iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old log loader identification help

Started by jason.weir, September 18, 2017, 10:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason.weir

I'd like to get a manual for the loader but need to know what it is first - anybody recognize this old gem?

It's got 6 levers, 2 for the outriggers, boom up\down, stick up\down, grapple rotate & grapple open\close

The platform & seat do not rotate with the boom & it has a large chain and 2 cylinders that rotate the boom

The grapple is a bypass unit but not continuous rotation - only about 300 degrees or so..

Thanks,
Jason

North River Energy

I suspect that's a Ramey. Later bought out by Serco, I think.

snowstorm

or a tree king. made in skowhegan maine. they are no longer. they were known for breaking the swing chain and then the windsheild

jason.weir

Serco could not identify it....

Thanks for trying...

-J

snowstorm

I still say its a tree king. If the chain brakes there is nothing to stop it from swinging all the way around. Could get exciting

jason.weir

Quote from: snowstorm on September 19, 2017, 01:59:39 PM
If the chain brakes there is nothing to stop it from swinging all the way around. Could get exciting

noticed that - gotta be ready to set things down quickly..

Not much info regarding Tree King loaders on line - still looking

-J

Bert

I have the exact same loader only mine is painted yellow. No idea of the the brand. Its a stout little thing for what it is.
Saw you tomorrow!

snowstorm

Tree king went out of business in the 70s

jason.weir

Quote from: Bert on September 20, 2017, 10:47:02 AM
I have the exact same loader only mine is painted yellow. No idea of the the brand. Its a stout little thing for what it is.

Any idea what you have for a hydraulic pump

I haven't put a pressure gauge on it yet but my loader seems weak, but it drags the motor down when I lift almost anything.

To keep the motor from stalling I have to keep it cranked up (2500+ RPM) and then the loader is just too fast and it goes through fuel like its free.

I gotta put a pressure gauge on it and see where the bypass is set & maybe a flow divider to bypass some of the flow back to the tank.

It's got a 392 gas motor in it and should have plenty of power just off idle...

Glad to hear I don't have the only one...

-J

Bert

offhand I have no idea. I bought it off CL and use it on log landings. Its mounted on a junk IH Fleetstar that has 671 detroit. It uses 5 gal in 6 hrs or so and runs at idle and will absolutely flip the truck before it stalls. I like it but the bushings are all shot and has some slop. Ill look this weekend and see whats running it when im back at the yard.
Saw you tomorrow!

snowstorm

Single stage pump 25 gpm.at 2100 psi. It's not gonna be fast. Engine speed all depends on the % of the pto. Back in the days of gas motors they used a hydraulic  govoner.  Heard of them never saw one

jason.weir

this one has a big 2 section pump - it's a Permco P2500A-299-AX-HS20-1-4-HS20-1

that translates to having 2 - 2" gear sections with these flow rates

don't know what my PTO speed is - will have to measure it, but lets just pick the middle @ 1500 rpm - thats 30.5 gpm x 2 or 61 gpm total.

again don't know what my pressure relief is set at so lets guess at 2000 psi.

61 gpm @ 2000 psi eats 80+ horsepower - no wonder it drags the motor down (no functioning governor - should fix that too)

And no wonder things are fast - gotta measure rpm & pressure and probably dial things back a bit.y

At least I'm not lacking hydraulics..

Jason

Gearbox

The hydraulic gov. is just a small piston on the carb that pushes the carb open as the pressure comes up . someone must still make them .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

snowstorm

Quote from: jason.weir on September 20, 2017, 01:14:25 PM

I haven't put a pressure gauge on it yet but my loader seems weak, but it drags the motor down when I lift almost anything.

To keep the motor from stalling I have to keep it cranked up (2500+ RPM) and then the loader is just too fast and it goes through fuel like its free.

I gotta put a pressure gauge on it and see where the bypass is set & maybe a flow divider to bypass some of the flow back to the tank.

-J
that old truck looks pretty good for being built in the 70,s. modern gas and old motors dont always work well . in case you dont know ih motors time on #8 and may need to be retarded a little more than spec. last ih gas i had was a 345. nice running motor when everything is rite

jason.weir

Quote from: snowstorm on September 21, 2017, 06:21:03 AM
that old truck looks pretty good for being built in the 70,s.

looks can be deceiving - looks good from 50 feet or 50 miles per hour.

Price was right - only gave $2500 for it - needs all new brakes, from master cylinder to the wheels, and these hydrovac setups we not that good when they were new. 

But it runs good and the loader looks to be in decent shape - not a bunch of broken & welded up junk..

I'd like to get it back on the road just for personal hauling, little firewood, some saw logs here and there.  Probably gonna shorten it back up to a 6 wheeler, no need to have that big a truck with a gas motor & juice brakes...

-J

Brandon1986

I know I'm late to the party, but that is for sure a Cascade Ramey loader.  Last time I saw one I was 7 years old when my old man sold the one off his truck.. You wouldn't by chance have a video of it running would you?  I've been looking for one just to look at to satisfy my curiosity for years now.  Some of my first memories were of riding in the 1953 Autocar sitting on a milk crate freezing my tail off because the old truck had no back window at sub zero temps.  Haha sitting here reminiscing, dad would keep his wrappers and binders in the big dent in the top of the cab of the old rusty white thing.  I sure would like to see that loader in operation..

mike_belben

-J
I know its old news now but that indicates that the pump displacement is too large or the pressure is set too high or both.
  You can smooth it out some by backing off the main relief so it doesnt call for all the HP that the engine has to offer.   
A smaller pump will go slower and stay smoother throughout operation.  
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

-J
That's odd. My old Prentiss is on a IH loadstar with 392, 25 gpm, 1850 psi. I run engine between 12 and 1500 tops. I think my pto is 105 percent.

snowstorm

if it has a tandem pump then it has a mid section in the valve bank. so boom and swing from 1 pump section stick and bucket from the other

Brandon1986

I know I am WAY late to the party, but I would bet folding money that is a Cascade Ramey.  We had one -I think- near identical to that one when I was a toddler 36 years ago.  I wonder if the original poster might have some videos of it running?  I have been looking for one of these things to watch work for nostalgia sake for almost 2 decades now. 

C5C Tree Farmer

The loader looks like a Ramey chain swing. Ramey was bought out by Barko and for awhile some of their equipment was tagged Barko-Ramey. It was my opinion that this loader ended up being the basis of the Barko 40 loader. The booms look very similar between the two.

Thank You Sponsors!