iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about a Log sled

Started by Momatt, January 03, 2017, 03:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momatt

Hi Guys.  Someone recently posted here a link to "Ben's Mill"  a great documentary worth watching.  One of the projects shown was a sled. I just got a mill and naturally went and cut a couple logs.  I threw a cable choker on them and dragged them out with my case 455c.  The logs were about 20 inch diameter 25 foot long walnuts and boy did they tear up my pasture and get all muddy.  I do not have a way to wash the logs and do not want to cut all that mud every time.  I also do not have a debarker.  A log sled or go devil seems like a solution and I intend to build one.  Get to blacksmith and do woodwork both of which I enjoy very much.  Now owning a mill I can mill my own stock so its a cheap project too.    I could build an 8 foot sled and set shorter logs on it or I could make a go devil mini sled for each end and pull the whole log out in one piece.  What would pull better?

I was also trying to understand how a bob sled works where the front swivels.  How is that made, can anyone explain or have a picture or or a link to a plan that shows how that is made?  I am interested in this due to an experience I had with my logrite jr arch last week.  I lifted up one end of a log, tied it down and then tried to pull the log with a cable (not the arch handle).  I thought this would keep the log up out of the dirt some.  Might have worked if I'd have hooked on straight, but was a little sideways and nearly ruined the arch pulling it sideways.  A ridged sled might come apart if you are not pulling it straight?, I'm thinking the bobsled design addresses that.  I do not have snow much so will be pulling in mud or frozen ground.  I suppose a arch is the best way, but they are over a grand and I can build this for near free.

Your thoughts and experience are sure appreciated.

Matt 

TKehl

You've already nailed the drawbacks, Missouri Matt.  Sleds work better on snow and snow doesn't stick around here all that long.  Wheels work better on dirt.  Nothing works great on mud. 

I would think even a mobile home axle without tires would be better than a sled.  Tires better yet.  Any sort of axle should do for this low speed "bring it in from the woods" approach.  A drops spindle axle may be the best as the axle would be low to load, but a bit higher when pulled.  Would be well under $200, chains included. 

Check this out for an example:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2299.0.html

From one MIZZOUrian to another.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WV Sawmiller

Momatt,

Never built one and always thought a go devil was a long tailed outboard motor for use in shallow water (looks like a weedeater with a propeller). Obviously different regions use the same name for different equipment unique to their area.

One thought might be if you are hauling long logs to make 2 sleds. One on the front and one on the back like a rear axle on a pulp wood truck. I have a small dolly like that I use with my ATV and log arch. I lift one end, put the dolly under it and cinch it down with a ratchet strap then go pick up the other end with the arch and tow it. Looks to me like you should be able to do the same thing with a sled.

Good luck. Be careful - those wild rides down the hillside are still exciting but not nearly as uch fun as they used to be.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ChugiakTinkerer

Granted the design is for hauling on snow, but the bob sleigh you describe is something you can make without too much investment.

Forum member Quebecnewf has some pictures:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,43239.msg626301.html#msg626301

His sleighs have a plastic shoe to reduce friction, made out of UHMW polyethylene.  Reduces friction considerably and is pretty durable.  One use of the material is for lining dump truck beds.
Woodland Mills HM130

wesdor

Not trying to take this off topic, but I have a Logrite log arch. Works wonderfully in snow or dry or even wet ground.  Lots of members have built their own.

Click on the sponsor link on the left, or this should take you there
http://www.logrite.com/store/Category/log-arches

4x4American

Just get a forwarder and be done with it!
Boy, back in my day..

47sawdust

You might consider buying an old wagon running gear with rubber tires.They can be had pretty reasonable.This would work well if your tractor has a loader and you have space to turn around.Usually there is a range of adjustment for length.Leave the bed off and extend the bolsters to make a poor man's forwarding trailer.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

tgalbraith

Momatt-
The front sled on a bob-sled has a upper bunk secured with a pivot-point,  The drawbar is attached to the runner section, so that when you make a corner; the runners are forced to follow the turn, while the upper bunk stays in line with the logs on the load. The rear set of runners has a fixed bunk and the two units are normally tied together with chains that attach to the rear of the front bunk.  Hope this helps you to understand the system.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

never finished

I've got a arch that only picks up one end of the log. I put a car hood under the dragging end and go across yards with no damage. It's amazing how big of a log a atv can pull like this. Can you lift one end with the 445 and drag the other on a car hood? Or put each end on a car hood?  Bent ones come pretty cheap at the local body shops.   

kelLOGg

These 2 have served me well.
The 1st is a fetching arch that lifts one log end and drags the other. Made for logs up to 25" dia.
The 2nd is a tractor arch with a 40 inch throat. I have carried multiple logs with it.
(I enjoy welding, otherwise I wouldn't have these)

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!