iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large oak beams

Started by Horselog, October 04, 2010, 11:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I am needing to source some large #1 oak beams, 8x14x28, 8x18x16, and 8x14x22 among other sizes.  I heard someone mention a place in Kentucky, would anyone know which place that might be?  Or where a good place anywhere in the eastern U.S. that could supply them.  Or maybe someone might have and idea how much beams like that would go for.  Thanks.

Side note:  Are posts on here ever deleted?  I posted this previously and it showed up for a little while then seemed to disappear. 
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

DouginUtah

Look under Commerce - Wanted. Your post was moved to where it should have been posted.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Brad_bb

Do you realize how much those are going to weight?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

There are several search engines on the web for people to use to find wood products.

One is here on this forum, you can use a "find a sawyer" and email them and ask if they have access to logs that will product this grade of lumber for you.

Another is woodfinder.com you can search there for listed companies that sell lumber/timber and see if you can find one.

Another is woodplanet.com you ask for a quote, and the search engine sends out a request for a quote to all parties who have signed up for that service.

If someone can fill your order they will contact you.

If you go to the timber framer business council site http://www.timberframe.org/ and click on the search window, and type in resource guide, you'll get a link to the resource guide in pdf or you can view it online, and then search that guide for "timber suppliers." It will list all who have signed up for that guide.

From there you'll have to email or call around and ask if they can find what you need.

That's about all I can think of to list for you.

Jim Rogers

PS. If you can't find anyone who can fill your order then you'll need to revise your need and get another type of timber or a lower grade.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

bub4e

Have you talked to Blue Ridge Timberwrights or possibly Mountain Lumber in near Charlottesville.  I'm not sure what one would have to pay even if they had timbers of that size.

Here's a question for you.  Do you or do you know of anyone who does horse logging around Charlottesville?

Horselog

Thanks everyone for the input. 

Depending on the job, I would work in the Charlottesville area.  I have worked up there before.   Why do you ask?

And yes, I realize that they would weigh quite a bit. Machine handling all the way.
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

Thehardway

What specie of Oak do you need?  My advice is to find someone with a truly portable mill.  Find the tree that meets your spec, fell it and mill it on location to rough dimension. Might want to talk to some arborists, tree services etc. Then you can skid the cut timber out with your horses.  Finding a tree with 28' of clear trunk that will mill out to your dimension is going to be quite a task.  16' won't be too bad, 22 is marginal.

I can mill up to 30' and can set up in the woods.  I could potentially mill the 8X14 stuff depending on how much taper was in the log and how straight it was.  18 inch would require some chainsaw milling to prep it for the mill.  I like a challenge.  Next issue is who would grade it and what if you pay for the log, mill it out and then it doesn't make grade?  ughh. :-\

I'm in the Lynchburg/Danville area.  Oak is in big demand here right now for railroad x-ties and it is fetching a pretty good price so be prepared for sticker shock if you go through a commercial mill besides most of them aren't set up for anything past 20' long.

Depending on your profit margin you might consider buying an Alaskan mill with a MS460 and rough the whole thing out in the woods, skid it out and then take it to a band mill for resaw to final dimension.

Just a couple thoughts you may have already had.

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Horselog

The beams have to be #1 White oak, no chestnut, red, black, scarlet, chinquapin or any other kind.  We realize these longer beams are going to be hard to find, which is why I am asking around on here.  A lot of the shorter beams we need will be sourced locally, by skidding with our horses to a portable sawmill. 

Thanks everyone for the input.
Benjamin Harris
horse_logger@me.com

routestep

I just bought a No. 1 grade 9 by 12 by 26ft white oak beam from Dreaming Creek in Powatan, VA. Cost was $675.68. They keep some logs handy for their big projects.

meddins

When folks are referring to hardwood timbers graded No. 1, No. 2 etc., is this still an appearance grade, rather than a structural grade?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: meddins on October 11, 2010, 08:52:42 AM
When folks are referring to hardwood timbers graded No. 1, No. 2 etc., is this still an appearance grade, rather than a structural grade?

It is a visually graded timber, and it is considered a structural grade.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Mad Professor

Quote from: routestep on October 10, 2010, 09:58:07 PM
I just bought a No. 1 grade 9 by 12 by 26ft white oak beam from Dreaming Creek in Powatan, VA. Cost was $675.68. They keep some logs handy for their big projects.

None of those knotless 30" X 25' ash will ever go to cordwood again.

No, it's not white oak but nearly as strong, easier to hew ...........

P.S. Never had a problem with PPB here???  I hear they like ash

Thank You Sponsors!