iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

solar panels are working!

Started by wheelinguy, April 13, 2013, 09:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelinguy

We had solar panels installed at or house and they told us that usually around here March is when we should start to see gains.  Well we received the bill from our local power company today and our grand total was negative $9.49.  With summer coming we should start racking up the kw!! 8)  One of the best no money down programs I've seen in  while.

Roger2561

Wheelinguy - I see you're from VT.  Being next door neighbors (I'm in NH) essentially we have the same weather.  I've been mulling the idea of using solar to heat my water during the summer months.  During the winter months I use my OWB.  Where did you get your PV panels?  Was it difficult to install?  Thanks, Roger         
Roger

wheelinguy

Roger, the panels were actually installed by someone else.  There is a company here in VT called Suncommon they have a program that gets you set up with panels.  They come to the house and check your solar potential, design a system send you the details and if everyone agrees you can do one of three things, buy them outright, lease them or do a prepaid lease.  We leased our panels, the payment comes to what our average electric bill was but lower than our highest bill.  Now we will have a fixed cost for electricity.  Its pretty neat they just dropped off the trailer full of equipment and the next day their guys showed up and did the install, it took a couple of days.  I have actually been looking into different ways to heat my hot water in the summer since we use an outdoor boiler to do our heat and hot water, I have been thinking more along the lines of instant hot water heater since our summertime hot water consumption is so low.  I would be very interested to see what the solar hot water could do and if in the winter it could be used I conjunction with the OWB to ease the burden on the wood pile?

r.man

Wheelinguy do you mean that your cost for March was the cost of the panel lease minus the credit from the utility?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

maple flats

I also have solar, at my sugarhouse (I make maple syrup). I have a 6.32 KW system. What still fascinates me is when I make about 200 watts from the moon and stars. It doesn't even need to be a full moon. I have seen a bright full moon make just over 400 watts. Now that is good moonshine!!
Congratulations on choosing solar. You won't be disappointed.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!