iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of tree is this?

Started by Dieseltim, July 02, 2017, 12:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieseltim

Im usually good at identifying trees, but this is one I don't know.  Anyone else know what this might be?

JBlain

Maybe an spruce log? Looks like it has been sitting a while. 
Josh

Dieseltim

Not really much spruce here south of Atlanta Ga.

I'm thinking maybe it is a large Bradford pear. But, I've never seen one this big before. Usually the wind breaks them before they get bigger than 18 inch.

I have 2 logs, probably from the same tree. They are about 12 ft long and 20 - 24 inch. They seem solid. So, I'm planning to cut them to see what they look like inside. Lol

Ga Mtn Man

I don't know either but you might have better luck if you post it in the Tree and Wood ID board.  Or wait long enough and admin will likely move it for ya. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

paul case

some of our cherry looks like that.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

My first thought was Spruce. Does it have a row of limbs about every 2'? I have an old Christmas tree patch of Norway spruce on my place and they look a lot like that.

I can't tell without the needles or such but was wondering if some kind of pine or Hemlock or such.

Would be nice to be able smell the log and see more about it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

My first impression was spruce....wavy lumber....bring me something else.   Would help to see fresh cut end.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dieseltim

I'll post more pictures once I cut it into boards.

Dieseltim

Ok got the first one cut this morning. Make some 8/4 live edge planks about 18" wide by 10' long.

Dieseltim

Even got about 6 pieces that can be book matched.

Dieseltim

Oh yea almost forgot, wide rings, fast growing, no noticable smell.

Thank You Sponsors!