iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2014 Fire Fighting Unit-South Carolina-Wildland Fire

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 07, 2013, 06:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I would think a V-blade would be handy on the front of that dozer. Is there a reason that you don't have one?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

curdog

Quote from: customsawyer on December 08, 2013, 11:42:05 AM
I would think a V-blade would be handy on the front of that dozer. Is there a reason that you don't have one?
I'm not sure about sc, but in nc we use the 6 way blades in the central and western part of the state so we could bench line on a hillside. Some of the eastern tractors in the wetter/ flatter areas will have vblades or kg blades to get through the heavy pocosin fuels. our dozers don't usually run plows just put in bladed line.
Poston, that's a sharp lookin hauling unit, I like those smaller trucks that you can get into those neighborhoods and steeper curvier roads.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on December 08, 2013, 11:42:05 AM

We tried the V-blade years ago. Not very good at pushing a tree down or building water bars.
The 6 in one blade works the best.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Poston
Do you carry a chainsaw on board? Or go around any deadfalls that are too big to go over or through?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on December 08, 2013, 12:26:27 PM
Poston
Do you carry a chainsaw on board? Or go around any deadfalls that are too big to go over or through?

The dozer carries a back-fire torch. The chainsaws will be on the Supervisors pick-up.
I clear around all the dead falls and keep them in the burn area if they are close to the fire line all others are pushed to a safe area.
We do use the chainsaws during mop-up to saw down burning snags etc.

RynSmith

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 07, 2013, 06:51:30 PM
Regulations say federal land can not have fire fight equipment on it. Everthing must be done by hand.

I don't understand this, do you mean no state-owned equipment on federal land?   ???

We certainly used a dozer on Forest Service land...

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: RynSmith on December 08, 2013, 12:58:43 PM
Regulations say federal land can not have fire fight equipment on it. Everthing must be done by hand.

I don't understand this, do you mean no state-owned equipment on federal land?   ???

Yes we have also on Forest Service land. But the Feds have thousands of acres they are keeping as natural as they can. These lands are not even logged. If fire occurs....it is managed by hand tools.
We have a lot of Forest Lands like that in S.C.

beenthere

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 08, 2013, 01:40:28 PM

Yes we have also on Forest Service land. But the Feds have thousands of acres they are keeping as natural as they can. These lands are not even logged. If fire occurs....it is managed by hand tools.

That is sad that the Feds manage their land that way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can understand the sadness....some of these lands around her have old Indian pottery fields in them.
Don't get caught in one of these fields......so says the signs.
Lots of historical "stuff" going on on these lands. I can see what logging and equipment would do.

Ken

That is a sweet looking office.  I'm jealous knowing that I have a bit of dozer work tomorrow.  My heater doesn't work so well and it is supposed to be -16c in the morning.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Migal

:)
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 08, 2013, 01:40:28 PM
Quote from: RynSmith on December 08, 2013, 12:58:43 PM

apparently they don't own a sawmill  ;D
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

red

So you just ride around in brand new equipment for 30 years and you get a certificate ?  Well we are very happy you still have Ten fingers and Ten toes.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

timberlinetree

Neat! I always wanted to work fighting forest fires. If you do find Indian pottery don't take any for a souvenir! I found out the hard way!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: timberlinetree on August 13, 2016, 05:57:21 AM
Neat! I always wanted to work fighting forest fires. If you do find Indian pottery don't take any for a souvenir! I found out the hard way!

We have federal signs posted in our states forest lands. You're right.....best to leave history alone.

Thank You Sponsors!