iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thought I was going to get some work done!

Started by chubby, February 17, 2018, 01:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chubby

Well the weather was co-operating, the boy's hockey schedule wasn't an issue and I even got someone to replace me at work so that I could get some logs pulled out.
2 hours in and I had snapped 4 chains and had to skid the trees 1 by 1 a half mile to the landing. Needless to say, I found something else to do today  :D

mike_belben

Thats a lotta chain for one day. 

I think its like our 7th day of rain with 6 more on the horizon. Gonna need an arc.
Praise The Lord

maple flats

Investing in some alloy logging chains will stop the breaking of chains. We have been using the same 4 chains since the mid eighties, never broke one. My tractor is only a 36 HP, and my excavator is only 28 HP, but my brother uses them too and he uses an 85 HP ASV, with an 8800# pull log winch, never broke an alloy chain yet. They are light weight too to work with. They're metric but the link gauge is about 5/16 or very slightly heavier. Before I got those it seems we broke several chains and finally gave in, glad we did. I'm sure at some point one will get enough wear to eventually break, but none show evidence of wear yet. Now I'd never suggest them for a skidder but a tractor with up to and maybe more than 8800# pull on a winch works great.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Skeans1

thecfarm

I've broken the cable more than a few times on my winch,but never a chain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chubby

Quote from: maple flats on February 18, 2018, 08:45:30 PM
Investing in some alloy logging chains will stop the breaking of chains. We have been using the same 4 chains since the mid eighties, never broke one. My tractor is only a 36 HP, and my excavator is only 28 HP, but my brother uses them too and he uses an 85 HP ASV, with an 8800# pull log winch, never broke an alloy chain yet. They are light weight too to work with. They're metric but the link gauge is about 5/16 or very slightly heavier. Before I got those it seems we broke several chains and finally gave in, glad we did. I'm sure at some point one will get enough wear to eventually break, but none show evidence of wear yet. Now I'd never suggest them for a skidder but a tractor with up to and maybe more than 8800# pull on a winch works great.

I was using Igland version of the Norse 450 winch with basic grade 70 transport chains and never broke one. The clutch would slip on anything of a decent size. Since upgrading to the KRPAN winch, there are 2 options, the tree is going to pull or the chain the is going to snap. Haha.
I just got a bunch of Pewag square link chains rated to 20 000lbs. Should be good now!
Chocker chains - Vitli Krpan

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine372

Oliver05262

Not sure; oil cooler for the Clark transmission?
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

mike_belben

I dont see any hoses but looks like a wire on right side.  Solar battery tender?
Praise The Lord

Maine372

I was think some sort of box fan/redneck AC

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

maple flats

logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Maine372

that's actually not a bad idea.....

sorry for the rabbit trail!

lopet

Looks like solar to me too. Maybe  he swapped the detroit for a hybrid or doing some cooking on the go.

LOL LOL
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

loggerman1959

I don't wanna sound like a critic , but from the looks of that photo you may wanna move your choker closer to the machine . At that distance any turn or down grade will put stress on the chain from the butt plate
. I try to hook about a foot from the butt of the tree .

Thank You Sponsors!