Sponsors:

Small stuff

Started by SwampDonkey, April 22, 2006, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

What's this tiny female flower? The scale is cm/mm's ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I cant read that ruler. Its missing 6 little marks before the one.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

:D :D Too bad.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Your gonna kick yourself for not knowing it. ;)

Texas Ranger

Birch or beech, cannot remember which one, but probably birch.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

neither.

I'll be posting pictures of it as it develops into the fruit. ;)

Tom

That ruler is in French, Jeff.  :P ::) :D

Radar67

And German, Japanese, Chinese, and Russian.  :D :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

I know it's just eat'n at ya to know what that flower is. ;D

SwampDonkey

I think it would even drive me nutz to. :D

DoubleD

IMO they belong to  Populus genus, but I am not sure because here in Italy the poplar are generally hybrid
Wannabe a sawmiller

Tom

I'm thinking, Swamp.  If I think any harder I'll go to sleep.  ::) :D

Actually it looks more like a bud than a flower.

It's nothing that I've ever seen in Florida.

SwampDonkey

Wrong genus. ;D  ;)

Tom, it's still emergant. I'll post a full bloom in a couple days. I've seen some already in full bloom, but it was over on another woodlot. The pollen flowers are out in full and you swat one of these branches and you get over taken by it. :D :D

DoubleD

Wannabe a sawmiller

Tom

It's got to be some kind of Prunus but I don't know enough to say it's cherry or plum.

You've talked so much about Canada Plum and how much you like it that I'll have to guess that Canada Plum is what this is.  :-\ ???

SwampDonkey

DoubleD, yup. It's common in hardwood country here, especially dryer sites. It's found as far south as Georgia and California. I've seen it even in the coast mountains in BC (Hazelton).

Eastern Beaked Hazel. Corylus cornuta It's funny how such a tiny miniscule little flower can produce an edible nut. Most I find have a worm in the nut, not so appetizing. ;) It doesn't look it in the picture, but the flower is scarlet red. Using the scanner causes shadows in the image, so it didn't show it's true color. I'll try the camera next time.  ;)

I'll show a picture in full bloom and then you can do a search on here of the butternut flower and see how similar they look, even though one is 3 or 4 times bigger. ;) I think most of us only notice stuff that stands out big and miss alot of the little 'small' stuff.  ;D

Hazel is an important shrub in the forest for wildlife and for soil fertility. :) It's   a terrible curse to walk through though. :D

DoubleD

I am a winner I am a winner  8) 8) 8) :D :D
I hit it when you mentioned that the male flower are producing the pollen (sorry but the dictionary don't help me on the tecnical linguage)
The species more diffusein the wood here is Corylus avellana L. while in agriculture usually use hibryd between C. avellana L. x C.maxima Mill
Wannabe a sawmiller

bitternut

Hey SwampDonkey I want an atta boy too. The minute I saw that flower I knew exactly what it was. I have some growing about 10' from where I am sitting right now. Mine are hybrids that I got from OIKOS Tree Crops in Michigan several years ago. I think they are a cross between Filberts and Hazlenuts ( they called them Filazels or something like that). Mine bear pretty good now but its tough keeping the Blue Jays and Red Squirrels out of them.

Tom

Well, Dang it!  I should get an atta boy too.  I recognized the French Ruler.  As a matter of fact I'll go even further than that and say it is either a Charlemagne or a Lous I. :D

Jeff

I didnt say I didnt know what those smelly buds were, I said I didnt know how ta read da ruler.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D Cheers  8)

SwampDonkey

I've been whacking at hundreds, more like thousands, of beaked hazel bushes and I've not seen a hazel nut yet. I went searching on the woodlot, and not a single nut on any bushes.  :-\

I've often wondered why someone has not grown them in an orchard in rows and harvested the nuts. I know it would be a battle with the chipmunk and squirrels, but they have to contend with them in any nut orchard. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!