iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stockade poles

Started by ahlkey, September 17, 2010, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

I would like to pencil the ends of cedar poles for a special historic project.  The idea is that 12 ft cedar poles will be driven into the ground using a post driver, then cut so they are the pointed stockade type.  This historic look is important.  I can supply the poles and drive them in but are unaware of anyway good way to pencil the ends?   They cannot be just cut with a chainsaw or pointed by using a circular saw.  Anyone have any experience with building a stockade fence or penciling poles?  The panels can be cut and pointed with a hand saw.  I suppose we could pencil them prior to pounding but would prefer driving them as it is a big project and will cover 20 acres covering around 400 poles or so.  Thanks

1938farmall

i'd have a driving bell made up at a machine shop to match the pointed end.  al
aka oldnorskie

Jim_Rogers

Unless you want to try and point them after installation, I'd think hard about Al's idea.

To be historically accurate, they probably were pointed with an axe or some other simple tool. Maybe even a draw knife.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Rooster

If you were to try and "pencil" the tops after they were driven in, it might be a challenge to do so at far up in the air, and with them so close together.

If you used a hewing ax and an adze with the cedar logs laid across  a couple of other logs, you could roll them as you hew.

Have you considered trenching them into the ground?

Good Luck,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

ahlkey

The stockade poles will actually be about 8 feet apart with cedar panels between them.  The cedar panels will be preassembled and installation should be easy. I could use a larger pole auger to do the poles as well but the post driver would be perferred since I have the equipment.  However, as you mentioned penciling the poles after they are in the ground appears problematic.  I was hoping for some type of handheld power unit to shape the end while they were in the ground.   I did think about cutting a portion of the end with the chainsaw and then shaping it using a debarker attachment to  get that pencil look.  However, never tried that and might be more time consuming that it is worth.

beenthere

The "historic" look of pointy poles was probably the result of cutting poles to length using an axe (and possibly to shed water so they would last longer).

Maybe to be "authentic" and historic, using an axe would most appropriate.
The uniform pencil tip would not look very authentic.  It would be like a restoration of an old JD baler at the JD museum. Great except for the plywood seat.  ::)  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fred in montana

I'm not an expert but I suspect that historically they were sharpened as much as possible with an axe then drawknife before installing. Then a long trench was dug and they were placed in it and backfilled. You didn't want the enemy climbing over so sharper was better.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

ahlkey

Thanks for the input.  I have tried a few poles using a bandsaw initially, then a drawknife for finishing.  It is a slow process but faster than I thought and the end product looks good.  Overall, since the fence will not go up until next spring I will tackle the pencil work in my shop over the winter and then dig the holes.  Overall, it is a interesting project that is a lot more work than I had expected but what the heck it is for a good cause as the fence will be within a park setting. At least I will have bragging rights!

shad

the indians used to burn the end of poles to sharpen them. Try letting a wooden match burn for a while then take off the charred part, ends up fairly sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!