iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

john deere 440b

Started by pigpen, September 30, 2012, 10:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigpen

the neighbor has this skidder and is having issues with ghosts steering it for him?.... says that he will be skidding along and no turn of the wheel and it takes off steering or articulating on its own... also says the brake pedel will go flat to the floor from time to time... any ideas? I have worked on this machine a bit, but dont know the answer to this one without spending a lot of time on it which I dont have of course.

Bobus2003

My straight 440 Does this often. Looses the brake pedal or steering gets hard or Jerky.. RDO Equipment (Local JD Dealer) Told me that the Priority Valve is malfunctioning.. Its a Spendy Fix (Near a grand if my memory serves me right) so i just live with the glitch

pigpen

I think this is what my neighbor had mentioned, I think he put it as a proportioning valve? Ill talk to him tomorrow and get the for sures on it... seen him tonight when i went over to get a ring off of a scrap set of chains he has to get mine ready for winter.

Decked

My ol 540A did that..ended up rebuilding the steering valve.. :'(

duckslayingpro

My 440a used to do this very often after i bought it. I would think it is the priorty valve. It could be as simple as having some dirt or other foriegn material in it. Have known guys taking theirs apart and cleaning with brake cleaner and having good luck.
I changed my filter a couple of times.and got good hydralic fluid in it and it really helped. mine will still occasionally do it. but mainly only when getting low on fluid.

pigpen

I will check with him on fluid level, He has been known to not run it full...

snowstorm

Quote from: Bobus2003 on September 30, 2012, 10:22:33 PM
My straight 440 Does this often. Looses the brake pedal or steering gets hard or Jerky.. RDO Equipment (Local JD Dealer) Told me that the Priority Valve is malfunctioning.. Its a Spendy Fix (Near a grand if my memory serves me right) so i just live with the glitch
i took the priority valve out of mine 10 yrs ago. the steering still borthers some. also if you are using the brakes and lift the blade you loose the brakes. if you have the old big blade valve that came on them new. they could cause problems. there was a update for them many yrs ago. steering valve had its share of trouble. to reseal one you need the book and a dial intracator. wounder how much of a job it would be to change it over to a rotary steering valve or helm like the later ones

grassfed

First try bleading the steering (get a manual it will tell you how.) The valve that you guys are talking about is called "JUNCTION BLOCK WITH STEERING AND BRAKE PRESSURE CONTROL VALVE" at JD parts .com. you could try rebuilding this valve and then bleeding the system. If this guy lets the hydro fluid get low he will get air into the system and it will do strange things untill it is bled.
Mike

Kodiakmac

Yup.  My old 440 takes a bit of a fit every now and then too.  Usually happens after start-up, or, when revs are low and maybe HD fluid level is a bit low too.  It happens infrequently, so I live with it.

Maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed to happen more when I wasn't running JD HD fluid.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Thank You Sponsors!