iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MTD log splitter problems

Started by dchiapin, March 08, 2019, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchiapin

I have an old MTD log splitter that I have had for many years with very few problems.
I finally had to change the engine, went from B&S to Honda, install was very easy.
It worked great until today and for no reason the splitter would not (shift gears) to split hard wood. When I say shift gears I am talking about it doesn't want to get down and split.
No leaks. Changed the hydraulic filter, topped off the fluid no difference.
Any idea about what is causing it to not have the power to split?
Thanks

gspren

Sounds like a two stage pump that when working properly pumps high volume low pressure until meeting resistance and then shifts to high pressure lower volume. It sounds like yours is stuck on low pressure.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Gary Davis

could be the gears between the motor and pump not engaged

sawguy21

It is probably a lovejoy coupling, if that fails nothing works.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

dchiapin

Thanks for the comments.
When I replaced the engine I also replaced the Lovejoy coupler, so that is not the problem.
I agree with gspren that the pump is not working properly.
Wonder if the pump is rebuildable or need to replace it with a new one?
New pump is expensive and hate to just replace parts till it is fixed.

Bricklayer51

I to have a old mtd 31 ton I think when the pump started going bad I had it rebuilt which means new seals it only lasted a short while each time so I bought a new one end of problem. that was 6 years ago also make sure none of the fittings are leaking that's another story.

dchiapin

Thanks Bricklayer51, that is what I was thinking that rebuild would probably be a short term fix.
Another clue to the problem might be when I put in a block of wood and hold the handle for a minute or so on split the pump does get very warm, almost hot. No other components get hot. Is it possible the fluid is just recycling through the pump? If so what could the problem be with? 

hedgerow

You may want to install a pressure gauge at the control valve on the line coming from the pump to see what the pressure is running to make sure the pump is your problem you could have had the seals on the piston of the cylinder go out and the oil is bypassing the piston making it seem like you have a problem with the pump. The piston seals can fail and have no leak to the outside. I like to have pressure gauges on splitters so if a problem arises you can trouble shoot it. If your pump is bad check out surplus center in Lincoln Ne they have a nice section of pumps and fitting and gauges. Not much fixing on those pumps it hard to find any of the hard parts for those pumps. You can get a new one for under $200 bucks. 

Bricklayer51

I did have a problem with things getting hot and leaking at hose connections it was the vent hole in the filler plug was plugged.

clww

I have a splitter that was fine, then not. If it was on a hillside, at an angle, the pump would not get enough fluid to build up pressure to cycle the cylinder. Level ground equals no problems. That's my input.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

dchiapin

Thank you hedgerow. I will install a pressure gauge and see what the pressure is. I have saved the web address for Surplus Center, wow they sure have a bunch of cool stuff (not an endorsement)
clww thank for your input, seems like if the reservoir is full the problem would not be leveling of the machine, but will experiment with the leveling.
Bricklayer 51, thanks I will check the vent, that sounds like you fixed your problem cheap.

r.man

If the coupling was compromised in some way the pump might turn over under low resistance but stop when the going gets tough. Can you see the pump shaft after the coupling and confirm that it is rotating when the cylinder stops?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

dchiapin

r.man, yes the shaft turns with and without a load.
I have ordered a new pump should be here in a couple of days.
Thanks, will let you all know if it is fixed.

hamish

I encountered the same problem when I changed the cylinder on my 1960's era Yardman splitter.  Turned out my spool/kick off valve was the problem.  The ram would come up to the log then just stall out the engine.  After lots of head scratching I went with the cheapest repair option and thankfully I guessed the right versus the pump.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

dchiapin

Hamish, mine does everything it is supposed to do until it needs the Ooomph of the ram to split. Then it just doesn't have the power to go through the bigger blocks. It does not bog down

hamish

My ram would get up against the log and just barely make a mark on it, split cedar and poplar easily but any hardwoods it would just come to a stop in the piece.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

dchiapin

thanks everybody, got the new pump in the mail today.
That did fix it, works better than ever.

clww

Fantastic news to read! Better get at that woodpile. Winter isn't finished yet.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bricklayer51

Good to hear that took care of the problem. A couple years ago the welded fitting on the cylinder cracked so I had it welded at a local shop and had the cylinder rebuilt it splits like a new one

thecfarm

I am glad you got it going again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dchiapin

clww, what is winter? Here in north Florida we only had two really light frosts this winter.
Not good especially for the blueberry farmers that need that cold period.
I think we only used about 1 cord of wood to heat with all winter.
I really feel for you guys up north, too much cold and snow, now flooding.
But do have the log splitter fixed now so I can get ready for next winter.

thecfarm

Cold is not a problem to us,nor is snow. I have never been snowed in and not able to get to the store. I have never had to stock up on food either. Only once have I been without power for more than a week,that was an ice storm. Yes the news will make it big. Maine is getting a foot of snow. ::)  Life goes on here,that's what's the snow plows are for. ;D I don't lose many trees due to the weather.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hedgerow

dchiapin
Glad to hear the pump got you running. Here in eastern Nebraska its been a long winter lots of snow and cold. We are lucky the flooding has been all around us mostly east of us. Our creeks were bank full a couple days ago but we got lucky and the rain stopped before the flooding started in my area. 

Al_Smith

Most likely the shift valve in the pump is defective .If I'm not mistaken it's a spring loaded poppet valve . Don't throw it away because  if it can't be fixed it will still work just won't shift to low volume .Use it on something else 

dchiapin

Al_Smith, yes you are right. Don't throw anything away that could be used for some other project. How many times have I thrown something away and a few days later needed just that part I just threw away.

Thank You Sponsors!