iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange totem found in woods

Started by GW, August 15, 2007, 12:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

I found this just above the shoreline of the pond site. I think I know what it is and I wanted to see if I could "stump" anyone here.  :D 

Woodn't you?  :D :) :D

It's standing deadwood which is broken off just above where the photo cuts off.

SwampDonkey

::) It's fun when ya know something no one else does, eh?  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GW

Dan_Shade

is it a pine tree? or what's left of one?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

OneWithWood

Looks like a method for collecting sap.  Is it a pitch pine or a maple?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

I'm not from down there so i think its fair to guess. I think its from a turpentine harvesting tree.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

GW

I'm pretty sure it's pine for turpentine.

I'll be doing everything I can to save this beauty. :)

Fla._Deadheader

Go north from Folkston, and there's a whole plantation of 'em.  ::) ;D ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

GW

I think this is the third old turpentine tree I've seen on our property, but the others don't have the sheet metal. Any guesses about the age of these stumps?

Dodgy Loner

When I lived in south Georgia, we had a whole forest of dead turpentine trees that looked just like that.  They were standing in a pond that was dammed ca. 1910, and still rock-solid.  The pattern on the side of the trees is called a "catface" and was created by swinging a heavy metal club against the tree to remove the bark.  Only slash and longleaf pines produced enough rosin for turpentine production.

Judging by the way the sap was collected from that tree, it appears that your tree was tapped sometime in the 1930s or 1940s.  Before 1900, trees were tapped by chopping a big hole (known as a 'box') into the bottom of the trees.  The sap flowed into the box and was collected from there.  However, this method was very harmful to the trees and often resulted in their death.  A UGA professor by the name of Charles Herty (also an early football coach) came up with the method of pitch collection that was used on your tree.  Rather than cutting a box into the trees, he developed a cup-and-gutter system for collecting the rosin.  However, up until the 1920s, most of the rosin was collected in a round clay cup.  This proved to be quite fragile, so by the 1930s they had switched to the tin pan that is present in your picture.  They continued to use these tin pans up until the 1960s, when the turpentine industry basically died in the South.  The heyday was in the 1930s and 1940s, which is why I think it is most likely that your catface is from this era.  You can tell by the methods they used that it was no earlier.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

GW

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the info Dodgy, very interesting. They used to collect pitch here to, only from spruces. It was collected and used for goodness knows how long by natives for canoe making, then Voyageurs, and other early explorers working for the 'Bay', known as 'the Bay men'.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Very interesting post GW and thanks DL for telling about how turpentine was collected.

DanG

The industry isn't completely dead, it has just gotten really small.  There is a turpentine company listed in the phone book in Bainbridge.  I think I'll look them up and see what's going on. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dodgy Loner

My hometown, the great city of Portal, GA, is known as "The Turpentine City".  Every year, they tap some trees, fire up the turpentine still, and hold a festival in honor of this dying art.  I still have a bottle of turpentine that I bought a few years back.  You'd have to do an extensive search to find any companies that are actively producing turpentine from southern pines these days, though.  The vast majority of the turpentine we use today comes from Asia.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tonich

The turpentine collecting method is very similar here, including the metal sheet at the bottom, which is the final collector, hooking the collecting pot. Only pine are used for this purpose – mainly Austrian Pine (Pinus Nigra), which is very resinous. The whole procedure usually takest 2-3 decades. There is a special sequence of resin-tapping, done during in the years until trees matured, being cut at the end and then sawn. (even though it is a second grade timber).
This not being done nowadays. I suppose, we use Asian turpentine too.
I keep finding many tapped trees, when I’m out for marking.

Thank You Sponsors!