iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric Start Chainsaw

Started by HolmenTree, January 29, 2019, 05:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Hard to believe 52 years ago MCulloch built a saw with push button electric start.

Could you imagine what they could do today with Li ion batteries.
If someone could build one of these today they would sell alot of them with our aging population.  :)
Great video.

McCulloch 3-10 E , electric start chainsaw - YouTube
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Actually a guy I worked  with had one of those .He rebuilt the battery using cells like used on battery operated drills etc .

gspren

Are those cut resistant sandals?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hedgerow

Nice PPE. If they built a 90cc electric start chain saw I would be buying one. My bad shoulder doesn't like those big saws. 

sawguy21

I remember seeing an electric start Remington. Unlike the McCulloch it had no rewind so the operator either had to pack a battery or walk back to the truck. Not very practical.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

There was a McCulloch 10-10 electric too around the early 1970's , also a John Deere model.
Here's the rechargable battery pack that attachs to the rear handle.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

barbender

A buddy and I were in Home Depot one time looking at string trimmers, and they had a Ryobi that had electric start powered by an 18v battery. We were like a couple of kids cranking that thing over😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

I think you could make an electric start with li ion batteries work, but I think we will see more, and bigger, saws with just li ion batteries, and no gas engine first. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 30, 2019, 12:10:10 AM
I think you could make an electric start with li ion batteries work, but I think we will see more, and bigger, saws with just li ion batteries, and no gas engine first.
Yeah, new battery technology is pretty cool. Had the battery die in my Toyota one winter afternoon at school pickup. Another Dad says "Here, try my new jump starter". Little box about the size of your hand with a couple of big alligator clips coming out the end. OK, hook it up, and the V6 fired right up. Recharge it later from the cigarette lighter socket. I'm guessing it wouldn't do very many starts, but it could put out the amps for long enough to be useful. 
So a cellphone size battery, a starter motor the size of a small power drill's, and modify the flywheel so it acts more like a generator than just a magneto. (you don't need a huge amount of current so it's not rocket science). 
Now you also have power to run the electronic ignition AND the fuel injection. 
Heck why not fit a laser sight to replace the sighting marks on the case.  ;D
Issue with battery saws is still run and recharge time. Small saw that you use for pruning or trimming boards around the mill? It's not running "hard", and by the time you do use up the battery, the spare has had time to recharge. A big saw you might want to spend all day bucking firewood, not so good.  There is a LOT of energy stored in a 2 gallon gas can, compared to any battery of the same weight. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bosco

I have thought about using my cordless drill on some of my old trimmers, pole saws and whatnot, that will run just gotta really spin em a while.

Al_Smith

Might sound like a good idea except you can spin the nut off of the flywheel.Take my word for it  you don't want to do that . :o

sawguy21

Unlike a chainsaw they are clockwise rotation, the risk would be peeeling the end of the crankshaft off.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Inaotherlife

I hear Stihl has got an electric start backpack blower, which is a great idea.
It's a pain in the neck takin those things on and off to start it every time you want to turn it off for a second.

Inaotherlife

Quote from: gspren on January 29, 2019, 07:37:07 PM
Are those cut resistant sandals?
That's funny!
When I was in high school, I worked with an older guy, older than me, in a little plastic recycling warehouse, who climbed up on a running bandsaw while wearing sandles to get something unstuck in the grinder.
Well he knocked over the bandsaw and cut two or three of his toes off.
Me and another kid found them on the floor, but I think they were too far gone to reinstall.

doc henderson

I bought their 40 v chainsaw and blower with the 300amp/hour batt and rapid charger.  The batt and charger are the biggest expense.  I now have the hedge trimmer and concrete/metal saw.  You can get a battery backpack that is 1500amp/hours and work all day long.  expensive but starts every time, if batt. charged.  really nice for things that start and stop like the blower and trimmer.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!