iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD winch not holding

Started by HuZzEy, October 28, 2018, 09:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuZzEy

Hey everyone the JD winch on the tree farmer the other day I was twitchin some big poplar and I could only take 2 at a time. The winch cable kept creeping out, is there an adjustment inside I can do I don't have a manual on the winch I believe it's off a 540 John Deere thanks all

Maine logger88

Is the swivel fitting leaking oil on the band? That's fairly common on those winches I usually replace mine every couple years for preventative sake. I can't remember the adjustment it's been a long time since I put a band on my 540. 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HuZzEy

There no external leaks from any hoses. I haven't took any covers off yet to see

Maine logger88

External leaks wouldn't cause the winch to slip but it doesn't take more than a small drip inside to get on the band for it to slip

BargeMonkey

Which model is it ? 3305 or 3325 ? The 25 can be temperamental until they are just right. Staring at the back the right side is wet, left is dry. I keep a small rag folded up inside the cover as an oil indicator but normally it's to late, once the band gets soaked your out of luck. Slip you can adjust but you want to see what kind of shape your bands in, its probably glazed and why its slipping. 

Cub

The farm I worked on had a 440A. One year the winch wouldn't hold. We found some oil on the 1 side. We took it all apart. The band and fiber discs were full of oil. We brakecleaned the heck out of tge discs and band. Found a small crack in the housing. Put some jb weld on the crack and reassembled it adjusted it and it never missed a beat. Far as I know the jb weld is still holding. That's was 17-18 years ago. Although we only pulled maybe 300 cord a year. But all big stuff. 

BargeMonkey

I've tried everything possible and the band is never right. Baked them in the oven, break clean, score the lining. I'm on my 2nd reman band from Harold's in ME and the only way to go. 

teakwood

I second Barge's comment, when i was new to the FF i had the same problem with a wet brakeband. although several members here told me to just get a new brake band i did try everything because i'm as stubborn as a mule and finally ended up buying a new band. Lesson learned!  

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HuZzEy

Barge I believe it's a 25 the right side has the pinion and oil. I'll try to take the cover off on the left in a week or so thanks guys. A friend of mine has a book on his 540 but since his diagnosis with bipolar he don't talk much

Maine logger88

I am still on the same band that I put on in 2010 and I don't baby the machine lol! Granted I haven't used it much this year but up until I got my grapple skidder this past winter it was my main horse. The only thing I've done to it is keep fairly new swivel fittings on it so I don't get oil on it. 

BargeMonkey

I'm willing to text the entire winch book section if someone needed it. Picture there isnt the best. 4-11/16 is the magic #. 

Harold's in ME has been great about parts, a band from Nortrax was 1080.00 last time I checked and fell over. The next time my winch acts up she is getting the 4000S transplant. 

leeroyjd

I cannot remember if it was the cost of a new band, or the wait time for delivery, but a logger I used to work for would put baking powder on it as a band aid. It did work for a while. This was on a 540B

teakwood

If the band is soaked in oil forget baking or baby powder, this will dry the band just superficially.
I had mine redone in a Brake repair shop for 70$ and i scratched my head for how long i tried to fix the old one. But i don't know if you guys have brake shops in the U.S. Here if you can't get original brakes or they are as usual too expensive (because in CR every thing is overpriced) you go to a brake shop and they cut and fit new linings on your brake part, what ever it is. shoe, band, disk, wet or dry
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

snowstorm

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 02, 2018, 10:47:20 PM

I'm willing to text the entire winch book section if someone needed it. Picture there isnt the best. 4-11/16 is the magic #.

Harold's in ME has been great about parts, a band from Nortrax was 1080.00 last time I checked and fell over. The next time my winch acts up she is getting the 4000S transplant.
i found some old notes form years ago about the price of a deere brake band $220 from deere. how long ago do you think that was?

Maine logger88

HuZzEy

Thanks guys. I'm taking it easy on her hoping to dig into it next week

Nemologger

The band slips on my 440d so about every 2 years I spray the band good with belt dressing. It will hold good for about 2 years then I have to give it another dose. Told a friend of mine about using it for his winch that had slipped ever since he had the machine, he said it holds great now. Id try that before I tore into it.
Clean and Sober

tom h

I have a jd54ob skidder was having the same problem after replacing the band.I replaced the two springs Barge Monkey shows in reply no. 10 and it fixed my problem tom h

NWP

How thick would new clutch disks be on a 3025 winch?
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!