iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please be patient with us seniors

Started by bedway, January 23, 2008, 12:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

I have a computer that i had built on the west coast after reading this company and their units were rated excellent. Its got all the bells and whistles, this and that, and could probly run nasa if they needed a backup! Its got windows xp 64 operating system. Ive had it for about a year now and it use to be lightning fast. When starting it up in the morning it takes far longer for it to load, and seems slower than before! Im guessing this is probly an easy fix for you puter savy people. But,,,,those of us born back in the 40s havent kept up nearly as well as you younger folks with this technology.  ;D Can anyone explain to me what the problem might be,,,,,,,,,,and better yet,,with my limited puter knowledge, can i fix it. Im sure this is a very common situation with a lot of Mature!!!!!!folks.,,waiting for enlightenment,,,yours truely,,bedway :)

gharlan

Bedway. place your mouse pointer at the bottom of your screen and right click. A box should open up. In about the middle of this box should be Task Manager. Click on it and a new box  will open up with a list of options-applications, processes, performance, etc. See what applications are running and what the processes are that are using a lot of your cpu. If you have applications running in the background that are using all you cpu highlight them and click end task. If this solves the speed issues you have found the culprit and can then deal with it. If your computer  freezes you will need to shut down and reboot. If a process say svchost is using all your cpu then you will need to go to the microsoft update site and download the appropriate updates for your operating system. I know this is only a place to start but at least it is a start. good luck I know how frustrating it can be. Gary

Fla._Deadheader

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  I never knew you could get to Task Manager that easy.

I've always had to do a search function.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I was born in the early 40's  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

The hotkeys for taskmanager is control-alt-delete

Tom

Yeah, but don't  punch them twice in a row or you begin re-booting.

Fla._Deadheader

NORM  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Now yer making me look REAL stoopid.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

I knew that
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Click Start
Select Run
Type taskmgr
Click Okay

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Texas Ranger

And if you have Norton's that may be the problem.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Norton will slow you up real quick. I bought it in 2001 and ran it for about a week and had to remove it. I couldn't get stuff done.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

york

Hi Bedway,
For starters,run your Disk Cleanup....Cl start-programs-accessories- system tools and run Disk cleanup......reboot then run the de-frag.....you should do this a least every 6 mo.
Albert

Carries-Mom

Also, make sure you perform virus scans often and get the updates for them..sometimes those little buggers will slow things up.. ;)

bedway

I run the disk clean up and defragment it often! I have AVG anti virus program on here. It was the only anti virus i could find that would work on this 64 bit OS. I remember long ago comeing across a site that deals with this issue.http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=&letter=  Now i have to warn you, i havent a clue if i attached that link or not. ;D If, in fact i did attach, can anyone go over this and tell me if its recommended. Im showing 36 programs running, but im nervous bout ending any of them for fear ill hurt the OS.,,,bedway

york

Bedway,i looked at your link-wow-over my head...If you do end any programs showing,do one at a time...Don`t forget ya have "system restore"?
Albert

beenthere

Quote from: bedway on January 24, 2008, 11:35:39 AM
............. Now i have to warn you, i havent a clue if i attached that link or not. ;D If, in fact i did attach, .................

I most always preview my message and tell from the preview what is working and what is not...that will give me the clue ...if all ok, then I click on Post button.  Hope that helps. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

Yeah but nothing makes the synapses fire like hitting the post button. I think that's why we got the modify and delete options  ;D

I've found the sweet spot on my old CPU seems to be the upper left corner.

Larry

bedway, your problem may be the AVG program.  I have the free version on three different machines and each acts a little different.  On this machine AVG runs an automatic virus check of everything on the PC starting at 8 am.  It usually finishes in about an hour around 9 am.  During the hour it is checking for virus's my machine slows down to molasses in January.  If I want to do something quick I can go in and either stop the virus check manually or hit a pause button.  On Kathy's machine I was able to schedule the virus check and updates to run in the middle of the night so we never notice a slowdown.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

gharlan

Bedway, If you have 36 programs running you have probably picked up some malware somewhere and the first thing they do is invite lots of others in to your computer. With your computer knowledge i think your best bet would be to unplug your computer and take it to a computer shop and have them clean it for you. Now if you go to the task manager and click end task on all these programs it will only stop them for the time being but they will relaunch at your next startup. This is not removing them or anything else it is simply ending the process so if you end them and you have computer problems simply reboot and it will launch everything again. Now if you end the programs and it solves your issues simply put your computer on standby when not using it instead of turning it off. This should avoid the reboot and launching all the malware again. This will let you use the computer till you can get the malware removed.

Oh and you attached the link nicely. i looked briefly and his advice looks good but you may need to be a little more computer savvy to dump the problems from your registry. many of the problems disguise themselves as legit programs like svchost exe. you need to keep the OS system one.  Good luck Gary

Haytrader

Haytrader

york

Hi all,

my puter just came back from the Computer room,in Ithaca,ny.....and they put this on it...free too,check it out....seems to work ok....

http://www.ccleaner.com/
Albert

Fla._Deadheader

I'm with HayTrader. I show 51 ???

Can't one of you Computer Geniuses help those of us less fortunate, to walk us through how to identify and remove these things from the Registry Files ???

I know, you all make BIG $$$ doing Computer repairs, but, odds are, you will not do repairs for all of us on the FF ???  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Not sure I wanna click that link, Donk.  ::) ::) ::) ::)  Dr. Phil, eh ???  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

No, I absolutely do not watch his show. My mother does and I scold her for it. Why would anyone want to watch a show with a guy exploiting people's personal problems in public? I don't even know why anyone would want to participate. Makes my skin crawl.

beenthere

I'm losing my patience with this new Vista program running on one computer. VERY very frustrating..what seems to me to be natural with file saving and storage (on Windows 98SE and XP), just doesn't work the same with Vista. There exists a background file manipulation that takes place, and a file search doesn't find some files that are known to be buried in there.   My explanation is likely as confusing as my confusion.... ;D ;D ;D

Sorry to infiltrate the thread here, but in case I'm not alone, or some help is available, here it is.

While trying to save (save as) some project work my wife is working on, Vista insists on putting it in AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/ and the says Internet Explorer is popping up a window asking if I want to open Temporary Internet Files....  haven't the foggiest idea why I can't go to Documents/Wife/Cards folder and save a card project she is working on. (That even confuses me when I read it again)

This may be wrapped up in my wife's card program too, but file finding in the older systems is pretty straight forward.  So many unknown's and unfamiliar things happening in Vista....I do not like it at all

I will keep working with it in hopes to get enough information that I can help explain it to a frustrated wife, who doesn't like being confused by a computer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

OK, Donk. You 'splained yerself, so, I clicked.  ;D :D :D :D

It says, trial version only works in 4 or 5 sections. You need to buy it to get full benefits.

Kinda like dating, EH ???  ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D

I thinkin bout tryin it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!