iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cable

Started by coxy, December 16, 2016, 05:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

has any one ever tried to weld cable together  i have 2 40 ft pieces and thought about trying to weld them together  what are your thoughts  :)

bill m

Welding them together? No. You could do a long splice. Not hard to do but hard to describe here. There are a lot of videos on YouTube.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

petefrom bearswamp

Long splice is the way to go.
the Navy did this for centuries with rope and the line (navy talk for rope) would feed thru the shackles (navy talk for pulleys) feeded just fine.
Now i realize that hitches weigh a lot but not as much as ships and suspended cargo
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ed_K

I have a splicing pdf, but it's 111 pages long and I can't figure out how to put it in my gallery to put into a post. I got it off the internet from the worksafe British Columbia web site. But it's discontinued on the internet. It was called Logging on.
There's a site called "long splice instructions - Sampson rope". It's shows how to do a 3 wire splice real good, but in wire rope it's 6 or 7 wire but following the sampson lead and add the extra wires it's easy to get a good splice.
Ed K

Ford_man

I Brazed a 5/16 cable, I unraveled the end of each cable and jammed it together and brazed it. It done what I needed it to do, that was to pull the new cable up through then pulleys in the top of my silo.

OntarioAl

Long splice is the way to go.
Its the way the cables for Ski Hill chair lifts are installed to form a continuous loop
Al
Al Raman

loggah

I would say no for a skidder winch cable, wrapping around a winch drum is to tight a bend for any welded cable to work. also the danger of the cable snapping quickly. I worked for years at ski areas and the rule of thumb for the cable splices were the length of the splice was 180 times the diameter of the cable. Lots of very cold fingers and marlinspikes. :)
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

47sawdust

loggah,
Haven't seen a post by you in a while.It's always good to hear your feed back.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!