iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Career Opportunities in Forestry and Logging: Part 2

Started by BlaBla, July 09, 2006, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaBla

Almost two years ago, I started a topic concerning my interest to get a degree in forestry. Here's the link https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7975.0. Since then, I've investigated the possibilities at dozens of schools, and I'm now enrolled at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (actually the only school mentioned in the previous thread :)) to begin this fall. The actual degree is Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences with a Concentration in Forest Science. The degree is an SAF-accredited forestry degree.

In that thread, many of you specified the need for courses in GIS and courses relating to GIS. I have investigated this, and I plan to involve myself in this at the university.

What else would you foresters on the forum recommend that I do during college to maximize my marketability in the forestry sector?

As of now, I am VERY sure that forestry is what I want to do, and I am fairly sure that I will study it as an undergraduate, as a graduate student, and possibly a post-graduate. In addition, I have investigated the possibilities of a minor in business or a double-major in Horticulture with an Urban Forestry concentration. What do you all recommend as the best path?

In addition, my career plans are not as definitive as my educational plans. There are many possibilities that I believe I would enjoy, but I am not set on any one career. I do an interest in research as expressed here and linked here.What particular aspects of forestry that translate into careers in forestry do you all find most interest and ultimately, rewarding?

Thanks

Tillaway

One thing that pops into my mind is.... law.  A forester/attorney could reap the better pay of an attorney while still being involved with the forests.  The conflict industry has been developing for the past several years and an attorney with real forestry knowledge could be in great demand for representing government and private concerns in the wake of litigation spawned by various non-profit groups. 
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Riles

Quote from: BlaBla on July 09, 2006, 04:16:21 PM
What else would you foresters on the forum recommend that I do during college to maximize my marketability in the forestry sector?

Show up for class. Get good grades.

You'd be surprised how those two things are related. It comes down to your work ethic. It's not that hard to stand out in a crowd, and when your potential employers call back to your professors for a recommendation, you don't want the response to be "Well, he usually showed up for class."

I'm halfway through a forestry program now, and have a ton of suggestions on how to be a good student (this is my third degree, I started with a BS in electrical engineering in 1983), but it all comes back to your work ethic.

I can concur that GIS is hot, by the way.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Phorester

Involvement in outside organizations will be a big plus.  Clubs, church, community org. in town, etc.

Get your head out of the books frequently and sharpen your human relation skills.  Take public speaking, maybe get on debate teams, take journaliam courses, creative writing, etc.  No matter what you eventually decide to get into, interacting effectively with strangers both one on one and in groups is vitally important.  Good communication skills will be a plus with an employer.

beenthere

Join the Society of American Foresters (SAF) local chapter and attend as many meetings as schoolwork will allow, as you will get to know some 'older' professionals. Don't be bashful, and don't be a nuisance, but let them know who you are and what your interests are in a possible career.   Schoolwork is most important (wish someone would have told me that  ;D and made me listen better  :D  ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Definitely sample the outside activities with clubs and organizations.  Yesterday, I went on a dig in a cave to find new passage with people I met because I joined the Outing Club while in college 40 years ago.  I have been bumming around with these same people all this time.  Even though some are scattered across the US, we get together from time to time to go hardcore caving.  Your career will make many twists and turns throughout your life, but the people you meet in college tend to be your friends for life.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

MFinity

I've but recently joined this forum and have greatly enjoyed reading the dialogues here  :P

Nothing beats real life experience in the woods.  If you're going to be a forester - whether you later get a PhD and specialize, or whether (like me) you choose a generalist do-it-all kind of career - the very BEST, but that's only my humble, but correct opinion heheh  ;D  above all you should be intimately familiar with forest ecosystems.  to be well - grounded in the forest  You need communication skills, now more than ever. 

Be determined and patient.  When I finished school in 1976 (oops, dating myself here) there was a glut of forestry graduates.  Not sure it's that bad at the present  time, but there always seems to be an oversupply of graduates.  I recall that only a very few people with the best grades at the top of the class found what you would call a traditional "Forester" job - whether Federal or State or County or local government - or private industry. 

Others, like me, had to be more "creative".  Some found seasonal jobs from which they hoped to eventually work up into a permanent position.   Others, like me, served a couple of years in the Peace Corps, which turned out to be a foot in the door to a professional job.  Others found their way to a different but equally rewarding profession.

Forestry is really a very small profession compared with other professions such as medicine, law, or engineering -  although the number of jobs in associated disciplines is growing, especially those using hot technologies like GIS.  GIS has dramatically changed natural resource management - it has been truly astounding how much information management has changed forestry - and I've been very lucky to be in a position where the technology is quite accessible.

My advice is to get a diversified education heavy in science and math with a generous sprinkling of the liberal arts and social sciences.  If you can, go on to a graduate school and get a Master's.  Pursuing a forestry degree can give you an excellent science-based education that can be valuable in many other fields.   Be flexible!

Always remember that getting a degree is only the beginning - your education should be lifelong. You do need good grades, and extracurricular activities are always a plus, but - given all those things - the more hands-on experience you can get, the better.  Get an internship, do volunteer work, work on a summer fire crew, take a year off and take a seasonal position - go to work for your logger dad/uncle/friend for a while - but make darn sure you get out in the woods, too!  8)

That was more long-winded than I'd intended... my apologies to those I've put to sleep  ::)  I may not say much sometime - but watch out when I get rolling  ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MFinity

BlaBla

Thanks for all the ideas.

Tillaway--Today is the first time I ever actually researched law school after seeing your comment. I believe that I'm capable of doing well in school and potentially law school, but I've never seriously thought about it. Definitely some food for thought. I'd agree that there is a demand in that field.

beenthere-I didn't realize there are local chapters of the SAF. How can I find local chapters? I do know that most universities with forestry have a student chapter. However, the U of I does not--definitely an opportunity! But where can I locate the nearest group of "'older' professionals?"

Ron Scott

Yes, you should defintely become a student member of SAF. You will make many worthwhile contacts in the profession and the networking will be of great benefit for the present and future.

This should get you there.

http://www.siu.edu/~ilsaf/
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

We have a forester in our area that has a law degree.  He doesn't do much legal work, since he went into the veneer business.  He was a consultant, but went over to the veneer business because of more money and less headaches.  I was up against him in one case and beat him. 

Since you are early in your education, the only thing I can suggest is some good writing courses.  No matter what you do, you will have to write reports or papers.  Being able to write a good newspaper column will go a long way.

For me, I didn't really find out what direction I wanted to go while hitting the books.  I found out when I went out and got job experience, especially during the summer.  I had one summer with BLM in Oregon, and one summer at the local sawmill.  Sawmills are good places for any forester that is managing timber for a product.  You'll see the defects and figure out ways to avoid them.

If you are serious about urban forestry, then I suggest doing a summer with a tree trimming crew.  Honest work and you'll get a to know if that's a direction you want to travel.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tillaway

Ron
A friend of mines uncle is a attorney/forester, he spends his time with the law practice and invests in timberland. ;)  I think he does alright. ;D
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

BlaBla

All right. I'll leave the attorney/forester talk about three years down the road. :)

For now, I'll concentrate on
Good grades & Involvement
Communication--written and spoken
A little GIS

Anything else? 8)

Bro. Noble

For such a young feller,  you have gained the respect of a bunch of old know it alls during the past couple of years.  You have done so by sticking with your plan,  by being open and upfront----not trying to impress anyone.  These qualities have helped you here,  and will always help you no matter how many degrees you earn or what ever you end up working at. 

We're all behind you and look forward to hearing about your progress.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

MFinity

hmmmmm... anything alse... anything else... hmmmmm
(ponder)(mull)(think)(ruminate)(skritch bald spot while sipping a cold one)

OH!   :o  YEAH!
Be sure and have fun!   8) 
Can't forget THAT!   

Am quite sure you'll have great success - looking forward to hearing about your further adventures  ;D

Riles

Anything else? Oh yeah! The love and support of a beautiful woman. Helps if her daddy's a timber baron. Ought to narrow down the field some.

BlaBla

Thanks Bro. Noble. I really appreciate it. I'll update this thread every once in  awhile.

MFinity--Don't worry about that. That's why I'm in forestry...In the next few minutes I'm going out to some research plots and doing some inventorying for a professor in my department...which I consider to be fun. But yes, I understand your point.

Riles-- :D :D...I remember reading your thread about entering forestry school. Where did you decide to go? Was it Tennessee?

And thanks to the forestry forum for being such a great place to exchange ideas! :)

Riles

I commute daily to Louisiana Tech, riding the Harley 63 miles each way. I'm on the two year plan since I already had most of the general education requirements done and will graduate next spring. Having a ball!

Thank You Sponsors!