iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hummingbirds

Started by Magicman, September 02, 2015, 06:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, the Hummers are back.  I saw one buzz by so Pat readied the feeder and within minutes we had one sipping.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Glenn1

We have a family of them living close to our log house.  It's interesting when one male trying to run another male off. I didn't realize how territorial they are.   They just love the nectar that my wife puts out.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Magicman

I guess that all of ours are migratory.  They will soon be passing through and at times we will have 15-20 buzzing around and chirping.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gearbox

Thats where our went . About 15 left over the weekend . We had about 30 for the last 2 weeks . going through 1 1/2 guarts a day .
Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Chuck White

Most of them have left for warmer climates, but we still have a few remaining!

We leave our feeders up until a week to 10 day go by without either of us seeing one!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sprucebunny

I saw one today.
I plant scarlet runner beans every year for them. The beans are just beans but having the tiny hummers around is priceless  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

I did not count, but I saw probably a dozen today.   :)

samandothers

Here we will feed starting around tax day to Mid October.

Magicman

We are off to a relatively slow start this year.  I guess that we need a bit more cooler weather.

Mooseherder

They're still here in Maine.  They'll be hitching a ride with the geese soon.

Magicman

Magicman

This cooler weather brought the Hummers in.  We will be doing the "Hummingbird Trot" refilling the feeder.   :D

Chuck White

We only see a Humming Bird once in a while here, now.

Most of them must have left already!

We do leave our feeders out until we don't see a hummer for a few days!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

Been feeding them about two weeks now. The males been fighting up a storm. Just think if they were as big as a eagle. :D Our Eagles flew to coop about a month ago with there two babe's.

21incher

Ours left about 2 weeks ago. I love watching the newly hatched ones grow from the size of a large bee to full grown and ready to fly 2000 miles in a couple of weeks. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

We are now filling the feeder twice daily.

It is difficult with all of the buzzing to get more that ½ dozen at the time.  As soon as you snap, there are a dozen but then instantly it's back to the races again.  They are sooooo busy.   :)

Mooseherder

We didn't get any Hummingbirds to the feeders today and think they have started their migration from Maine.   There was a couple hundred Geese in the fields north of us yesterday feeding in fields that had already been harvested.  Could be just a coincidence with their migration clock on the same timer.

Magicman

The Hummers are now emptying the feeder every 2 hours.  There is no way to count or even estimate how many??

One lit on my hand after I hung the refilled feeder back up.

Now another one is on my thumb and  there are two perched on my finger drinking.   :)

Shotgun

I gave our hummers your GPS location and told them you were an easy touch, Lynn.     ;)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

mesquite buckeye

I'm thinking they are plenty hungry. It is fun when they get friendly until one blasts you in the face with the afterburner while exiting.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Mooseherder

No Hummingbirds for the second day.  We took down and cleaned the feeders for next year.

Magicman

None there 'cause they are all here.   :D

Pat and I will be gone tomorrow so there will be some angry Hummers here.   :-\

Gearbox

The last of ours left this week . Take good care of them and send them back for the summer . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

LaneC

We have at least 5 here now.  I do not understand why they cannot just drink together and leave one another alone, but they always try and keep each other off of the feeder. anywho we are assisting them in their preparation.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Chuck White

Hummingbirds are very territorial and usually the baddest bird will control who eats from the feeder.

That's why we have a feeder on the back deck, the front porch and another hanging just outside the window where we feed the other birds!

Thank You Sponsors!