iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

scarf joint location

Started by jtbartlett, April 01, 2011, 09:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtbartlett

I am starting to draw up plans for a 24 X 40 shed style frame. The longer axis will make scarf joints necessary on the back eave girt, the upper ridge beam and the front eave girt. I am constrained to 18' timbers (length of sawmill bed) so I'm having a bit of trouble placing the scarf joints over support. Is it acceptable to put a tenon through a scarf joint? I believe I'll need to locate at least 1 scarf joint directly over a post. The bays are 14', 12', 14' and the beams are 10X12. https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-95964

jtbartlett

Or, I guess I should have asked if it's ok to put a tenon through a splayed scarf joint, or is it better to use a bladed scarf? I'm pretty green about timber framing but slowly catchinh up.

witterbound

Seems to me that there is a difference of opinion on where to put a scarf joint.  Some think over a post, and others think over a brace.

jtbartlett

Right, I'm having the problem of having 2 scarf joints in a 40' span. I have great examples of a bladed scarf with a through tenon into a sill, but have not seen an example of one in a girt. I'll look around some more, it's probably as common  as green grass but it's all brand new to me. Thanks.

Jim_Rogers

First of all there are some rules to sizing scarfs.

One that Jack Sobon likes to use is the length of the scarf has to be 4 times the depth of the beam. So a 8x8 needs a 32" long scarf.

In the past I have used 3 times the depth of the beam, but will bow to the expert, and suggest four.

It is not best to put a scarf over a post.

Do what you need to do to move them and make it work, but remember that you will be taking the risk if you don't follow the industry standard.

More later on this when I have the time to post.

Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jtbartlett

Thanks Witterbound and Jim. Here are my plans so far. They are not done. I am using Google Sketchup to draw them. I am trying no eliminate a 'floating' joint (for lack of a better term) by placing them over the inside posts. 

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Jim
That is a good thread to point out why one shouldn't put the joint over the post. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jtbartlett

Thank you very much for the link.

Thank You Sponsors!