iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Muffler Mods to Stihl 036 Pro

Started by David Noll, December 16, 2010, 09:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Noll

If anybody has any information about doing muffler mods to the Stihl 036 Pro, where I could buy or is this a do it yourselfer type mod.  Just dropped the bar size down to a 16" .325,  from a 20",  I like it much better.
Timberking 1220
Stihl 036 Pro
Stihl 440 Mag

Al_Smith

Nothing to it really .My way is to completely gut the muffler ,no baffles ,no screen ,no diverter .Just an empty can . Cut the outlet to 75 -80 percent area of the exhaust port. Retune the carb,obviously .  Some feel a little squeemish  about that method though . ;D

Why not just pull the screen and see how you like that first . ;)

g_man

I just did a muffler mod on my Husqvarna 359 last wendsday. I bought the muffler from Baileys. They have lots of them. Anyone with average mechanical ability could have done mine, and probably most any saw. It would have been easier if I had a long 5 mm allen wrench. My short one just barely reached down into the bottom of that mounting hole - had to use pliers to hold it.
Had to curse a little putting it back to gether with my fat fingers in a small space but thats normal.
Retuning was about 1-1/4 turn richer on the high jet. Every think else the same.

Al_Smith

There's a couple things you about ought to have if you're going to wrench on modern saws .Namely a set of T handled long reach metric allen wrenchs and a T-27 long reach for Stihls .

Thank You Sponsors!