iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Red Cedar Log Scale

Started by Dirtdobber, January 10, 2010, 12:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtdobber

Hello Everybody,  I'm new to this forum and I must say i'm glad that I ran across something like this. I have been cutting cedar off and on for about 18 or 19 years. I got away from it for awhile as my trade is well drilling which does not allow much time for my passion of cutting cedar. I've recently started cutting on about a five acre cedar thicket and also aquired a Timberking 1220 band mill. The problem now is all the mills that I used to sell to have went out of business. I have found a couple mills via the internet within 3 to 4 hours from where I am, which is east TN (Claiborne County) about 40 miles north of Knoxville. Any information on cedar log yards or anyone needing lumber would be appreciated. The other issue is that most people around don't have any idea about what i'm talking about when I mention the cedar scale. Is anyone on here familar with the cedar scale? One company that I found says they use the cedar scale, most say they use only the Doyle scale which with small cedar, you lose alot of board feet. I look forward to any input you have.                                                                                Thank  You!!!

LeeB

Do a serch for cedar scale. there are a couple of posts with one pictured.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Dirtdobber
Welcome to the forum.
As LeeB said, a search here may help.

Also, a publication that discusses log rules/scales is available online, and in that shows comparisons between the different log rules (as they compare to International 1/4" I believe). It gives the formula used as well.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr01.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Dirtdobber...Welcome to The Forestry Forum..... :)  Good luck with your new business.  8) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

And then there are the regional scales. Up here we use either Bangor Rule for the US (Maine) markets or New Brunswick Rule for the domestic woods. Our cedar is white cedar and we always scaled NB rule.  Otherwise we use Smalian's formula. So, there ya go. ;D

Attached NB Log Scale
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I wasn't trying to snow Dirtdobber under with a bunch of scales/rules. Just some information about where the Eastern Red Cedar Log Scale fit relative to the Doyle scale.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

:D :D

I know, thought it might be interesting to compare scales. One more won't hurt. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

I think I have eastern red cedar scales in my office.  If you email me privately through my profile (click on my user name)with your mailing address, I'll put one in the mail to you if I can find them.

fishpharmer

Welcome to the forum dirtdobber.  This is a great place.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Cedarman

For 8' lengths the cedar scale used in most of central US is:
4"   4'
5"   7'
6"   11'
7"   14 or 15' depending on who made the scale
8"   19'
9"    24'
10"  30'
11"  36'
12"  43'
13"  50'
14"  58'
15"  67'
16"  76'
17" and up use Doyle scale

This is what all the mills that I know of use.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

Just by comparing the scales, it seems NB Rule gives better scale for logs > 7". A 16" white cedar scales to 85' on 8' logs.

Dirtdobber

Thanks Everyone for the welcome and thanks for the information and the help.  The chart from Cedarman matches what i've been able to come up with around here. Had someone wanting information on posts and fencing material today, so maby i'll be able to get the ball rolling alittle bit before long.   Thanks again Everyone!!!

SwampDonkey

Cedarman's would be the proper scale to use for sure. I was only curious of the numbers between the scales.

wildfire

My mill requires 10' and 12' cedar logs, can someone post the cedar scale for these lengths or the formula, minimum 8" top.  Thank you, I have 50 logs ready to go to the mill.

Thank You Sponsors!