iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scarf Joint question

Started by billyO, April 15, 2011, 09:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyO

Hello all.  Let me start by saying I'm not necessarily considering doing this (unless the overwhelming response is, "Great idea!").  I saw a picture of a scarf joint with straps tying the jont together, and, as a blacksmith, started wondering if this type of scarf joint could be used on a load bearing beam?  (incorporating artistic ironwork into timber framing)

beenthere

Sounds worthy of consideration.

Seems whether the straps are necessary for tying the joint together or not, they would/could add to the aesthetics of a timber frame if done right.

Artistic ironwork in timber framing prolly should fit the size of the frames so it doesn't look puny and tacked on, also so it doesn't look oversized and overbearing to the eye. If that makes sense, but is how I see it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

witterbound

I think the look would be great.  However, if your beams are green when you raise your frame and apply the steel straps, then you're going to have gaps in a few years because the timbers will shrink. 

Thank You Sponsors!