iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hercules winch brake cylinder leaking out of the breather

Started by Atlantic Trader, March 24, 2013, 08:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Trader

The mainline was hard to pull out on the winch, so I loosened the nut on the shaft, that worked really well. When I pulled the winch control lever back the line free spooled really easy. I noticed that oil was coming out of the breather hole quite a bit, when I put the lever in "neutral" no oil, and when winching in no oil leaked out of the breather.

I only loosened the nut a turn or so, itbwas pretty tight to move.
Iam not sure what is going I recently changed the hydraulic oil, I thinking i may have overfilled it?

Or the piston is gone in the brake cylinder?  But it was fine until today, but I havenet used the winch since the oill change.

Any ideas, thanks

David-L

Oil coming out of breather sounds like a seal kit is at hand. Not hard to do. That breather lets air out when piston travels up. I put a 1/4 pipe thread 90 on my brake cylinder breather so it dosen't let water in and rust if the machine sits for a while.
                                                   David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Atlantic Trader

Thanks David, I will take it off tomorrow, and have a look, my breather is just a hole in the cylinder about 2/3 up, it doesnt look like it ever had a fitting on it.

buck117

Would any of you happen to have a part number for brake cylinder seal kit?

Neilo

There are different diameter brake cylinders depending on age of machine.

buck117

Neilo,
you are right I should have specified. 79 TJ 225D is the year and model of the machine.  It's the cylinder where the retaining pin runs through the top instead of the 2 tabs on the top.   

Thank You Sponsors!