed. I just had to rig it on and pto shaft stuff. Worked darn good. She would level out the skid roads as ya skidded. In mud singles would work better. In the woods a skidder is best then a homemade doodle bug of sorts.
Jeff

Puffergas

Jeff

ppine

If you are in PA call Puffergas and get some work done.
Forester

thecfarm

That looks good. Before I started to live here,I use to drive my truck in the woods and throw the wood right into the body. My land is hard to get around on. The truck was hard to get turned around in the woods. Really no way to drive in and than drive out. Have to turn around somewhere.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Puffergas

The truck turned around in the woods ok but didn't have power steering. If I did it over the steering wheel and box would get tossed and a hydraulic valve and cylinder would replace it. Love backing up with a valve steering.
Jeff

DDW_OR

How would it work to use "Over the Tire Tracks " on the rear tandem axle
Like on a wheeled skid steer's

"let the machines do the work"

lopet

Don't think that would work because of the leave springs on the truck axles. Too much give and the tracks come off.
You need either a boogie axle or a couple of fixed ones, like they are on a skid steer.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!