iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern White Pine

Started by orion388, January 23, 2013, 02:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orion388

Good day gents ..

Glad to be here. wealth of knowledge here.. I live in western part of Va on 150 acres of old family land. My great grand fathers steam powered mill remenants are still in the woods. I managed to salvage the Governor and blade off of it. :)
I say that to say this, my place is full of mature Eastern White Pines, by mature I mean 24 to 32"  butts and STRAIGHT as an arrow.

Suggestions please???

John
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

Jeff

Well, I would say unless you have some sort of financial or material needs, let them stand tall!  A white pine has a life span up to a couple hundred years. If you don't have some dire need, perhaps one day your grandson can stand and look at those same trees.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

And find the rest of the old mill and get it ready to do some serious white pine sawing.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bogue Chitto

This used to be a 200 acre field where we had a dairy farm.  Planted when I was about 19 years ago. First thinning taking place now.  When I thin them for the last time I will leave the remaining trees until I absolutely need the money. 

Woodhauler

I worked in west virgina in 1998 and sent white pine back to searsmont maine!!!!!!!!!!!  Still have the record for the farthest away that they bought white pine from!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Black_Bear

Quote from: orion388 on January 23, 2013, 02:31:23 PM
Suggestions please???

Here's a good place to start. A lot of good information in the silvics manual:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_1/pinus/strobus.htm

Google white pine silviculture, there are dozens of research papers that may allow you to better understand the establishment and growth characteristics of the species. A local forester may be able to give you some suggestions that may be specific to your region.

Thank You Sponsors!