iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help identifying wood

Started by kaufman74, March 22, 2017, 08:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaufman74

Recently built myself a bandsaw mill thanks to the many posts and info on this forum and YouTube of course.  But I'm not very educated in wood identification.  I know a few but not many. Milled some today and coined a few pieces as well. Looking for some help on what it actually is. We have lots of trees down around the farm and that's why I decided to build a mill, so these were already down. Any info would be appreciated!

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF.

I'm not seeing your pictures? 
Of-course that doesn't mean i would know what they are  :D

best
D

kaufman74

Sorry took me a few minutes to figure out how to upload. Pictures are in my gallery.  First 3 pictures are the of the same tree. 4th pic is of one of the coins

tacks Y

Looks like maple and cotton wood? Where do you call home?

killamplanes

I agree soft maple the first picture of bark. And the cookie looks like cottonwood (popular) depending on your location...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

kaufman74

Thanks.  I was pretty certain that the one was maple but like I say more just guessing for me.  I'm south western ontario. The cookie I didn't have much of an idea really.  We have quite a few of those trees. Quite tall, probably 125' or bigger and 30"+ diameter.  They grow quite straight with no lower branches and very thick bark.

killamplanes

That would probly be cottonwood. Here it has real deep bark. When you saw it, it's very soft. And very full of moisture, might even have water running out. Unfortunately not a highly priced tree. Good luck...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Brad_bb

You need to post the pics in this post.  You do that by first starting the post or reply.  Then go to your gallery (in a separate tab) and click on the picture.  Then go down to the bottom where it says "Insert picture in post".  Click that and the code for the pic will appear in the post you are writing.   Make sure your cursor is in the post where you want the picture inserted.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!