iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaf Colors

Started by Magicman, October 02, 2016, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, the leaves will soon be turning and the Smokies will soon be calling.   move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Carson-saws

Magicman....Road trip huh?....Well iffin ya ever get the hankering for another trip up north here this time of year...maybe Jeff can point you over to the "tunnel of tree" the lake shore and the view on that drive is amazing.   There is a place in route called "LEGGS INN" that enhances the drive even more.  If once you get passed that, further north just a tad bit more is a place called "TUCKERS"   best dern steak I have ever had and again...the view and natural beauty is fantastic.  Now I don't know how that compares to the Smokies but I wasn't sure you ment  the "colors from the "Smokies" patrol car or the leafs, so I thought I'd give ya an option.  :)
Either way...have a safe and great trip.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Magicman

We stopped for the night in Gadsden AL and will be in Pigeon Forge tomorrow.
We are looking forward to some R&R.  ?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

We are enjoying the Smokies and the weather is super nice.  40's & 50's at night and 70's daytime.  We are probably a week ahead of seeing the more brilliant reds, but for now the leaves are mostly yellow.

We saw this young bull Elk chewing his cud in the shade.

Magicman

Yesterday we drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway and to Balsam Mountain Campground which was the very first campground in the Smoky Mountains that we stayed in back in 1966.  50 years ago!!!   :o

From there we drove to the West end and drove Hwy 129 which is called the Tail of the Dragon.  Here is a short video clip.  (Go to full screen):
https://youtu.be/XjiXCadEtlU

WDH

Headed downhill to Georgia  ;D.

Some of those bikers like to ride the yellow line.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Czech_Made

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Two years ago almost to the day I rode the Tail on my 1970 Honda - travelling to Barber Vintage motorcycle festival in Birmingham.

Quote from: Magicman on October 12, 2016, 09:31:18 AM
Yesterday we drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway and to Balsam Mountain Campground which was the very first campground in the Smoky Mountains that we stayed in back in 1966.  50 years ago!!!   :o

From there we drove to the West end and drove Hwy 129 which is called the Tail of the Dragon.  Here is a short video clip.  (Go to full screen):

sandhills

Wow!  I think you folks were just a couple loopdy dee loops short of a roller coaster ride!  Glad you're having a great trip and thanks for the ride, safe travels!

Magicman

Yesterday we decided to have lunch with our friend.

He surely knows how to graze.

The colors were much more brilliant today.  The yellows and reds are really showing out now.

Just a pretty overlook.

A quiet stream.

I believe that this is Mountain Ash.

I ordered a Po-boy, so there is a bun under there somewhere??   :o   

Ox

Nice pics, MM, thanks for sharing.

Has anybody ever noticed the differences in leaf colors, time of change, how quick, etc. compared to how long or hard a winter it's going to be?

We have lots of bright, perfect colors right now, mixed half and half with trees that are still all green with no change.  If I remember right, last year the same thing happened and we had the easiest winter on record here.  I didn't have to plow snow once!  It was great.  I'm hoping for the same thing this year.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

We have been here 4 days and it is amazing how much the leaves have changed.

We enjoyed a "spread" for lunch today at Paula Deens.  Corn, squash, tossed salad, mac & cheese, pot roast & rice, spare ribs, breads, and topped off with peach cobbler.

OK, not the same as the FF Apple Pie.

And if you reach the end of your rope, this guy on a Harley will drop by and pick you up.   :o

Carson-saws

MM...WOW...that is quite the spread Sir....I'd need a serious nap after enjoying that.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on October 12, 2016, 09:31:18 AM

The Dragon/Deals Gap, 318 curves in 11 miles.  Pretty much everyone that comes up to the Billarosa on a bike wants to ride it for bragging rights.
Not much for scenery as you are too busy keeping the bike on pavement.
We have a loop we take from the house, over the Cherohola Sky-way, past Fontana Dam, through Deals Gap [Dragon] over the Tellico river then SR360 back to Tellico Plains. 137 miles, Leave mid morning and back for lunch.
1 tank trip unless I'm riding the Shovelhead then it's a 2 tank trip. 1 stop light and 2 stop signs.
There are photographers on the side of the road in key spots taking pix which can be purchased.
This was taken last July. My backpack was Sue Anns Daughter who had never been on a bike before. We gave her a world class ride through the mountains.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

We sorta made that loop in a fashion and passed through your Tellico Plains on the way home Bill, but you weren't there.   :-\  Only thing we were in an F250, but I did always pull over and let the bikers pass.   ;D

Raider Bill

Did you stop in the museum in Tellico?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

No but we will be back when we are messing around and not traveling through.   ;)

goose63

That road reminds me of a lot of roads in Western Montana and and Northern Idaho. High way 12 from Lolo pass west there is a signe that says curve next 77 miles
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

I finally found the pictures that "Xtreme Sports Photography" took of us on "The Tail".  They were pictures #2548 and #2549 that they took that day. 

Coffee_Creek

You could have brought your mill and sawed some logs for me, I've been working up a pile and need a food sawyer. I'm just off of I-59 in Gadsden.
Or, just give a holler and I'll buy you a cup of coffee and slice of apple pie.

Magicman

We spent the first night in Noccalula Falls Park.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!