iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Automated Twin blade sawmill build.

Started by CaseyK, September 24, 2014, 10:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrydown60

Man you must be able build rockets, looks great but way beyond my abilities and brian.  Can't wait to see it cut later. Great Job 

tnaz

Quote from: larrydown60 on November 21, 2016, 12:04:14 PM
Man you must be able build rockets, looks great but way beyond my abilities and brian.  Can't wait to see it cut later. Great Job

X2, Great job.  Waiting for round two. 8) 8)

CaseyK

Had to tighten the belts to the horizontal blade gearbox for the first time since adding the radiator dust chute & it the dust chute didnt survive the ordeal. But my first customer came bye today and said he will be dropping some logs off in the next day or so. So tomorrow i need to get 2 big pines cut up and off the decks.
Home built automated twin blade

pineywoods

HEY, I see sawdust. That has to mean you have already been making lumber...Waiting for the live video, but I still wanna see a real live demo..Right now, I'm snowed under, but sooner or later I'm coming by...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishfighter

Quote from: pineywoods on November 21, 2016, 08:42:29 PM
HEY, I see sawdust. That has to mean you have already been making lumber...Waiting for the live video, but I still wanna see a real live demo..Right now, I'm snowed under, but sooner or later I'm coming by...

This. I got to see this sucker.

thecfarm

This is quite the thread and quite the build. I only had time to go back a few pages and took some more time to start at number one and got to page 3.
I'll be bacc.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

boardmaker

Great job Casey!
Looking forward to the cutting video. 
I'd love to come down and see it sometime.

CaseyK

I knew i would jink myself by saying i would post a cutting video, lost the up down encoder and the 24v alternator. Got the encoder ordered and will take the alternator to the shop in the morning.  I did find a kubota 2203 reefer motor for cheap that im thinking of picking up and adding a k03 1.7 L vw turbo to eleminate power problems and allow for a bigger cut but it will call for a big rework.

CaseyK

Im offshore 1/2 way thru my hitch but wanted to give an update. I got the alternator fixed and a new encoder. Pulled the kubota v2203 out of a reefer unit myself but it took 5 days to get the flywheel adapter plate just to figure out i would need to have one machined. Just before leaving for work i got the adapter plate made and the original motor pulled. Since i had to pull the radiator i decided to rework everything to maximize my vertical cut and allow for a bigger vertical blade later. I ran out of time but hope to get her put back together next hitch then decide on whether or not to add the turbo. Merry Christmas

Ox

Thanks for the updates, there's more than a few of us following you.  You have a Merry Christmas as well!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

CaseyK

Just 5 more days and i will be back home to mount the new motor and put everything back together.

By lowering the vertical blade shaft lower i should go from max depth cut of 8" up to 11-1/4" and with the bigger motor im hoping to be able to cut a max beam size of around 8x8 at slow speed but if not  im going to order the turbo and make the modifications to make it work. 

On the old motor i used a over center break over to position a idle wheel to tension the belts to act as a clutch but have decided to remove it and just leave the motor shaft connected to the drive shafts all the time via the belts since the saw blades add very little load for the motor to spin and start and i will have local and wireless controls to control the throttle and motor off controls.

Another thing i am looking forward to is testing out my new positioning logic for doing quarter sawing. Before i could only manually move the saw cut axis to a position then automatically command it to move down or to the right either the thickness or width of either a primary or secondary sized board. Example primary set for 2x6 and secondary set for 1x6. The problem that i came across was that when trying to quarter saw a log up i was getting into situations where i needed to remember a X,Y position (what i call a cut axis position) and then after cutting a few boards be able to go back to that position as a reference point before moving to the new cut position.
So i added another selector switch to the panel and interfaced it with the wireless remote so that up to 10 positions could be saved and then be recalled and the saw head commanded to go to the stored position.

Its cold in north Louisiana now but by the time i get back it should be back in the 70's. There is nothing like Louisiana weather.

fishfighter

You are right about the weather here. Give it a week and one will see all 4 seasons. ;D It's 22F here and I'm about 35 miles north of Baton Rouge. :o By mid week, we going to hit the lower 70's. 8)

CaseyK

April update:
Reefer motor V2203 installed and it cranks instantly. Had to have pto shaft adapter machined but for less than 500 dollars i went from a 30hp to a 50hp diesel.
Lowered the main drive shaft so that i could later upgrade to a 30" main vertical blade allowing for 12" cuts.
Found V belt calculator for HP vs pully diameter and concluded that the existing 2 groove pully set up couldnt transfer over 20hp so i replaced it with 4 groove pulleys with a lot larger diameters. Now it should be able to transfer 4x15=60hp.
4 B78 belts delivered off ebay was around 60 bucks.
Never was happy with the speed and power of the miniark dc drives controlling the 24vdc motors so i purchased a 5hp single phase vfd off ebay for 115 bucks and 2 new 3hp 1750rpm reliance 3ph motors off ebay for 200 each delivered.
Since i will never move in more than one direction at a time i added relays on the output of the vfd to swap between the travel motor and the up down axis. 
Adjustable motor mount bases were cheap at less than 30 each from an online surplus center.
New sprockets to interface the 1-1/8" motor shafts were less than 30.
Had to rework the plc program to swap from the seperate miniark drive control relays to a single vfd controlling both the feedworks and the up down motor.
The motors are mounted and wired to vfd output relays, vfd is mounted, drive interface relays are mounted but not wired yet.
ive got 3 more days to play with it before i have to ship out so hopefully i will get it operational before i leave.

Ox

Good to see you back up and sharing again!  Nice pics.  Do you know a member here named Kbeitz?  Cousins?  Brothers perhaps?  ;) :D
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

CaseyK

Reworked the controls to drive interfaces for the up/dn and the feedworks and they worked perfectly before i left for work.

I leave the rig tomorrow and will only get 10 days home this hitch but i hope to get my turbo project installed this hitch. I looked up everything i could find for adding a turbo to a V2203-DI Kubota reefer engine and hopefully i will more than double my HP by turning up the fuel, the rev limiter from 1800 to 2500 and adding a small turbo. The base engine is rated for 51HP but when they install them in a reefer they turn down the fuel and decrease the rpm limiter to match the hp spec for the compressor its connected to.  So with a base line hp of 50 by adding the turbo with 16psi boost at 2500 im hoping to get my hp up to 65 or so. There are a lot of great articles written on the diesel truck sites where they modified the same engine and installed it in ford rangers and Jeeps and had them dyno tested for 98HP so i got most of my turbo selection data from their articles.

If i did my homework right then there should be 21 packages at the house waiting for me when i get home for my turbo install including all the manual guages and PLC temp and pressure monitoring stuff. I will have to do some welding for the exhaust intake and output of the turbo and fit and form all the air intake tubes but hopefully all the stepping stones will fall in place.

Ill post a ton of pics in case anybody wants to utilize a reefer mtr on a 4 post design mill.

CaseyK

Day one of the turbo build started at 6:30AM  and ended at 6PM, but at the end of the day:
1. the exhaust manifold to turbo fabricated and installed.
2. Turbo cartridge clocked (aligning the oil inlet and oil return to the 12 and 6 oclock positions).
3. Turbo exhaust flange fabricated and installed with new muffler and flipper lid on top.
4. Oil return line connection to turbo connected which required reclocking the turbo several times to get it right.
5. Tubing from turbo to the air infeed manifold about 1/2 way done, just waiting on silicone connectors which should be in monday.

Monday punch list is to:
1. Confirm the oil feed port i am going to connect into and install the manual and plc input sensors for oil pressure before and after the 1mm oil flow re-stricter.
2. Tap the air infeed manifold for the manual and plc sensor for the boost temp and pressure.
3. Connect the EGT sensors for the plc and manual sensors.
4. Add the RPM manual gauge sensor.
5. Drop the oil pan, clean the filter and tap the oil pan for the 10AN oil return line fitting.
6. Pull the oil filter and try to get a number off of it and see if the auto store has a cross reference.
7. Re install the oil pan and fill up with oil.
8. Wire in the electric idle / full speed solenoid controlled by the plc.
9. Add the alarm buzzer relay and buzzer.
10, Add 10 small relays to free up some cabinet room.
11. Pull the 3 ph motor for the x axis and figure out what it would take to replace the dc drive and motor for the left and right positioning.
12. Add the wiring in the cable tray to connect the new sensors into the PLC and add a local junction boxes for the transmitters.
13. See what it would take to add an external waste gate to the turbo outlet piping to the air infeed manifold. (the internal one had to be removed due to the clocking of the turbo.

Phone was dead but i will get some pics on monday night update.   

fishfighter

Now that is one heck of a list. ;D Better watch your wife don't burn down "the other woman". Bet that is what she is calling your mill. :D

CaseyK

How did you know thats what she called my sawmill? Well only got a few hrs in on the mill today. To tap the oil pan for the oil return i had to unbolt the motor and raise it 4 inches to get clearance to remove the oil pan the drill and tap went well. The oil supply line i ordered is 6 days late so i bought another one at napa today so the oil supply and return to the turbo are almost complete. I finished the turbo to air intake piping. Tomorrow i hope to bolt the engine back down & fill her back up with oil and verify the oil flow and connect the sensors and gauges.

CaseyK

CaseyK

CaseyK

fishfighter

How I know? When I used to offshore fish all the time, I was spending more time with my two offshore boats. That was what my wife always called those boats,( the other women). :D

CaseyK

The time flew by this hitch.I got it all mounted and ran it 5-10 min but started getting oil blow by from the turbo into the exhaust so i shut her down. It could be a bunch of different things but most common are that my restrictor orifice in the oil feed line isn't small enough and im going to change the oil return line to a larger size and also vent the oil pan and crank case. If this doesn't work then ill buy another turbo and try again. But for now ive got another 28 days at work to get thru but next hitch home should be a full hitch home so im sure i will get her up and running.

fishfighter

Thanks for the updates. Just maybe I will take a ride up to your place to check your mill next time you are back home.

Ox

Cool - I hope this hitch at work flies by for you and all is well.  Also hoping you get your mill up and running this next round.

Thank You Sponsors!