iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Albino Raccoon

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 03, 2017, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Okay a raccoon story .4-5 years back sitting on my patio enjoying a cold one .Three little kits walked within 10 feet of me like I wasn't there .No momma coon .I had my camera and snapped three little heads up a sapling looking at me .A few weeks later two little coons then later one little coon,still no momma .I left scraps for him on a log .He must have ate them .Next spring a larger coon ,then bigger and still bigger .Today he's a big burly boar,king of the woods at probably over 20 pounds .The fatality rate of orphaned  coon kits are high but they can survive .If they can make through the first winter chances are they will be okay .

WV Sawmiller

Al,

I am really torn on this issue. Been watching Whitey since back in October. I noted he was the runt of the litter the first time I saw him. Its a struggle to let him live free and wild knowing the high mortality rate he risks rather than capturing him and turning him over to a local zoo started by a guy rescuing various mistreated and abandoned animals. The zookeeper would love to have him. He says no special permits required from DNR for albinos as nobody expects them to survive anyway.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed he continues to survive.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I hope that it makes it and becomes a sorta mascot.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I always say good food,a little shelter and a animal can survive.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 16, 2018, 08:40:21 PM
Dog food is good.  :)
Coons are tough critters.  I agree, they love dog food, if we leave our garage door open after dark, we will find the dog food bag has been hit hard by coons.  I'd feed him heavy as food is warmth, and enjoy him coming and going. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Al_Smith

Raccoons are opportunists ,very adaptable and will eat anything that doesn't eat them first .They can live in about any environment from Florida to northern Canada and live on anything from garbage to bird eggs including the bird that laid them .
I've seen people make pets from young kits but more often than not upon adulthood the call of the wild takes over .As the case of my big boar I can get within about 20 feet of him which is close enough .He's big enough to tear the ears off a good hound .No thank you brer coon.You do your thing and I'll do mine .

WV Sawmiller

Al,

When my son was a teenager he caught 3 little coons about the size of squirrels. They could eat solid food but not bite hard enough to break the skin. He gave 2 away and kept the other. We had a pet doe that same year running free in the pasture. Sean got a permit from DNR for Chester the coon and they took it to WVU where my daughter was in school and one of her best friends was in the vet program. They gave him his shots and neuthered him. My wife made him several harnesses as he grew. Took a small collar on his neck but a pretty big one around his hips with a connector on top. He was a real chick magnet and every time Sean stopped on his way back to school to walk him or such and the teenage girls saw him they wanted to come pet him which made both of them happy. If the police saw him they'd come check his permit but then all was fine. He had a lot of personality and would play chase and tag and such but would always bite if he had food. He'd go fishing with Sean and chase the minnows in the bait bucket. They'd toss him a small crappie and he'd run under the bow and snarl and snap till he finished then he was his old friendly self.

Chester had the run of their old house at their college and Sean's roommate was fine with him. They came home one day to find egg shells in front of the fridge. When they opened it they found Chester asleep on the bottom shelf. I think they taped mouse traps on the fridge door to keep him out. Chester would use a litter box but did not cover anything. There was never a dull moment with him around.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Al_Smith

Oh they are comical critters to watch even in the wild .Dang things can tell when the tomatoes get to the best ripened stage--then they take a bite out of each one .Rather fond of sweet corn at again the best stage .Don't ever get between a sow and her litter .You'd stand a better chance with a grizzley bear .It's takes a pretty good hound to best a full grown raccoon .
We have a warming spell by weeks end,they will be stirring around for a snack .They won't be on the real move until about the end of March .Then the males will get that "urge " and get clipped by automobiles by having other thoughts on their raccoon minds .Boys will be boys ya know .

WV Sawmiller

Al,

Well familiar with that time of the year. I've had times I'd hear 10-12 squalling up the holler and in the pasture and look out with a light and look like 20 sets of eyes on the hillside.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!