Sponsors:

Chips any one

Started by Peter Drouin, October 14, 2014, 08:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

The boys got here to get the chips  :D

Do you think they can get a bigger loader. :o :D

From the top of the chip pile
Blowing the chips down hill works well for me.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Now that's a chip pile Peter.

I have a customer who has enough slab wood to fill a tractor trailer, but it's too small an order for the chippers to go in for!  :-\

I've been cutting there for 8 years!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Alligator

Chips can be a very valuable part sawmill production. I can remember the period od time in the early 1960s when CBLC went from burning slabs to selling chips to paper mills. During that time paper mill representatives were active seeking sawmills to provide chips. The were offering money tied to purchase debarkers and chippers and selling them the chips through a 5 year contract. CBLC soon found out that chips came very close to covering the electricity and labor for the sawmill. This became addicting fast! In a period of 2 to 3 years, it became unthinkable to run the sawmill if we couldn't move chips

The papermills were very cooperative they would take chips almost endlessly. They could have pulpwood cut off for months but they wouldn't stop taking pine chips. (They had to be clean "low bark content") Back then no one generated their own electricity, but I'm sure they have fuel value now.

We produced about 1.25 semi vans per day. Between that and a van load of sawdust and bark we kept a driver busy hauling. If you have a bigger mill near by, they might purchase them to fire boilers for dry kiln or generate electricity. Beats pushing them in a hole. By-products some time require some creativity to turn them into $money$. My father always said we burned a million dollars worth of planermill shavings before we knew they were valuable. Our area has a large number of commercial chicken farms. They used the shavings for bedding in the chicken houses. We got $100 cash per 16' high body truck $150 if you wrote a check or wanted a receipt.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Peter Drouin

The chips are going to a place where they make the colored bark mulch for landscaping.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

blade69001

Is $10.00 a ton good money for chips 4" and smaller?
I ask because that is a price I was quoted when I started looking into it for our shop. I haul out two 30  yd containers of scraps and drops a week. Most of it we looked at chipping up and selling to a mill in the area.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Peter Drouin

Yes Red Oak, I did get MONEY :D :D :D
This is what 100 yard truck looks like Boys and girls  ;D

400 yards went out today and more tomorrow.
See how the bucket dumps, from the front.

Now I get to make more. :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

That's one way to gain a few feet. Peter,you got some chips!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I will see your pile of chips and raise you 2 more piles.  popcorn_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

thats what goats do is make piles :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :snowball: :snowball: with a face like that i just cant help myself, dont get maaaddd ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WoodenHead

Do you chip all your slabs?  Or do you sell slabs for firewood too?

backwoods sawyer

We have a lucrative chip market in this area.
My odest boy hauls three truck loads a day over to the chip terminal on the coast.

Kinda nice getting paid to clean up so you have more working room ;D

Next project: Box in the chip storage area and put a roof over it, may up value of the chips ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 15, 2014, 09:31:27 PM

We have a lucrative chip market in this area.
My odest boy hauls three truck loads a day over to the chip terminal on the coast.

Kinda nice getting paid to clean up so you have more working room ;D

I sell some softwood slabs in ½ cord bundles and chip the rest.
I sell chips to customers in the spring and summer. Come fall I sell the lot to a guy that makes mulch with them.
I won't keep chips for next spring. I do make chips in the winter and they freeze and keep good. See my customers want new looking or fresh chips in the spring.
All the hardwood slabs go into firewood and sell them too.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

dablack

I wish I was your neighbor.  I would be buying chips from you all the time.  I would LOVE to have 100 yards of them. 
Building my own house in East TX

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

backwoods sawyer

That will keep you smiling when your are feeding the chipper ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

You only sold 700 chips? I would have sold them all! :D I'd like to find a way to burn chips in my OWB.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

They had a chip burner at fryeberg, dave. Pretty cool. Believe the setup was like 25-30k

At my current fuel oil consumption, it would take 35 years or more to break even. Lol
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Peter Drouin

Quote from: brendonv on October 20, 2014, 07:14:49 PM
They had a chip burner at fryeberg, dave. Pretty cool. Believe the setup was like 25-30k

At my current fuel oil consumption, it would take 35 years or more to break even. Lol

I saw that, A big piece of chip would mess up the thing :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!