iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log arch

Started by Compensation, September 07, 2013, 03:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compensation

I had a little welder itch that I had to scratch so here is my new toy. The paint is still not dry enough to finish assembly. I have a feeling I will have to file on the inside pocket where they "Y" goes. Still have the "Y" with hooks and chain to slide in and cable guard over the shivs in case it breaks to slow it down. What do you think?

D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Compensation

Ohh and the clevis and second pulley are there for a come-a-long if needed, I call it plan B. The wires and controller for the winch will also have to wait till it's hardened up all the way. All in all it cost about $600. Sorry for the double upload at the end, I didn't see the same file numbers.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Onthesauk

Nice job!  Looks like an industrial strength arch!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

justallan1

Compensation

Thanks guys! If you see anything I could add or do differently feel free to post it. If you want any measurements or info about it let me know. It would make me happy to help anyone who wants to build their own like Deepwoods inspired my build.

nk14zp

What are you going to tow it with?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Compensation

O5' Kawasaki brute force 650. I am glad I ordered the straight axle instead of the independent rear end when I bought it. Next weekend I will see if my dad needs anything moved with it so we can see how the 400 Kodiak or 500 sportsman will do. As easy as this thing pulls, I would think a 250 timber wolf could haul logs. It also looks good behind the truck ;)

Magicman

Congrats on a very professionally built arch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Looks like a very solid arch you have there Compensation, congratulations.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Compensation

Thank you! Now that I have got to use it, I know what it needs. I need a 1'x3' plate on the inside of the upright and bent inward at the top where the corner brace is for the butt of the log to hit. Now I have to go aluminum diamond plate and u-bolt shopping.

Dave VH

looks great!  maybe some pics of it in action?
I cut it twice and it's still too short

trapper

looks good.  Add some deflectors in front of the wheels to keep them  from hooking on trees.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

QuoteAs easy as this thing pulls, I would think a 250 timber wolf could haul logs. It also looks good behind the truck

Getting it moving is one thing, but getting it stopped especially if on a slight to steep downgrade may be another.
Are you going to be able to drop the log while moving, such that the log can act as a brake?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Compensation

Quote from: beenthere on September 10, 2013, 04:40:04 PM
Getting it moving is one thing, but getting it stopped especially if on a slight to steep downgrade may be another.
Are you going to be able to drop the log while moving, such that the log can act as a brake?

I have only hauled telephone poles (pieces of the old huge transition lines) so far. I would say the big hill is about 30-35° and the rear or front brake separately could stop the whole rig. So guessing from that and experience riding my dads old timber wolf, I would say it could do a decent job. That is a good idea! It would only be a little extra wire to be able to control it from the handlebars. I have two controllers, one is a hand held and the other mounts on handlebars

Now that I think of it, a log left on the winch will reverse the gearbox and drop the log. So it would have to be towed with the chains.

beenthere

A jack-knifed rig going downhill is not a pleasant situation to be in, especially with maybe 1200 lb or more  log coming on over the ATV. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: Compensation on September 10, 2013, 05:25:48 PM
... I would say the big hill is about 30-35° and the rear or front brake separately could stop the whole rig.

That is a steep hill.  A 8:12 pitch roof is 34˚.  I would not want to try to stop a heavy log with just the ATV breaks coming down a hill of any significant length that is that steep.

By any chance did you mean a 30-35% (percent) grade?  That's only 17-19˚
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Compensation

Quote from: John Mc on September 11, 2013, 06:56:06 PM
That is a steep hill.  A 8:12 pitch roof is 34˚.  I would not want to try to stop a heavy log with just the ATV breaks coming down a hill of any significant length that is that steep.

By any chance did you mean a 30-35% (percent) grade?  That's only 17-19˚

Yeah, it is pretty steep. I can get you the exact ° tonight with my digital level. You do know we are talking about a brute force here right? It's like a mini tank with the computer from Mitsubishi. After I turn it off I can still hear the solenoids and stuff shutting down by the time I am in the house.

thecfarm

It better be a mini tank with a log that is being held up in the air. I haul about a cord of wood down a steep hill with a 4wd 40hp tractor. There is no way the brakes would stop me,if the front wheels was not holding me back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Compensation

I will try to have some pics hauling and what not posted this weekend for you guys.

beenthere

QuoteYou do know we are talking about a brute force here right

'05 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 is what you said it was earlier.
Weighs what, 650 lb soaking wet?

A log of any real size, say avg 16" diam and 16' long if oak, weighs 1400+ lbs.

Hope you do ok with it. ;)  And look forward to the pictures. Maybe we'll all learn something new.
south central Wisconsin

barbender

I think if I was pulling big logs with an atv, I would only lift one end of the log and leave the other dragging for some natural braking. Keep in mind, I've never pulled a log arch with my atv. Do be careful on the hills, but I trust you know what you're doing, Compensation ;)
Too many irons in the fire

John Mc

I pull logs with a compact tractor that weighs over 4000# (between the tractor, filled tires, loader, logging winch).  I've been pushed around by a trailer load of firewood.  It's less of a problem when skidding logs, since one end of the log is on the ground, but it's still something I pay attention to when going down hill.

I'm not saying you can't, or shouldn't, pull logs with your ATV.  You just need to be careful, and aware of the limitations.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Compensation

John, I misjudged the hill. I ran a laser uphill that night and got 26°. When your fat it seems like a 60° hill walking up it. :D  I have a trailer with 4-wheel steering I call "Tug" and ol' Tug can haul 2 rick of chopped up firewood and that hill wasn't anything for the ATV . While I am talking firewood, is a cord of red oak 5700#? Seems like a lot. But I also can't judge a hill either :D

Trapper, I forgot to tell you that is a good idea. This one cuts corners pretty tight the way it is so I don't know how quick it will make the bad words flow. You got me thinking about building a second one with internal wheels......with brakes!

John Mc

Compensation:  I have no doubt your ATV can pull the weight.  The question is, when going down your hill, can the brakes handle stopping it, and if so, do the tires have enough traction to hold in the conditions in which you are driving.  Even the most aggressive tire tread will be limited somewhat by the low weight of your ATV as compared to the weight of some of the loads it's capable of pulling.

With my compact tractor, I regularly pull up to a half cord of green Beech firewood in a trailer (similar weight per cord as your Red Oak).  A couple of times, as I've pulled around a bend going down hill, it has pushed the rear end of my tractor around, starting a jackknife.  Generally, this happened when I did not have the chains on my rear wheels, or when I pulled through a section of wet leaves.  I had to fight myself to avoid the natural reaction of pressing harder on the brakes... in this situation, the best thing to do turned out to be to keep driving, and pull the trailer on around the bend (and into a drier area).

BTW... your weight for a cord of Red Oak seems about right if you are talking green wood.  If it's dry, well-seasoned it should be down around 3600# or so. 

The towing capacity I see for a 2013 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 (on Kawasaki's web site) is 1250#.  You probably don't want to be pulling around a full cord of Red Oak...

Thank You Sponsors!