iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky heated handle bars

Started by Bobcat_pa, December 24, 2003, 08:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobcat_pa

I am just curious about this feature and have some questions:
1--do they really work ?
2--cause problems ?    (harder to start,   electrical problems, etc)
3--prone to break ?
4--how warm do they get ?
THANKS--bob

SasquatchMan

I've been told that they work really well, and that especially for arthritic folk in cold climates, they're a really nice addition, and let a guy saw longer than he might be able to if his hands were colder.  Nothing like a warm massage while yer workin.

As for how well, how long, how hot, I just don't have any idea.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Kevin

My 066 has them but I have yet to use them.

CWS

Hello All,
New here, am hoping to take up milling in the coming months,lots of info here! I'll probably ask a lot of newbie questions.
I have a 346XPG, and a 372XPG, both heated handles, and both are Walkerized. Once you've had the heated handles, you'll never want to be without them. I don't like to wear anything heavier than a cotton glove when cutting, so I can "feel" the saw. Because of this and the nice climate I'm usually cutting in, the heat is welcome. The handles can get too warm if the outside temp is above 30 degrees or so.
You will not regret the decision when the temp is zero, and the wind is blowing the snow around like a fine mist.
My 372 also has an auto carb heater which is nice to keep moisture at bay all times of the year.
Hope that helps.
BTW, how do I stretch out the message box to lengthen my
message lines? Thanks in advance.

Scott

SasquatchMan

Welcome to the forum Scott, and thanks for the authoratitive first post!  I don't know if you can make the message box wider at all... the site seems to compensate for window size on it's own - if I have my favorites list up, the boxes are less wide...

Is the carb heater on your 372 electric or is it just an exhaust-air thingy like my little Stihl 290 (which seems to work, thought I haven't run the saw in super cold whether yet) .

Kevin, it's not too late to admit that you've never even fired your 066 but just look at it and dream of being awesome. :D

Jeff

QuoteBTW, how do I stretch out the message box to lengthen my
message lines?

Welcome Scott.

Its not nessesary, just type. The lines will automatically wrap to fit forum. Simply hit enter or make a space when you want to add a break or paragraph. Typing to the size of the window you see is not recommended as it will chop your lines to a shorter length when it is displayed on a larger monitor. Just ler 'er wrap. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CWS

Thanks Jeff, will do.
Sasquatch, the heater is electric, thermostatically controlled. I think this differs on the US model Huskies where the carb heater is switched.
 In all honesty, I don't see myself buying any new saws without the heated handles, they're just too doggone nice. I haven't experienced any downside, except for the 50 to 70 dollar cost difference, and an insignificant amount of added weight. No starting problems, and no noted power loss.

Scott

Kevin

Scott;
Welcome to the forum.
I just stretched out your message a bit.
I'm not sure what you are seeing but I just continue to type along the same line and the message automatically continues onto the next line .
Squatch;
It's been fired ...

;D

CWS

Thanks Kevin,
I feel kinda dumb, definetely not the first time the PC has done that to me ;D
Well, at least I learned something today!
How do you like your GB Titanium? I've heard good things.

Bobcat_pa

Come on guys, give be the tech specs & and more opinions of heated handel bars.  SasquatchMan: I know my hands get cold, but   "I am not leaving the forest".    I would rather spend $50 and stay out there longer.    MERRY CHRISTMAS To ALL  !!    bob

Kevin

The GB works ok, it has the roller nose.

David_c

when i bought my 372xp i asked the dealer about the heated handles and he said it was'nt worth it. becuase when it broke you had to replace the handle as well. but i dont know i still think it a nice idea. any thoughts on that scott.

Kevin

The element in the rear handle is seperate and can be replaced.
The element in the front requires replacement of the handlebar.

David_c

thanks Kevin. i was talking about the front did'nt know it was also in the rear. you have a great holiday.

CWS

Bob, from a technical standpoint, I don't know how much power the handles and carb heaters pull, but I don't think it's much. I believe there is a small generator behind the flywheel that handles all the output duties. It looks like a pretty straightforward system. I've heard nothing that suggests they are anything but reliable, but I have heard that the elements will wear out over time.

SasquatchMan

Hey Kevin, I musta really hit a nerve to get you to post a pic like that! ;)  I just wonder where a guy finds square trees like that...

Merry Christmas all.

(And is it just me or does David mention his 372 in every thread he enters? :D)  

Bobcat_pa

Any one know about the steps & cost for upgrading (a saw already owned) to heated handle bars  ?    Like the 260pro  or a 353 .    

Kevin

QuoteI just wonder where a guy finds square trees like that...

They can be found growing under every Alaskan Mill.  ;D

SasquatchMan

qatanlison

The heated handles on my 385XPG consumes 35W - Which make them glow in the dark... Seriously, They get VERY hot. I turn the heat on until I feel the warmth, then shut it off - my hands never gets cold when working after that.

The older saws didn't use silicone cables so a lot of failure due to cables vibrating to a sure death was common - I just change them. The heat elements seem to work for ever though...

/Ola

Bobcat_pa

"Some guys just have no luck".   My new 346xp "G" is here from CCD.    It is 52 degress , AND  raining ! !!!  
bob

Minnesota_boy

A little rain shouldn't hurt that 346xp a bit.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!