iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

L10 cummins

Started by coxy, June 02, 2015, 10:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

does the L10 have  1,2 or 3 heads  there is no tag just says 404 on the head the guy says its an L10  but he also said the truck was a IH but has freightliner all over it  ;D it looks to be older not any electric things hanging all over it  he also says it smokes really bad but it don't seem to use oil as bad as it smokes his words  any ideas what the smoke maybe  from    thanks

LeeB

White smoke? blue smoke? black smoke?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

4x4American

are you talking about valve covers?
Boy, back in my day..

treeslayer2003

an L 10 cummins will have one head as opposed to three like an N 14 or 855. L10 is a pretty good little engine.

perhaps a bad turbo......hard to say.

coxy

Quote from: LeeB on June 02, 2015, 10:15:10 PM
White smoke? blue smoke? black smoke?
not shur I haven't heard it run just going by what he said and yes there could be a few thoughts on the smoke not knowing the color
Quote from: 4x4American on June 02, 2015, 10:19:49 PM
are you talking about valve covers?
no heads all the cummins the bigger ones that I have seen has a head for every 2 pistons  this one has one long head for all 6

UN Hooker

L-10 has one long heavy head. A couple weeks ago, I repaired a broken cross arm guide pin and did a valve job on one.
         UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

snowstorm

i have had one for 10 yrs. in a ih plow truck. single head pt pump starts real well in the cold. never holds a lot of oil pressure enought but nothing extra. the only thing i have done to mine is replace the water pump and oil pan....it rusted

4x4American

10-4.  Yea the Cummins L-10 I think has the infamous P-T fuel system on it..might be another way to help identify it.
Boy, back in my day..

snowstorm

if you a looking at an l10 to run a loader you will need a variable speed governor on it 

coxy

thanks for all the info the truck has a loader on it  never new anything about the governor thing thanks snowstorm

BW_Williams

DonT know anything about them newer Cummins, but my 69 really smokes!  On the airport job it was always the first rig running.  Mine uses air foot throttle to both sides and i really like them.  Now if i could get the 8 track working.........
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

coxy

Quote from: BW_Williams on June 04, 2015, 10:01:39 AM
  Now if i could get the 8 track working.........
I have one that works you want it  lots of tapes to  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!