iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee??

Started by Magicman, December 08, 2015, 08:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

My morning coffee should be ready. ;D I have a drip maker which is good but I much prefer Lynn's method, gotta get another percolator. My last one went out in a move, Karen wouldn't let me use it. :-\
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Perc'd coffee is the best!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DelawhereJoe

Right now I'm starting to drink the Starbucks sweetened cold brew, I first picked it up for backpacking, it comes in a little pack with sugar mixed with freeze dried and micro ground coffee. Just add 16oz of water, cold, warm or hot and start drinking. Take it with you anywhere and enjoy.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

No_Dude

I'll drink it black, but I prefer 3-4 sugar packs and 1-2 creamer cups depending on the size of my mug, or atleast with the cruddy coffee they have in the Caf here on campus. If I'm making it, I use Black Rifle grounds, and do a splash of real cream and 2 teaspoons of sugar, all into my Star Wars mug.

samandothers

I have had mornings where I have made the coffee while still too asleep!  I would forget to put the carafe under the basket.   :o
Man, that would wake you up quick with adrenaline and anger as you see the mess!  Then the clean up of the coffee that overflowed the drip basket, wet grounds also and a need to clean the coffee maker where said grounds spilled over into the water tank!   >:(    All this while not even having the first cup!!

sawguy21

I feel better now that I'm not the only one that has done that. :D

Dave Shepard

I love coffee, but I've never understood the "waking you up" bit. I could drink a quart of coffee and go straight to sleep. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lxskllr

Yup. I regularly go to bed with a cup of coffee; usually my second or third out of the pot, and I finish it when I wake up in the morning  :^D

sawguy21

Do you reheat it? I don't like cold coffee.

lxskllr

Nah, I drink it cold. Reheating ruins the taste, and I enjoy it cold. During the great recession, money was a real problem for me, so I experimented with various cheap coffees trying to find something decent to save a few bucks. One of the ones I tried was walmart dark roast. That was a dud hot, but it really woke up when it got cold. I have no explanation for what was going on. I didn't like it much at all when fresh, but if I let it sit in the pot til it was cold, I actually enjoyed it. I've thought about revisiting that to see if my opinion's the same. I'd buy it again just to drink cold.

Btw, I settled on aldi coffee as my daily brew. It wasn't great; probably mediocre diner quality, but it was the best cheap stuff I found, and tolerable. Glad I don't have to drink it anymore though  :^D

Magicman

It's hard to believe that it has been over a year since we talked about Coffee.  Well my coffee maker that I showed in Reply #132 died.  Since I insist on using a maker that uses loose coffee my search for a new coffee maker led me to this one from Hamilton Beach called the Scoop

I have been using this one for over a month and so far...so good.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Glad to hear you found a coffee pot that you like.  8) Having a coffee pot (and coffee) that fits one's groove is essential to life.   
HM126

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: 4x4American on January 04, 2018, 06:03:11 AM
To Al_Smith the frozen logger its called:

https://youtu.be/JBLHeAvZyh8

MM little embarassed to have a yeti there lol lol hey if its good and it works who gives a turkey..snap-on sells tools for crazy money but they work well, so many people buy em, same with wm.  Point is you pay for quality and I ain't gonna judge a man on a coffee mug come to think of it I'd have never known it was soo expensive unless it was brought to me attention.

I'm trying the salt in the grounds this morning.  Hoping that'll do it.
A recent post by MM brought me to this thread which I had not seen before. Going through the thread brought me to the above post, that post led me to the youtube video, which led me to THIS video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6OeFBmfsEw This one is with Pete Seeger and Fred Hellerman. Pete lived across the river from here and I saw him often. The last time I saw him, just a few months before he passed he was wearing that same shirt and it was a magical day and performance. I never knew the Weaver's did this song. ANyway, I took a pretty convoluted route to get there, but this brought a little tear to my eye.
OH, and to keep on topic. I love my coffee, 'no coffee, no workie' I always say. I take mine black, there is no need to stir it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

I still rely on my old stainless. I did try a large Dr. Who mug I got for Christmas. It doesn't do the trick,  gets cold and doesn't taste as good as the China I have used for years. You might think of me as a mug snob, but not really. It just hasn't the flavor. The Dr. Who mug got placed quietly into the back of the cupboards. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Andries

For some reason, my coffee has started to taste really FLAT.
Can't figure what the heck made for that change . . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

I would say that it was just "tired". 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

I put fancy coffee in the same class as so called "craft" beer .You either like coffee or you don't .same with beer .Does coffee taste better with cute little animals drawn on the surface with heavy cream ? Is the beer so bad you have to drop a wedge of lemon or lime in it to kill the taste ? Good grief ---mumble grumble .
I got used to navy "mid watch" coffee you could float a nail in . ;D

Old Greenhorn

i'm with you Al, pretty much. At least on the coffee. I grew up in a house where my Dad said 'people who drink instant coffee would....' Well never mind, this is a family group, I nearly forgot. ;D My Dad was WW II Coast Guard serving in the Philippines. He enevr put anything in his coffee picked up his habits when I was a kid and never added anything and I dislike any flavored coffees, instant, and decaf to an extreme degree. :D That's just what works for me. As for cups, I lucked into a half case of heavy china coffee mugs at some sort of yard sale. They were just like the mugs the navy used I think.Oh BOY, I loved those cups, held the heat, nice and heavy, didn't spill. Over a period of 45 years they all bit the dust, one at a time. I miss them still. >:(
 Now as for beer, we could talk about that a little bit. I like a very well brewed craft beer and we can discuss what is good and what isn't on that score. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Texas Ranger

most anything virgin dark roast.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Al_Smith

Well on beer I've drank it all over the world even out of good old Detroit river water .We called it Stroh's .It was a tad bitter but we got used to it .Coffee it really doesn't make that much difference to me .I've got the fancy stuff in both ground and beans for guests .Even have the Star Bucks stuff .Green Mountain .Even good old old A and P  8 o'clock in beans .  

Magicman

Nothing fancy here but since I am the only coffee drinker and that is only 1-2 cups per day I buy the 11.5 oz can which stays fresher.

I prefer Maxwell House original medium roast.  I heap the measure a bit and use the coffee maker's stronger setting.

doc henderson

well I like a dark roast so it is a little bitter.  I never added anything until in Albany, NY.  Kind of like Sweet tea in the south, people just started adding cream if you wanted it "regular"  I like 1/2 & 1/2 in it but can drink without it.  My grandpa would get a cup of brewed coffee in the "percolator" then add a heaping teaspoon of Folgers crystals.  My dad added two heaping teaspoons of sugar.  they were both truck drivers for quite a while.  I have acquired a taste for double IPA beer so quite bitter.  We brew Pliny the Elder beer.  While at Philmont, we drank the instant little Starbucks packs of dark roast.  drip made does not have the flavor.  we tried a percolator for a while.  we finally gave in and got a Keurig so we could all have what we wanted!  My mom would put a little coffee along with mapleen in the frosting of cinnamon rolls.  it gave a little flavor, helped to melt butter and powdered sugar.  you would get a coffee ground in the frosting now and then.  all good memories.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

I had a percolator for years .It brewed good coffee .Then I had this brain storm .Wired an old clock radio to set it off 15 minutes before it was time to wake up .Oh boy oh boy what a spark of genius that was  until I found out somebody had already figured that out already.Day late ,dollar short . Such is life  :D

Magicman

I drink mine black i/e no sugar nor cream/milk.  A pinch of salt will cut the bitter, but I never think of adding it.

doc henderson

I tried mixing chickaree in with coffee in a drip maker and it was fine.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!