iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric Start Saw...Husqvarna 120i

Started by weimedog, November 27, 2017, 12:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

starmac

What stock husky saw would you compare it too, as far as speed and power for the short run?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

weimedog

It's just different with different metrics. It's not going to compete with a gas saw, maybe the top handles. But here is the thing. It cuts fast enough to get work done. Long enough to accomplish actual tasks. We broke down two tops in that video, more than 1/2 hour of work. We were not using it continuously so I didn't get the run times..it didn't actually run out of battery. But all that Still doesn't get to the point of a saw like the 120i for for someone like me. Understand I have or can have any saw made. Period. Any brand. Any model. In fact built my "dream" saw blending 555/562 parts for day to day use. But still see a purpose for that saw.

First is was really light. Less weight than any gas saw I have. You can find 30-35cc class gas saw that weight and equally low on cutting power I guess.
Second is price. $270 as a complete package including battery and charger.

But you don't have to pull start, worry about a choke, worry about stale gas any of that. With a gas saw you have to factor in the price of the fuel you run after purchase. Have to think about the additional maintenance time at the end of a cutting season. Fuel cans to store gas etc. Not with those. Put them on the shelf, battery in a charger and its ready to go. Also riding around in vehicles...no GAS can to stink things up. So now can ride in a car. Also they are quiet. No neighbor issues related to noise in higher population area's, Also working with the wife, if we have two (plan to), can still talk and communicate.

So trying to compare to a gas saw simply with power as the gage misses the rest of the story.

Are these type of saw going to replace my 562, 372, MS660's? Nope...for two reasons, one that will never change. I LIKE my gas powered saws and until I can no longer run them will always use them as my primary saw. Over time technology will beat physics and there will be bigger badder electric saw...even then from a wheel chair I'll still want to run my gas powered equipment. An emotional thing.

Will I add to the existing saw set? Yup, probably two or three battery saws as they develop. This 120i surprised me because at the price point its actually useful. I can see buying a few battery's and its like refilling with gas to get through a day's work.

I will evaluate the "pro" offerings to see whats really the reason to spend that extra coin.

But to simply compare power misses the point for me...

Both Bob and myself are new to these. You can see real time the reaction we had to running that saw. It was real. I had no intention to put that on video in fact the point of the video on that day for me was the hybrid 555/562 saw. I ended up spending way more time with the 120i than planned. No it didn't push the 555 out of the pocket...but it was an eye opener. Moe to come on this subject..will try everything from Harbor Freight to the "pro" Husky's and Stihl's before its done.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

zoltar

I have an electric chainsaw (Husqvarna 321EL) that is handy for certain types of jobs close to the house. It's a corded 2 kW saw with a lot of torque, so I've never had a problem with the saw bogging down, but acceleration is very slow. Feels like it takes well over a second to reach full chain speed (50 ft/s ≈ 15 m/s). Does anyone know if this is a common problem with electric chainsaws?

starmac

Now you have my interest, are you saying husky is making a pro version cordless?

In your opinion, do you think one of these would be handy for trimming what little trimming there is around a mill?  How about to carry in a log truck for the occasional limb, or overlength log. The overlength log may be asking a bit much.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

weimedog

We are thinking along the same lines...I like the idea of a simple saw for the tractor. Not having to worry about gas and the age of the gas...I am buying one of the 120i's. Husqvarna has a "pro" version 536LIXP, I really don't know yet what the additional $400 dollars buys you on that 536 saw package. I also want to get a couple of battery's and a few different charging options sorted out. Hoping to have a 12v Automotive option and a solar concept as well. Not certain yet whats out there or where this will go. I don't see me getting rid of my 562's or MS660's yet. But I do see these as legitimate options to push the little Husqvarna 440e out of the pocket for the odd around the farm type stuff. Time will tell. Also I want to find a good pole saw option. Looks like once you take on a battery/charger system, the actual equipment options are those that work with a particular battery. Not wanting a whole bunch of different battery's and chargers like in the early days with wood working hand tools.

Spike60

Power wise this saw only compares to the smallest gas saw offerings in the low 30cc range. But like Walt was trying to say, there's more going on here than what kind of cookie time these saws will turn. It's more about what it is than what it isn't.

I only ran that saw once before bringing it up to Walt's last week. Tried it out Thanksgiving morning at 8:00am; (no noise.) Took down a 6" red oak. Cut it all to firewood length on about half a charge. Figured I could have done another tree of the same size on that battery. Two such trees would yield me a weeks worth of firewood. So, to do that on one battery means that saw could actually be a useful tool. Like any small saw, you have to pick your spots and cut stuff that is within the saw's comfort zone.

Here on these saw sites, the question of does it have a place among our regular saws is the one that would naturally be asked. And I think the answer would be that it's a real handy tool for the smaller jobs that we all have to do now and then.

The greater potential is for those people for whom saw ownership is a struggle. First, there are a LOT of older folks who cannot start a gas saw. Even with some of the spring assist starters, they get to a point in life where they just can't snap the rope quick enough to start the saw. There were 3 that came in the store just this past week. It's real hard to tell them they can't start a saw anymore and not be able to offer them an option. I've known all 3 of these people for years. they bring in a saw and say "it won't start" and then I start the thing on one pull. Delicate situation, isn't it? The 120I gives these people an affordable option. Won't cut with the saws they own, (Jonny 2245, Husky 450, Stihl 036). But it outcuts any saw that won't start.  :)

Then there are the occasional users who are unable to manage the fairly simple task of maintaining a fresh fuel supply. Their saw, trimmer, blower, whatever never starts when they need it to. Honestly, in today's world there are so many people who are zeros when it comes to mechanical things and they really should even own gas tools. They don't even know how the choke works.

All the money these people spend on carbs and tune ups can be eliminated by these battery tools. I think a large portion of the entry level home owner market will transition into battery rather quickly. The prices are comparable now and these tools make sense for people who struggle with gas tools.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!