iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm sick of ticks!!

Started by Robert R, April 21, 2005, 03:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

I have never had much of a problem with ticks, working on my own property because of a flock of guinea hens that think they are the tastiest.  But now I am working other land and have just been covered with the little buggers.  What do you all who log in the summer thinks works best for tick repellant.  In the past I have used Deep Woods Off and been happy with it.  But if there is something better, I want it.  I am currently finishing up a walnut job and then have 10 acres that are going to become a pond this fall the land owner wants anything worth selling taken off of first so I am going to out quite a bit this spring and summer.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

MemphisLogger

I use pennyroil and citronella  :)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Junior437t

I used to work for the local cable tv company and when we were working in a brushy right of way, we used Avon Skin So Soft. We would spray it on out pants cuff, our wrists and around our necks. It done a good job keeping us tick free.

duramax

A guy I used to work with would smear diesel fuel all over himself in the morning and he wouldn't get a single bite. I opted not to do this however, I figured a few bug bites was better than smelling fuel all day.  ???
1999 Timbco T455D , 1999 Timberjack 560 dual arch grapple, 1987 Timberjack 450 cable , 1998 Husky Brute XL235 loader w/slasher

HORSELOGGER

Could ya train a couple a guineas to be loggin mascots and take em with ya :)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

asy

Quote from: duramax on April 21, 2005, 07:56:50 PM
A guy I used to work with would smear diesel fuel all over himself in the morning and he wouldn't get a single bite. I opted not to do this however, I figured a few bug bites was better than smelling fuel all day.  ???

sure hope he didn't smoke...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

David_c

best thing I have found for any biting insects is deep woods off. I have tried the 100% deet and for some reason it doesn't work. go figuire  ::)

ellmoe

In the past, I quail hunted in an area that was loaded with ticks and chiggers. There is only one thing I fear in the woods and that's chiggers! I must be allergic to them, wherever they bite I have a festering sore for months, the same with ticks. Because of this fear, I'd go all the way with my personal defense. Before every hunt, I'd spray my pants legs down with "Raid" or "Black Flaq". Why use a fly-swatter when you have a grenade! :)  No ticks, no chiggers,   still here! ;D

Mark

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

asy

tnlogger

asy we might wait till you come north and have to show ya  :D just make sure you bring long leg trousers.
;D
gene

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rockn H

We call'em Red Bugs.  I wish they would eat weeds their whole life and leave me alone. ;D
http://www.pestproducts.com/pests/redbugs.htm#myths

asy

Quote from: tnlogger on April 21, 2005, 09:31:47 PM
asy we might wait till you come north and have to show ya :D just make sure you bring long leg trousers.
;D

Gee TN..  I thought ya were my friend  :'( :-\ :'(

I'll let ya keep the chiggers.

Thanks, anyway...

Also, I'm not sure I own any long leg trousers...  Other than work slacks...  Doesn't really get cold enough here... :D

Thanks everyone! The aussie-education is gettin' there...

babylogger

my brother thought he was being funny...i did the fuel oil too... i thought i was gonna roast myself. it always worked for my ex and hed get a great tan lol me forget it i sweated and holy s@@@ did it burn! and i still ended up with a tick in my belly button yep that was fun getting out! and 2 more ahhh in my chest (no explaining needed) my mom had to get them out. havent been tick infested ever again! but it was embarrassing as he@@! and im still looking for revenge for my dear kind hearted brother!!!!!!!!
love logger

tnlogger

why asy i am yer friend  ;D just trying to teach ya the way i was taught . :D :D :D :D :D
gene

Wudman

Permanone........hands down the best tick repellant on the market.  Prior to permanone some days I'd come home and have literally hundreds of the little blood suckers to contend with. 

Now, a little shot of permanone on the pants legs and you can watch him die before he gets to the beltline.  The active ingredient is permethrin which is the same as in Advantage and Frontline that you use on your pets......and it works for chiggers as well.

You only apply the product to your clothing, not your skin.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Saw Dog

I second that, permethrin is great.  I had a real problem with ticks until I dicovered this stuff.  Now when they get on me the little buggers get killed deader then he@@.  Only applying to your clothes is not a suggestion, it can cause some pretty nasty blisters.

Kevin

Rockn H

I agree, Permanone is great.  We use it for mosquitos too.  I know I'm going to get grief for saying this.  On my own lumber that I air dry.  I spray diluted permethrin to kill all insects, works pretty good.

Teri

I hate chiggers! >:(  But the things that really bugs me is them dang seed ticks! Gazillions of 'em marchin up your legs. Just thinkin about it is making me itch.

asy

Got bitten by 3 green ants tonight...

Boy did my foot feel on fire...

you guys can keep your chiggers and etc...

We do have ticks here, though..  :(

DanG things keep gettin the dog, and we have those paralysis ticks, they aren't good.

Cedarman

Asy, from the look of some of my employees, we have some of those paralysis ticks in our area.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

asy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gotta admit, ya got a belly laugh outta me for that one...

Paschale

So when you do get the DanG ticks on you, what's your perferred method of removing the DanG things?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

asy

I've never had one on me, thank goodness.

When the dog got one,  he was taken down to the vets to have it rmoved, cos with paralysis ticks you need antivenom.

Unfortunately, the dog's now had two lots of antivenom, so he doesn't want to get bitten again, or bad things will happen :(

David_c

I just pull them out being  careful not to leave head in. then I put them in a cup of rubbing alchohol. I have had so many on me that now I can feel if I have them on me. need a cringe smily.

Paschale

I've never gotten any ticks in lower Michigan, ever, and that's with a lot of hiking and camping, and tromping through the woods, especially when I was a kid.  My dad always told me that the reason we didn't get ticks down state here is that lower Michigan is a Peninsula, and sort of isolated.  Then just this past year, someone told me they got a tick on them near Kalamazoo, in southern Michigan, and it made me rethink my assumption that we didn't have many ticks down here.  In the U.P., it's another matter altogether.  If I visit our land, I'm definitely going to be hunting for ticks! 

Any down staters run into ticks at all?

Cedarman

Ticks are a bad problem in So In.  They carry Lyme disease, Ehrlichiosis (sp) and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever among others.  They need to be attached a day or two for best chance of catching something so a check each evening is mandatory.
When I get a tick attached I kind of pull or scrape it off being very careful not to pull the head off. Then I run alcohol on the spot and watch it to see if I get the bull's eye or not (symptom of Lyme )
Wearing chaps and getting covered in bar oil, cedar dust keeps them to a minimum.  It is when I'm cruising trees and have to walk through grassy areas that I get the most.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Faron

Southern Indiana seems to be the world population center for ticks.  Deep Woods Off seems to work best for me, also.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Fla._Deadheader

I'm hoping there are no ticks in CR. Had Tick Fever twice. Nearly died. Much rather play with Gators, Moccasins, than Ticks. 

All ya gotta do is smash a tick between yer thumb nails, and an hour or so later, wipe yer eyes from sweat. From then on, yer misery begins.

Asy, no Teatree Oil ???  Great for ant and chigger bites. We use it for fire ant stings and jelly fish- Man-o-War stings. Pain is gone before ya recap the bottle.  ;) ;) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

asy

Hiya Deddy!!

Yeah, we have tea tree oil based stuff here too..

Your Moccassins give ya trouble too, do they? We call them Ugg Boots here...  :D

Or were you talking the somewhat slipperrier variety?

We don't have those here :)

We have the likes of the Taipan, Death Adder, and King Browns.. 

Of course, we don't have Gators, but we do have Salt Water Crocs, although we are OK, coz they only eat tourists :D

OneWithWood

The best defence I've found for ticks, skeeters, and other nasty no seeums, is long pants and long sleeve shirts sprayed with Deep Woods Off.  In the heat of the summer it gets to be a struggle to find a light enough shirt to keep from sweating to death but it does help with the weight loss thing  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

estiers

I'm a downstater and I have run into many a tick.... Paschale, I think you need to rethink your hypothesis :P

Erin
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Paschale

I guess I've just lucked out, estiers.  It's amazing to think how much time I spent growing up in the woods when I was a kid, tromping through the brush, playing capture the flag, or whatever, and never once getting a tick.  I've never had a tick here in lower Michigan, even though I enjoy being out in the woods.  But in the U.P., I get them as if I'm the last mammal on the planet, nearly every time I go to the U.P.  I don't get it... ::)

beenthere

Those Michigan 'downstate' ticks are a lot fussier with who and what they hang around with, and bite into, than the Michigan UP ticks.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paschale

They're kinda snooty downstate, I guess.   :D  I must not be fine dinin', and I'm fine with that.   :D

Thank You Sponsors!